Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Page Length: 452 pgs

Rating: 5 Stars

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.

I am kicking myself in the head for not having read this book earlier. It is fantastic! I was drawn-in right from the beginning. There are so many great elements in this book that I'd like to touch upon. First, the writing. It's phenomenal! The writing is unique and descriptive. I can't explain it, but Hodkin has a very distinctive writing style that I love reading. Hodkin's really paints the picture with her vivid imagery. Truly, I've never read a book like The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. This book is in a class of its own.

The Plot:
The plot was intriguing and absorbing. I couldn't put the book down. The things that happened were so creepy, messed-up, and psychotic. This book will surely give one the chills. The creepiness made the book even better though!

Paranormal Aspect:
I wasn't expecting the touch of paranormal in this book so I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled upon it. The paranormal side is unique as well. Mara has an omnipotent ability. It's so cute how Noah and Mara's abilities complement each other.

Romance: 
The romance in this book was adorable. I loved how the romance grew and developed. There was none of that insta-love nonsense. It was so cute watching Mara and Noah fall for each other. I liked the tension between them as well. There were so many adorable romance scenes in this book that had me sighing and "awwing" throughout the book. The humor in this book was great! There were so many scenes where I was laughing out loud. The banter between Mara and Noah was unforgettable and hysterical.

The Characters:
I love all of the characters in this book! All of the characters have depth! They aren't paper-thin like most literary characters. No, the characters in this book have feelings and emotions and quirks and there's just a realness to them. Mara Dyer is an amazing protagonist. She is so funny. I love how she tells the story. The words that come out of her mouth are hilarious. Oh she and her dry humor! She's such a strong person too. She handled her situation much better than I would have! She's also caring and fiercely protective of her family. Noah Shaw is... just... whoa. He is the epitome of a great guy although he tries to hide it. He's hot, funny, thoughtful, intelligent, protective. He's amazing! He and Mara balance each other out so well. Dan is the best older brother anyone could ask for. Joseph is the bright, funny little tyke who reads <i> the Wall Street Journal. </i> All of the other characters are descriptive and humane too. I was very impressed with Hodkin's character development.

My reaction to that ending:










I loved this book and saw only two flaws. Some parts of the story were a bit hard to follow, especially things that occurred around the ending. The creepy part is that you don't know what's reality or what's been conjured up by Mara's mind. Creepy and a bit confusing. There were lots of cheesy romance lines scattered throughout this novel that had me rolling my eyes.

Besides those minor things, I am completely and utterly in love with and captivated by this series. I read it in one day (thank gosh for snow days)!

Ms. Hodkin, well done.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book. I have read mixed reviews, but I really enjoy creepy/psychological books. Hopefully I can read this one before the end of the summer : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is really good! A bit creepy but still amazing. Enjoy!

      Delete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)