Review: Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Page Length: 338 pgs

Rating: 3 Stars
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
I had heard great things about this book on Goodreads so I started reading it. I was hooked from the beginning. The storyline was intriguing. Shatter Me is unlike anything I've ever read before. I've never read a book where the main character is as shattered and broken as Juliette. The writing was unique. Mafi's writing is in a league of its own. Her writing is so descriptive and dramatic. There are lots of analogies and strange imagery. There's lots of ploce (repeated words and phrases to emphasize) as well. We see Juliette's thoughts from her mind to mouth filter (her crossed out words on the pages are her thoughts she would never say aloud). At times I really liked the writing; at other times I really hated the writing. It was a bit too much for me at times. I don't need to read a full page of repeated words. I can't tolerate the run-on sentences either! The writing was basically just emotion and imagery overload.

I really did not like the main character. Juliette is an emotional wreck, and she describes things in way too much depth. I understand that she's had a tough life but still... Adam Kent is so dull and robotic. I don't know if he actually has feelings and emotions. Warner is a mysterious man. He's an enigma! I don't know why, but I'm drawn to the bad boy. I can just tell he's not what he seems. There's more to him than this cruel facade. I'm going to keep reading this series just to find out what he's really like.

The infamous love triangle. Why? Why does a book need a love triangle? This is the most overused story aspect ever. We have Subject A: Adam Kent a.k.a. dull, placid robot, and we have Subject B: Aaron Warner a.k.a. the sadistic guy with power and cruelty issues. AND the person they are vying for, Juliette Ferrars a.k.a. the unstable, emotional wreck. Well this should be interesting!

I know I sound a bit peeved with this book. I am. But there's just something about it that draws me back in.

This book is an imposter dystopia. It's not dystopian people!!! Stop saying it is. It's not. This book is basically just a crazy love triangle with enigmatic characters, paranormal aspects, and unique writing.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said. "Imposter Dystopian" that's exactly what it is. Cool review :) Check out mine? Shatter Me
    A new reader : -Nymisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah it's definitely an imposter!! Of course I'll check it out ;)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I decided not to read the book once I opened to a random page in it and saw a kiss scene with one too many cliche lines. I love the what trails after the cursor on your page. :)
    A newbie on the book blog scene
    -The Nerdy Puffer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Welcome to book blogging! It's tons of fun.

      Delete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)