Review: These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

Page Length: 374 pgs

Rating: 1 Star
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.
I had high expectations for this book. The synopsis sounded interesting and intriguing and everyone told me this book was amazing! So me and a GR bestie, Lya buddy read this. Now normally I see my opinion as mine and mine alone, but Lya also hated this book just as much as I did. Now I'll do a breakdown of this whole book to explain my deep hatred and annoyance with this book.

Plot:
The synopsis is deceiving. It sounds action-packed and all fighting-for-our-lives-here. Well it's not. It's basically just two people roaming around doing nothing and hallucinating and going crazy and bickering all the time. It gets old fast. There was basically no action whatsoever. I can count the action sequences on one hand. Not cool. There were basically only two character in this book. I wish more people had survived because these two people (Lilac and Tarver) were getting on my nerves. Hardly anything happens in this book! They just embark on a long and uneventful journey and end up at some building. This story was so unoriginal. Rich girl falls for poor boy while they are stranded somewhere. That idea is SO overused. And out of the 50,000 people on that ship, you mean to tell me that only TWO people survived?! Not. Realistic. At. All. And this book is supposedly about "space." Well it's really not because this book takes place in space for all of 5 freaking minutes.









Writing:
The writing was so awkward and boring and dull. There was no technique or skill shown. There was no good word choice. The writing lacked style or flair. It was the same three sentence structures again and again. Talk about monotonous. The world-building was horrible!! I had NO idea what the setting was or what anything looked like. For all I know, Tarver and Lilac were walking through Jurassic Park. No one can tell me that's not possible because WE DON'T KNOW WHERE THE HECK THEY ARE BECAUSE THEY DON'T DESCRIBE ANYTHING!!

Romance:
We knew from the beginning that Lilac and Tarver were going to fall in love. Who knew it only takes around 10 days to find your soulmate and fall in love with each other?! I thought that since this book doesn't have a good plot going on, at least the romance must be good. There must be SOMETHING that gets this book rave reviews. I was wrong in assuming the romance would make up for the poor plot and writing. The romance was equally bad. The authors tried to go for the whole "forbidden romance" angle, and it was an epic fail. Lilac is just scared to stand up to her scary daddy so that's the supposed backing-up of the forbidden romance. Weak. This book focused more on the dull, sparkless romance (that didn't develop AT ALL) than the main plot of survival. Oh and SPOILER ALERT. They have sex because they've realized that they are the ones for each other and they HARDLY KNOW EACH OTHER.













Characters:
Usually in books there are at least a few characters that you like. Unfortunately there are only two actual characters in this book so you hope that you'll like them. Unfortunately, I didn't like either of them. They were so unrealistic, non-relatable, annoying, dull, and doltish, emotional wrecks. They spend all of their time bickering and fighting and saying "ohhh no, he/she can't possibly like me!!" And once again, sex?! really?!

Aliens:
The aliens were a failed attempt at the sci-fi and space angle. The authors might have even been trying for a paranormal side to their story. Who the heck knows what they were thinking?!

Me when I read that ending:









Ending:
This ending made no sense at all. Should I even bother talking about it? All of a sudden, the authors decide to flood us with all of this information because they are incapable of spreading the crumb details throughout the book like normal authors do. There is no way that the rea der could even fathom the answer to everything. The author just tosses the answer out there for the readers, and we are just left there saying "wait, what?"

 Hit or miss. You will love it or hate it. 

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this review! In fact, I plan on reviewing this book this week on my own blog (http://www.theendofthechapter.wordpress.com if you're interested). I went into this book expecting this great space adventure with action and laser fights and all kinds of cool world-building. I mean it had a Sci-Fi sticker on it at the library! Instead, I got, "Hey you're rich and I like you and oh no the ship crashed and I have to save you now by trekking across this empty planet while we whine at each other about how horrible our lives are." That's not scifi people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I might have been a bit harsh, but I'm just telling the truth, or my opinion of the truth :) I'll be sure to check it out! Yeah it's so not sci-fi. Being in space for 5 chapters does NOT qualify a book as sci-fi. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. When I picked up this book I was so excited as I read the synopsis since I'm a big fan of sci-fi. At first It was great for the first chapters, but than after Icarus went down everything changed. The girl was annoying and well the guy was sweet and strong character, but honestly this sucked. I can't believe I even bought it on hardcover although the cover is quite nice lol. At least the cover was worth the buy.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)