Review: Hallowed


Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Page Length: 403 pgs

Rating: 5 Stars

"For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.
Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.
In this compelling sequel to Unearthly, Cynthia Hand captures the joy of first love, the anguish of loss, and the confusion of becoming who you are."
I am wholly captivated by this series. There's just something about it that draws me in and holds my attention for the whole book. There are so many aspects of this book that I'd like to highlight and discuss.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. The setting is gorgeous. I am so tempted to just pack my bags and move to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Hand describes the setting and scenes so well, you feel as though you're actually there.

This book was really sad. Hallowed had a sad tone and sad events to match. There were some parts that were so so sad and depressing. I felt so bad for all of the characters at one point or another in this book. This book centered more around one character's foretold demise and the building-up of the love triangle.

I love how Hand weaves little details and clues throughout her series and when she finally reveals the answer, it all makes sense! She's not like other authors where they just drop the bomb and the readers say "Wait what? Where did this come from?!" She writes so well and descriptively.

The characters are amazing. They are so detailed and have depth! They aren't paper-thin. They're realistic, relatable, and awesome. We meet a few new great characters in this book.

This love triangle gets more intense by each page! Clara knows she loves Tucker. She picked him over Christian in Unearthly. Now she can't deny her attraction to Christian and the chance that they were made to be together since their visions are entwined. I like Christian, but I still love Tucker more. Hand did a great job of ratchetting up the love triangle's tension. I love how Clara says she doesn't want to be one of those people who loves two guys and can't choose between them. I hope she ultimately choose Tucker again!! This is a tricky love triangle though...

The romance in this book was adorable. Tucker and Clara have so many cute moments together. Christian and Clara have a few moments too -_- It was so cute seeing Tucker and Clara so obviously in love. And then Christian has to ruin everything!!

There was a lot of action in this book. There was a dangerous edge to this book. There was peril at every turn, and they were always watching their backs. I liked the suspense and increased action time.

I really like this series about angels. Usually I hate paranormal series surrounding angels because it's so stereotypical and eyeroll-worthy. Not this series though! Hand somehow manages to make this story about angels unique, or just plain better. Maybe it's her writing and her characters. Maybe it's just that Hand does everything better! We learn lots of things about angels in this book. And we learn why Clara is much more powerful than a Quartarius should be. And we meet her father :)

I really enjoyed this book and am loving the series. On to the next book now!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, I've had this series on my TBR pile for years, and completely forgot about it until now :) Great review, it makes me want to run out to the library and borrow it right away.
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This series is great! I fervently read them nonstop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read the first book and loved it but I haven't read book 2 or 3 yet so I need to go buy them!!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)