Review: Blue Bloods



Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz 

Page Length: 302 Pages

Rating: 2 Stars


When the Mayflower set sail in 1620, it carried on board the men and women who would shape America: Miles Standish; John Alden; Constance Hopkins. But some among the Pilgrims were not pure of heart; they were not escaping religious persecution. Indeed, they were not even human. They were vampires.The vampires assimilated quickly into the New World. Rising to levels of enormous power, wealth, and influence, they were the celebrated blue bloods of American society. 

The Blue Bloods vowed that their immortal status would remain a closely guarded secret. And they kept that secret for centuries. But now, in New York City, the secret is seeping out. Schuyler Van Alen is a sophomore at a prestigious private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes instead of the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates, and she lives with her reclusive grandmother in a dilapated mansion. Schuyler is a loner...and happy that way. Suddenly, when she turns fifteen, there is a visible mosaic of blue veins on her arm. She starts to crave raw food and she is having flashbacks to ancient times. Then a popular girl from her school is found dead... drained of all her blood. Schuyler doesn't know what to think, but she wants to find out the secrets the Blue Bloods are keeping. But is she herself in danger?

I've been wanting to read this series for a long time. I finally got the chance to and now I'm quite conflicted... There are some things that I really liked, and many flaws that really irritate me. Here are my thoughts on Blue Bloods.

The Concept:

Blue Bloods is a trio combination of Gossip Girl, angels, and vampires. The idea and premise of this series is original and great! Basically the angels who sided with Lucifer were cast down from heaven and now they are Blue Bloods, vampires, who live in 100 year long cycles, trying to achieve redemption. I like it! It's a cool concept :) Some parts of the concept are a bit hard to grasp. Cruz doesn't do a very good job of explaining things and constantly contradicts herself: "So in a way, we are all related, but we are not related at all" Yup that totally makes sense. 

The Setting: 


 

Helloooo Upper East Side !! Oh the opulence and wealth. Quite fun to read of, but wayyy too much time was spent describing the luxury and the name-brand clothing and furniture. Most of this book was spent describing everyone's designer-brand things, I'd have liked more of the story to be about, oh I don't know, the plot perhaps? 

The Writing:

Cruz's writing is fine. It's simple; she writes fluffy, light stories. I caught a grammar mistake or two in the writing. Cruz is great at describing, sometimes she goes overboard though. This book lacks humor and fun. I wish Cruz would incorporate that into her books (please, anything to liven up this series)!

The Slowness: 

This book was slow as molasses. I sped through it just to get it over with! It was all quite monotonous and boring. 

The Plot:

There is a plot! It just goes NOWHERE. There's so much that could be done with this series but the execution is so poor that it goes nowhere! It hurts my bookworm heart because this series could be so good if written the right way. But alas, we instead are forced to read 250 pages of nothingness and 50 pages of actual story and plot development and movement. The focus of this book is completely wrong. Stop focusing on the wealth of the Blue Bloods and the Upper East Side scene. Focus on the threats, the Silver Bloods! Have some character and plot development. Have meaningful scenes, not just randomly thrown-in ones. 

The Climax:

I felt that the climax was not climactic at all. It was weak. I was so unimpressed. The climax is supposed to be the most intense and exciting/thrilling part. The climax in this book was not any of that... 

The Trio:

This book was much more "Gossip Girl" than vampires and angels. The Blue Bloods is kind of its own race so I get it, but they are still technically vampires. We didn't see enough of the vampire elements come out in this book. All we saw was Upper East Side functions and luxuries and clubs and parties. 

The Characters: 


I don't like any of the characters. It's sad. Schuyler is okay. She's so dull though. Jack is mysterious and hot but besides that he doesn't have much going for him. I loathe Mimi, and her pride and vanity make me want to slap her. Bliss is a dolt. And she's way too obsessed with what people think of her. All of these characters get on my nerves. 

The Romance:

It goes from zero to sixty in 3.5. What. The. Heck. Jack and Schuyler hardly know each other and then they suddenly love each other? And I think a love triangle might be forming? And there's definitely some incest... 


If I see any incestuous things happening in this series I will chuck the book across the room and start purging. Bleh. Mimi and Jack?! Ew. And Mimi WANTS Jack? Ew. I don't care about the little technicalities and how it's like "hey we're kind of siblings kind of not. We just so happen to be called back to live in this cycle as twin siblings," don't even. That's called incest. Cruz, don't even try to make it better by confusing me even more with the bonding rituals that Blue Bloods have that they renew with that same partner during each cycle... Ew. Incest. No. Ew. 

The Potential:

This book has potential. It could be really good! The concept is unique and intriguing, perhaps the next books are better? I've heard this series gets better so I'll continue reading. 

The Cliches:

There are so many cliches that made me roll my eyes in this book:
- The plain protagonist is suddenly found out to be gorgeous
- The popular guy who's never given her two words suddenly is all interested in her
- Protagonist's mom is in a coma 
- Missing father
- Ordinary girl finds out she's not so ordinary
- BFF in love with protagonist, protagonist can't see it even though it's obvious 
- Unique protagonist first name that you've never heard of before
- Spoiled queen bee who does evil things (especially to the protagonist)

Overall:

Blue Bloods was a bad start to the series. I'm holding onto the hope that this series gets better. It's an interesting concept and a great plot idea. Now if only the execution could improve...

13 comments:

  1. I was way unimpressed with this book as well, when I read it as a teen. Good to know someone else agrees! Great review!
    ~Litha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview. I was actually going to get this book but now, I have my doubts. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! yeah in my opinion it's not worth buying.

      Delete
  3. I remember getting through at least book two of this series when I was a teen but honestly, I have no recollection of them at all except for the abundance of descriptions of brands and wealth, etc. and the overall slowness of the books. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy them. I don't even know where my copies went. =/ Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The books are so short too. You could easily combine two or three of the books into one book.

      Delete
  4. This doesn't sound so great :( I have the 6th and the 7th book in this series, and I've been attempting to locate the first. I think I might hold off on that, though. The plot seems boring and cliches can get frustrating. Thanks for the great, honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime ;) If it's any consolation, I hear that the last books are really good!

      Delete
  5. Hi! I've nominated you for a Liebster Award: http://myfullbookshelfreviews.blogspot.com/2014/05/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. I've heard good things about this book, but I've never really been interested, and you just confirmed my decision to stay away. Boredom is my number-one book deal breaker, so to me, "slow as molasses" translates roughly to "don't read this book!" And I don't even want to get started on weird character names that I've never seen before and can't pronounce. I'm glad so many people enjoyed this one, but it's too bad you're not one of them. Based on your review, I probably wouldn't be either. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wanted to like it, it just didn't happen ;( I always pronounce character names wrong XD

      Delete
  7. i like this book and looking forward to read the whole series...

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)