Review: Unearthly


Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Page Length: 435 pgs

Rating: 5 Stars

"In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart."

I've had Unearthly on my to-read shelf for the longest time. I've been stalling and putting it off because there was always some other book that I wanted to read more at the time. Last night I cracked open Unearthly and oh boy, by page 10 was I already regretting having put this book off for so long. Devouring this book, I finished it in a mere 5 hours. And now I'm on a book high. I'm in that euphoric, blissful state where everything in life is wonderful all because of a phenomenal book. I've found another series to add my fandom list, another book to gush about, another team to root for, and another hottie to gawk at and fantasize about.

An immediate turn-off for some people is the angel aspect of this book. They read the synopsis and groan, thinking "Oh no, not another dreadful book about angels." I was a bit hesitant as well. Now, having read this book, I can truly and honestly say that the angel aspect of this book is fantastic. It's well done and unlike the others. It's a simple and wonderful concept that doesn't have all of the gag-worthy aspects that other angel books have. It's no Hush, Hush or Halo, it's much better.

The storyline and plot of this book is enticing and exciting. Something always held my attention throughout the story. Something made me keep reading. We knew from the beginning that something big is building-up. And that climax, whoa. Talk about intense! Nothing like fighting an evil angel and having to decide who to save. It's all a bit mysterious by the end, but we can tell that something big is lurking in the background just waiting to make an appearance.

The writing is superb. I love the way that Cynthia Hand tells the story. I like the tone of the book, how she introduces the characters, everything! Her writing is so descriptive and perfect. You can picture every scene and every character. I like how she sprinkles information about angels and the mystery throughout the book instead of dumping it all in the intro or in a particular scene or in the climax. I love how she has the romance develop. It's not insta-love or immediate; it grows, it flourishes.

The setting is gorgeous. Having been to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, I knew exactly where and what she was describing, and she did it so well! I could picture everything again. The setting is just so enchanting and earthy and pretty.

I was least looking forward to the ill-fated love triangle. Love triangles are so overused these days and so poorly written. This love triangle blew away my thoughts regarding love triangles. I thought that no one (besides Cassandra Clare) could write a fantastic, strong love triangle. Yup, I admit. I was wrong. Cynthia Hand wrote an amazingly intense and strong love triangle. What makes a strong love triangle? 1). Two strong contenders 2). Two well-developed love stories leading to the formation of said love triangle 3). Sparks and passion & 4). Good writing (obviously!). So who are these gorgeous guys? There's the perfect boy of Clara's dreams (literally) Christian Prescott, and there's the cowboy heartthrob Tucker Avery. Both fantastic guys, both totally and irrevocably in love with Clara. Lucky girl! After much deliberation I've come to a conclusion: TEAM TUCKER!!

All of the characters are so descriptive and detailed. They all have depth. There are more than what meets the eye. You really get a feel for each character in this book. These characters are relatable and realistic and awesome. Clara is an awesome protagonist. Christian and Tucker are both amazing guys. Angela is hilarious. Wendy is the sweetest most humble best friend ever. I love them all.

I enjoyed this book immensely. This book is a YA standout that I recommend to all YA readers! I can't wait to start the next book :)

5 comments:

  1. Congrats! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check it out here: http://www.natashaslittleworld.blogspot.com/2014/03/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this SO BAD...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my shelf for the longest time, too! Great review :D Hopefully this will be my next read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read this book sooooo bad now

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)