Review: The Fiery Heart

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead

Page Length: 420 pgs

Rating: 5 Stars

Spoilery-Filled Review Below, You've Been Warned

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives.

In The Indigo Spell, Sydney was torn between the Alchemist way of life and what her heart and gut were telling her to do. And in one breathtaking moment that Richelle Mead fans will never forget, she made a decision that shocked even her. . . .

But the struggle isn't over for Sydney. As she navigates the aftermath of her life-changing decision, she still finds herself pulled in too many directions at once. Her sister Zoe has arrived, and while Sydney longs to grow closer to her, there's still so much she must keep secret. Working with Marcus has changed the way she views the Alchemists, and Sydney must tread a careful path as she harnesses her profound magical ability to undermine the way of life she was raised to defend. Consumed by passion and vengeance, Sydney struggles to keep her secret life under wraps as the threat of exposure — and re-education — looms larger than ever.

Pulses will race throughout this smoldering fourth installment in the New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series, where no secret is safe.
I loved this book! Richelle Mead is a fantastic writer who's captured my adoration and attention ever since I read one of her books for the first time, Vampire Academy. The Fiery Heart is the fourth book in the Bloodlines series, a spin-off of  Vampire Academy.  Many huge things happened at the end of The Indigo Spell.  1). Neil, a new dhampir, was brought in to help guard Jill. 2). Zoe, Sydney's younger sister, was brought in to have field experience and learn from Sydney. and 3). SYDRIAN happened!! <3 Sydney and Adrian finally succumbed to their attraction and became Sydrian.

I loved The Fiery Heart.  It. Was. Perfect. I could go on and on about the romance, but I'll devote a whole paragraph to that later. I was so excited when Sydrian went to the Royal Court. I was ecstatic to read of Rose, Dimitri, Lissa, Christian, Sonya, Abe, and everyone. Mead did a tremendous job with the dual POVs. I was afraid it would be a disaster, but no, it was superb! She writes so well, and I had no difficulty discerning the two POVS.

I saw so much character growth in this book. Angeline has finally matured and is less reckless. Trey threw aside his lineage to be with Angeline (so romantic!!). Adrian learned to live without his vices. Sydney lets go of her Alchemists' beliefs entirely and lets herself be who she wants to be. She didn't let anything hold her back. I love how defiant she is now. She's not the weak, frightened Alchemist she was at the beginning of this series: "'No matter how long or how difficult, we will undo whatever that Moroi boy has done to you.' I managed a wavering smile, tasting blood in my mouth. 'You sure about that, Dad? Because he's done everything to me.'" She is fierce. Don't mess with her!

The Romance:
The romance was so sweet and adorable and scandalous! I thought that the banter between Sydney and Adrian would disappear, but it didn't. They are one of my absolute favorite YA couples. They complement each other so well and truly grow stronger from one another. It was so heartwarming to see Adrian try to be a better person. Watching him and Sydney abstain from their vices (Adrian's - smoking & drinking; Sydney's - caffeine & lack of eating) showed true love and dedication. I loved the Love Phone. <3 The escape plans that Adrian kept talking about were so funny and heartwarming.

I loved this book and am having trouble finding flaws. I HATED Zoe. She was just so annoying and I wished her gone. Eddie was hardly in the first half of this book! This book centered a little too much around Sydrian though. I wish that more things of substance happened outside of their little love bubble.

Initial reaction to the ending:
*all happening while crying my eyes out*
No. No. No. This can't be happening. I can't even... no. NO! Sydney!! Poor Adrian ;( I HATE YOU ZOE. NO!! This isn't happening. NO!! SYDRIAN ;( No. The center will hold ;( ;( ;( ;(

I couldn't believe that ending. Well that's a lie. I COULD believe it. It was inevitable. I knew it was coming. It doesn't mean I have to like it!  That ending was so scary and sad and heart-wrenching and emotional and wonderful and horrific. Oh. My. Gosh. "Centrum Permanebit" "The center will hold." ;(

Now we have to wait until July 29th, 2014 for Silver Shadows.  The wait is pure agony.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)