Burn For Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian (Burn For Burn #1)

Burn For Burn (Burn For Burn #1)

Page Length: 358 pages

Rating: 3 Stars

"Postcard-perfect Jar Island is the kind of place where nobody locks their doors at night, where parents can sleep easy, knowing their daughters are tucked away safe and sound in their beds. 

But bad things can happen, even to good girls . . . and sometimes, the only way to make things right is to do something wrong. 

Lillia used to trust boys, but not anymore. Not after what happened this summer. And she’ll do whatever it takes to protect her little sister from the same fate. 

Kat is over the rumors, the insults, the cruel jokes made at her expense. It all goes back to one person--her ex-best friend. Someone needs to teach her a lesson, and, with Lillia and Mary behind her, Kat feels up to the task.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she’s not the same girl anymore. Now that she’s got friends who have her back, he's going to be in big trouble.

Three very different girls who come together to make things right. Will they go too far?"

This book centers around vengeance. Mary wants revenge on her tormentor. Kat wants to humiliate her ex-best friend. Lillia wants to make a guy suffer for hitting on her younger sister. These girls are ruthless, they'll go so far to bring these people down.

Well darn. This book was so enthralling! I don't know what it was, something just pulled me in and kept my attention throughout this book. Here's what I liked and didn't like.

I really enjoyed the plot of this book.  The premise is just so inviting and enticing. Three girls getting revenge. It was exciting and fun watching them set up their clever and cruel pranks. But then again, I did feel bad for the tormentees...

I have mixed opinions regarding these characters. The authors did a great job of developing some characters and didn't do so well with others. I could really make out the personalities of Rennie, Reeve, and Alex. Mary, Lillia, and Kat I found lacking a bit which is strange since they're the main characters. Mary seems psychotic. I understand why, but besides being crazy she doesn't seem to have much character. Lillia was my favorite perspective to read of. Her parts were the most exciting yet she seems like an impassive robot to me. Kat's perspective was unsavory. I don't care much to read of people doing drugs, cursing, and smoking. Call me a prude. She lacked class and personality as well.

I liked the three points of view writing style. We needed each side to tell the story. I liked how each perspective fit together and brought the book to a satisfying whole.

Although I liked the 3 POV writing skill, the writing was simple and plain. Nothing fantastic, nothing bad.

I think there's a paranormal aspect forming in this book? I think that will put an interesting twist on the rest of this series. When I first opened this book, I thought it would be something much different. I thought it was a world like the Giver and would be about a controlling community and stuff. Boy was I wrong XD

I like the setting. The quaintness of it keeps a sense of familiarity to the story that I like. I wish the authors better described Jar Island though.

Rennie and Reeve so need to get what they deserve!! I am totally rooting for their downfall. Oh and I totally ship Lillia and Alex <3 


Well these are my thoughts on Burn For Burn, share your thoughts here! 


~Miss Perfection~

1 comment:

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)