Review: Boundless


Boundless by Cynthia Hand

Page Length: 448 Pages

Rating: 5 Stars

"The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all."

I really can't express how much I love this series. I can't stop gushing about it. I can't stop thinking about it. End of series books usually are disappointments, and I'm glad to say that this book was far from disappointing. Cynthia Hand went out with a bang.

The plot of this book was much darker than the other books. There was a dangerous edge to this book that made it more exciting and epic. I loved the increased action time and the upped paranormalness that this book had.

I always praise Cynthia Hand's stellar writing. It's truly superb, just like her! She's so descriptive, and I love her writing style. Just the way she tells Clara's story is fantastic. This series' plot developed so well over the books. You can see that she organized and planned this all out from the beginning. At suspenseful moments she doesn't just blatantly make clear what she wants to get across to the readers, she lets you think about it and figure it out. It's unique and lovely ;)

I enjoyed the scenery change too! Funnily enough, I was quite familiar with the new setting because I've been to Stanford's campus. I found myself missing Jackson Hole, Wyoming though.

One of the biggest things that I look for throughout a series is character growth. It's what makes the book realistic. It's why I invest so much in these characters. I want to see them grow and flourish. I want to see them develop throughout this story. I want to see how they changed because of what happened in this story. Looking back at the characters in Unearthly and comparing them to who they are in Boundless, I am so impressed with the character growth I've seen. Clara's gone from the cautious, timid, frantic girl, to the calm, powerful, feisty, protective fighter. I. Love. It. Christian has gone from the ignorant guy who doesn't think through his actions before doing, to a sensible guy who is attentive and caring and finally thinks things through. Tucker has learned to be more aggressive, especially over what he wants. *winks* He's gotten so much better at saying what he feels and dealing with the craziness of paranormality. (<--- Wow. According to Google, that's actually a word!)

This is my second favorite love triangle ever! I bet you're wondering what my first favorite is :) Well too bad, I'm not telling. Just kidding! It's Tessa, Jem, and Will from The Infernal Devices. Ok, well back on track: This love triangle was phenomenal. In most love triangle books, the love triangle is either the main focus like Shatter Me or a tiny problem that they quickly solve in the end like The Hunger Games where they spend 300 pages on the war and rebellion and 20 pages on the love triangle. I'm glad to say that this love triangle was neither. It was perfectly balanced with the angel war. It wasn't as heavily focused on but it wasn't thrown into a corner that was quickly resolved. Hand put the perfect amount of focus on the love triangle.

I got really nervous while reading this book. I seriously had no idea who Clara was going to choose because this love triangle is pretty strong to begin with, and it just got tighter in this book. I love how the love triangle builds in each book. It doesn't just develop in one book and not go anywhere in the next. Hand did a great job of making it progress from book to book. I'm going to keep my opinion of this part of the book neutral because if I'm mad, you'll know that Clara chose Christian. If I'm happy and ecstatic, you'll know that Clara chose Tucker. So yeah. I think you'll like the ending either way though! Yup that's right, I'm not telling!!

The romance was so adorable. There were significantly less romantic moments in this book (until the end of course) but the moments of romance were so adorable. There are so many swoon-worthy lines <3

"'Haven't you guessed by now?' I say, my heart hammering. 'My home is you.'"
^^ Just take a moment to "awwww" over that ;)

The only thing that I really didn't like about this book was the lack of Tucker Avery. He was in this book but not as much as the others. I understand why, but I really missed him!!

The ending was great. It was a bit too perfect, but hey, I'm not gonna complain! The epilogue of this book was perfection. No joke. The ending of the Unearthly series is PERFECTION. I said it! PERFECTION.

I can't believe I'm done with this series. I cherish Unearthly and am quite happy with the end of this book.

~Miss Perfection~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)