Review: The Fifth Wave

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Page Length: 457 pgs

Rating: 3.5 Stars

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.
Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

This book is the epitome of awesome alien invasion and post apocalypse story. The 5th Wave lives up to the hype. The beginning is a bit overwhelming and confusing. Eventually everything is explained. I like the different POVs. I love Yancey's writing and how every POV/story finally comes together in the end, and everything finally makes sense. Most of the story is told from Cassie's POV. I love the characters. I especially like Cassie. She is hilarious and badass. It's great seeing this alien invasion story told by a sarcastic 17-year-old. Evan Walker is badass and caring and awesome. Ben Parish is compassionate, driven, badass, hot, and a great leader. The rest of his squad is descriptive and awesome as well. The 5th Wave is horrific once you learn what it truly is. Oh, and Evan Walker is not dead. It's impossible!! There is a ton of action, humor, romance, and destruction.

There were a few things I didn't like in this book. 1). I didn't like Sam's POV. If you are going to write from a 5-year-old's perspective, make it seem like a 5-year-old's thoughts. 2). I still don't completely understand what the aliens are/look like. And how do they survive? Don't they have to attach themselves to a human or something? 3). The love between Cassie and Evan develops way too fast. I can see that Evan falls for her while he's tracking her, but Cassie knows him for two weeks before she falls for him. And for that first week she is in a comatose state. The love doesn't develop. They are fighting one minute and then making out the next. 4). Really? Another love triangle? Too many books have them. This one is interesting though. Who will Cassie choose? Her longtime crush, Ben Parish? Or the alien who gave up everything for her, Evan Walker?

Besides those few little annoyances, I thought this book was great!

3 comments:

  1. I really want to read this, glad ya like it :)
    By the way, LOVE your rating system ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    it's Me Ginny xD

    I Read The 5th Wave Yesterday,I LOVED it!

    I Think Cassie is Going to End Up with Evan

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)