Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas (Throne of Glass #2)


Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Page Length:

Rating: 5 Stars

Spoilery-Filled Review Below, You've Been Warned

""A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for."

I love the Throne of Glass series! I am entranced by the fantasy world of Erilea and the people in the story. Celaena is an awesome protagonist. She is strong, tenacious, stubborn, smart, inquisitive, decisive, and so much more. She was born to lead the rebellion. Chaol is so sweet and kind and intelligent. Dorian will make a great king someday and hopefully right all of his father's wrongs. He deserves a good wife too, someone who will cherish and love him, not the crown.

The storyline is much darker and more menacing than the first book. Throne of Glass was merely about winning the competition, solving the mystery, and creating a love triangle of sorts. Crown of Midnight is about so much more: defiance, stealth, deception, lies, love, trust, truth, and rebellion. I love the third person writing of this novel because it gives multiple perspectives and let's you see inside of everyone's thoughts. So much happened in this book. I felt like nothing was drawn out in this book, which I loved. This six book series won't drag on endlessly!

I like that the love triangle ended in this book instead of dragging it over all six books until the end. It reminds you that the love triangle is not the big plot of the story, there is much more important stuff to focus on than the love triangle. I LOVE the romance and how it builds in the two books. My favorite scenes are  when Celaena and Chaol are together. I enjoyed the nonstop action and Celaena's sleuthing. Crown of Midnight was really unpredictable. I never saw any of the events coming.

All of the three main characters annoyed me in parts of this book. 1). Celaena. I HATED how Celaena behaved after Nehemia died. She blamed it all on Chaol. And then she pushed him away. It was so sad seeing that and I hope that they will reconcile. Celaena basically shut down. It was so annoying! I just wanted to shake her and say "WAKE UP!!" She can grieve but she doesn't have to turn into a psychotic lunatic and go on a vengeance killing spree. Also, she told Dorian that she wants to be his friend. She just abruptly broke up with him when she was named the King's Champion and it made her look as if she were using him, when she really wasn't. She said that she wants to stay friends yet she ignores, avoids, and spurns him! That's just cruel Celaena. 2). Chaol was not a very good friend in this book. He wasn't there for Dorian in this book, like he was in Throne of Glass. He spends all of his time with Celaena and doesn't even think about how much his relationship with Celaena is hurting Dorian. Also, his loyalty is constantly questioned in this book. Will he choose his friends or the king? It was so infuriating that he couldn't decide! Your friends obviously! Come on Chaol. You're smart, use your head. 3). Dorian. Oh Dorian. You spend half of this book pining over Celaena while also cowering and bowing down to your father. Dorian has to start asserting himself and fight his father. Do what's right, don't be scared! He needs to get over Celaena. She made her choice, move on and find someone who will love you for you, not the crown.

By the Wyrd! The things that we learn about the king in this book are horrific. He most likely has two of the keys. Now he just needs to find the last key to open the gate and wreak havoc on the world. Scary stuff. Celaena has to find the key first! Why do I have a feeling that one WHOLE book is going to be Celaena in search of the key? I don't like that the threesome is moving away from one another. They are dispersing from the castle and moving away from one another. I don't want them separated!!

The romance. Oh. My. Gosh. I love you, CHAOL WESTFALL!!!! I absolutely LOVED the romance in this book!! When Celaena and Chaol were dancing, when Chaol nursed her back to health after the poisoning, and when they were having dinner on his birthday, and what came after! ;) The development was amazing. I was very impressed with the writing and gradual build-up. It was so adorable seeing their love develop over the two books.  The Chaolaena ship was sailing. And then it sunk. ;( Now if only they could get back together...

Some of Celaena's secrets are revealed in this book. WOW. I guessed one: That she was Aelin but the other: I didn't know that that made her a fae... I didn't even suspect it. It was so adorable when Chaol said that it didn't matter to him what she was fae. *AAWWWW.*  The ending of this book nearly brought me to tears. I can't believe that Chaol is  moving back to Annielle and that he sent Celaena to  Wendlyn under the pretenses of killing the royal family so she can actually run away to Wendlyn and seek refuge. The only problem is that the king will kill Chaol if she doesn't kill the Wendlyn king and heir so in the next book, Celaena has to figure out what to do. Keep in mind that the Wendlyn king is her relative. I nearly lost it when  Chaol and Celaena said goodbye before she boarded the boat and he said that he loved her. That  heartbreaking, heart-wrenching, tear-strickening ending. Everything is messed up by the end of the book. Everyone is upset and heartbroken. I hope that Maas fixes everything soon. I am SO excited for the next book, Heir of Fire.

~Miss Perfection~

4 comments:

  1. I want to read this book sooooooo bad! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Read it, it's even better than the first book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this book :) better than the first one too. I don't know why though. Did you read Assassin's Blade? Was it good? I bought it but are quite wary about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog, and I love this book too! Celaena is so kickass and Chaol is just <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)