Review: Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Page Length: 387 pgs

Rating: 4 Stars

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
I was skeptical when opening this book. I saw the cover and read the synopsis and was slightly interested but couldn't get past the Cinderella element and the high-tech world that they lived in. 30 pages in and I was already regretting putting off this book for so long. It was fantastic. 

The writing is so descriptive and easily understandable. The beginning was a bit slow, and it took some time to get into the book. The plot is enticing and so many unexpected things happen that make you can't help but keep reading. This book had small elements of the fairytale Cinderella but there were also many twists and turns. I love how Meyer incorporated the little details from Cinderella  into the story. It was subtle and not overdone at all! 

I love the main character Cinder. She endures so much, doesn't ask for anything, is kind, and so funny! Prince Kai is amazing. He's going to be a great ruler with his kindness and caring nature. Iko is the best robot friend anyone could ask for! She's certainly more animated and lively than some people I know. 

The world-building was well done. Meyer weaves the setting into the storyline so well. She's not like other writers who just dump tons of details on you all at once. She really paints the picture throughout the story. The world that Cinder lives in is so amazing and futuristic and techy. 

The romance in this book was so adorable. There was none of that insta-love crap. The romance actually developed in this story. It was adorable watching Cinder and Kai fall for each other. 

I loved this book so much and have high praises regarding this series. 

6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read Cinder but never got around to it, but now I'll have to. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had cinder on my book shelve for quite sometime now and never really got around with it, but now Im more interested to read it and see the twist in the story of cinderella in tech-like world. I've also heard there's a sim series on it.

    Here's the link .

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGOZLUYkbbY

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The romance in this book was so adorable. There was none of that insta-love crap." PREACH! I was so relieved when I read this book and there was not Insta-Love. I hate insta-love! Iko is definitely is the best robot friend! She was my favourite character! I saw that you've read the whole series, so I'm guessing you are excited for winter? I can't wait! Thorne and Cress are my favourite couple. They're so cute <3

    -Rekha @ Million Book Mill

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)