The Guard by Kiera Cass (The Selection #2.5)

The Guard by Kiera Cass

Page Length: 64 pgs

Rating: 1 Star

Please excuse this fangirl-is-angry-don't-mess-with-her rant. 

"Before America Singer met Prince Maxon . . . 
Before she entered the Selection . . . 
She was in love with a boy named Aspen Leger.

Don't miss this digital original novella set in the captivating world of Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection trilogy. This brand new 64-page story begins just after the group of Selected girls is narrowed down to the Elite and is told from Aspen's point of view. The Guard also features a teaser to The One, the thrilling conclusion to The Selection trilogy."

I seriously don't know where to start with this novella. Honestly, it just made me VERY mad. First of all, everyone says "You're Team Maxon right?" Of course I am!! There is no Team Aspen. There's either Team Maxon or there's Team NOT Maxon. No one actually likes Aspen. He's just a self-centered guy who's cocky and arrogant and only cares about himself and his family. Throughout this book he always thinks that he's 100% correct about everything. And everyone in the palace fawning over him and saying what a bright star he is doesn't help shrink his huge ego any bit. He has rigid opinions on everything and refuses to be swayed. It's ridiculous. HE'S ridiculous. How America likes him or what she sees in him I will never know. Then again, America Singer isn't the brightest girl on the block. I despised her in "The Elite" and even more so in this novella. Aspen is badmouthing Maxon, and America does nothing!! She doesn't defend Maxon or tell Aspen that he's wrong about Maxon. She just agrees with whatever Aspen says and takes it like it's the freaking word of God. And Aspen calls Maxon an actor and says that he's actually a really bad person (takes one to know one), I was just thinking, I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK ASPEN LEGER. I DON'T CARE. GET OFF THE BOOK'S PAGES AND GIVE ME MAXON!!

And America keeps messing around with Aspen behind Maxon's back?! That is so low, and does she not remember what just happened to her friend Marlee?! Talk about inconsiderate and stupid and foolish. And Aspen, he claims that he loves her yet he's putting her in so much danger by pursuing her. If Aspen really loved her, he'd let her go. But he won't because he is a selfish adolescent who wants everything. If I hear Aspen call America "my girl" one more time I might just reach into the book and slap him so hard he sees stars. She is NOT your girl. You dumped her and now you want her back when she's suddenly all rich and high caste and famous?!

Aspen is really naive and foolish if he can't see the sparks between America and Maxon. Stop. Pining. Over. America. I also love how Aspen talks about Maxon like he knows Maxon so well, like their best buds and that Aspen knows everything about Maxon. No he does not!! They haven't even spoken two words to each other!!

I feel as though Kiera Cass has tried and failed to turn people over to Team Aspen, and she failed to make people think that Aspen's great, because he's not. Cass basically just threw Aspen at us and said "Hey!! Like him!! He's wonderful!! I just realized that I created the weakest love triangle in existence of any YA series so I'm gonna make it up to my readers now by giving the illusion of a strong love triangle since my series has nothing else to offer."

Aspen's POV was so dull and boring, and I just hate him so much. I was begging for just one or two lines from my dearest Maxon. My brain can only take Aspen's stupidity and self-righteousness for so long.

Well I'd like to apologize for whatever I just wrote. I am fed-up. *crosses arms and taps foot*

I am SO excited for The One though!!

~Miss Perfection~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)