Review: Allegiant

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Page Length: 526 pgs

Rating: 3.5 Stars

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

I don't want it to be over!! I love this series and don't want it to end. But like all good things, it must come to an end. I had high expectations for this book, and I'm sad to say that I was a little disappointed. I'll start with what I did like.

Tris was fantastic in this book. I could definitely see the huge character growth. She was so strong and brave. She learned what self-sacrifice was. Christina and Cara also developed and grew in this series. Christina has learned how to cope with the sadness and devastation of the world. Cara has gained more sentimentality. I enjoyed the moments (although few) of lightness and happiness. My favorite scene was when Four was teaching Caleb how to shoot a gun. And the Four and Tris moment shortly before. ;) Roth's writing was lacking some action in this book, but she had some profound statements in this book that I admire, respect, and agree upon.

There were some (many) things that I didn't like about this book. I thought this book was way too serious. Granted Tris's world is cold and severe and war-ravaged, I still missed all of the lighthearted scenes. There was all death and destruction and very few funny and light moments. I hated how so many people died! I knew people would have to die, but Roth just slits their throats and moves on! I couldn't believe that Tori died. She just died in a horrible way and they didn't even have much time to think about it or mourn. I was perfectly ok with Edward dying. I cried my eyes out when Uriah died. Was that death really necessary? I'll devote a whole paragraph on Tris's demise later. I felt as though Roth killed way too many people in this series. We get attached to the characters and then they get killed.

I felt that the romance between Four and Tris was really awkward in the beginning of Allegiant. I also didn't like the two POVs. Usually you can tell which POV you are reading from but not with this book! The writing and the way that Tris and Four tell the story was exactly the same. I was greatly disappointed with that. I had to keep flipping to the beginning of each chapter to remember who I was reading from. I shouldn't have to do that when reading a dual POV novel. The reader should be able to tell from the writing whose POV it is. The book was so boring in parts, followed by short and few action scenes (until the last 100 pages). It took me forever to read this book whereas I read the other two books each in a day!

Four was very annoying in this book. He acted like a hormonal wimpy whining teenage girl. Get. Over. Yourself. So what if you aren't Divergent!? You still have a cool ability to resist simulations.

Another thing that bugged me, the explanation of everything. I was so unimpressed with the reason for Chicago and the overview of the world. It was so predictable and unoriginal. Humanity messed with genetics and now there are Genetically Pure (GP) and Genetically Damaged (GD) people. There was a civil war between the GPs and GDs and now a controlling government rules. The government has somehow managed to hide wars like Civil War, WWI, WWII. I found that highly impossible to do. GDs are discriminated against and blah blah blah. I've heard this all before. Chicago was one of the test cities where they are basically lab rats, where they are supposed to procreate and pass on stronger genes to eventually have GP offspring. And the Genetics Department sect of the government has cameras that they are using to spy on Chicago and other test cities! Unoriginal and sick and disgusting. I felt as though the ending was rushed. We didn't really see many changes occur in the world even during the epilogue. I felt like the problem wasn't really fixed that much.

The Ending & Epilogue:
I really loved the ending. The ending brought up the rating by .5 . Unfortunately, I was spoiled before reading this book so I knew how it would end. I was so upset when I found out and even though I was prepared for it, I still bawled my eyes out when reading it. This part was so emotional. I knew from the beginning when Caleb volunteered that Tris would go in his place. It was so heartbreaking reading it. I do understand what Roth was trying to do though, and I respect her for it. Tris was ready to die in each of the books. She was accepting her death in Divergent by allowing Tobias to kill her while in the attack simulation. That wasn't self-sacrifice. In the second book Tris was prepared to die at the hands of Jeanine Mathews. She turned herself in. That was not self-sacrifice. In Allegiant she learned what true self-sacrifice was and she made the decision. Her decision showed her ultimately strong character with Abnegation and hints of Dauntless and Erudite. I was so upset when she died but I understand why it had to happen. I didn't like it happening, but I liked the ending overall. Seeing Four's reaction broke my heart. The zip-lining scene at the end was perfect.

Overall I was disappointed with this book, but I loved the ending. This was my least favorite of the books but I still liked. I still can't believe it's over ;(

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe the series ended too! :( I liked how brave Tris was in Allegiant, although I wished she had lived. (I'm a sucker for a happy ending)
    P.s. The ending was spoiled for me too! I was so annoyed! It really messed up the ending for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww. I really liked that it was written in two POV's. Also, I loved all of the fourtris moments. I cry with the ending. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Insurgent (I know, I'm soooo late with this series) and I am super excited to read Allegiant. I'm a little hesitant about the two POVs. I assumed there'd be just Tris' like the first two books. OMG Four isn't divergent!!! Dude! Spoiler lol! I am putting off reading the part about the ending so I can be surprised! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as the other books. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)