Review: The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Page Length: 327 pgs

Rating: 4 Stars

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The Selection is one of those "bread and butter" books. It's short, sweet, and simple. This book is addictive. I read it all in one sitting. The Selection has the good trio of action, romance, and drama. There is a huge mystery behind the formation of Illéa that is making me theorize like a madman. What happened to the world before Illéa? It's a cross between Hunger Games and the Bachelor (only better)! The Selection is so enticing. The setting is enchanting. The plot is great! The execution was failing a bit though.

The writing is too simple, dull, and plain. I would've liked a better-developed writing set. There was no great word choice. The sentences were all the same structure. Some of the dialogue was a bit awkward too. The royals are supposed to have this refined sort of speech, yet it just makes them sound awkward and inarticulate.

I love the characters (with the exception of one)! America Singer is the most frustrating protagonist EVER. She is just so annoying and rash and daft. I love America's fiery personality (and that's about all). She has the uncanny ability of saying the exactly wrong thing. She got a bit irritating in this book because she couldn't decide on anything and had no idea where her emotion laid. Maxon is amazing. He is so sweet and kind. You can't help but fall for him!

Overall this book was great. I recommend The Selection to girls who love romance stories!

5 comments:

  1. Nice review. People were really negative about this book, but you make it sound interesting.. Hmm Might read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book when I read it :) America did not annoy me as much because I knew why she made the decisions she made in the book. I fell in love with Prince Maxon as soon as I came across his character and I always looked forward to the moments that he had with America. I liked Aspen in the beginning but after she went for the Selection, he acted like such a jerk, I wanted to give him a reality check but oh well. I loved this book nonetheless :) If you want to check out my review, the link is here: http://abookparadise.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-selection-review.html

    Have a nice day :)

    Much Love, Tanya x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved when Maxon and America were together too ! I know I should be used to America being rash and just deal with it, but gosh her character just ticks me off sometimes... Maxon is so adorable and cute <3 Thanks for stopping by Tanya!

      Delete
  3. I've heard that I might not like this series so I haven't started it yet. I do have digital copies and I decided to give it a chance. I'm not sure when I'm going to start it though.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)