Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins (Sweet #3)


Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins 

Page Length: 464 Pages

Rating 3 Stars

"It’s time. 

Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.

The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for

her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.

In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom."



I'll be honest. I didn't have high hopes or expectations for this book. I still haven't formed an opinion on my overall view of a Wendy Higgins book. I like some aspects, I don't like others. 


The Writing:

Wendy Higgins' writing has greatly improved. Her sentences no longer always start with the monotonous "I." She was a bit more descriptive so I could vaguely imagine the surroundings (the describing could have been better, but was much better than that of her other books). It was organized and free of grammar errors. Yay! 

The Characters:

I am so so so happy with the character development I saw in this book. The protagonist has changed so so much. 

Anna - She's turned into such a strong, independent, fast-on-her-feet girl. She's not timid and doubtful and aloof anymore! She's fierce! I love how bold she's gotten and how she really came out in her leadership role. 

"'Stop!' I pinned him with a serious look. 'No more. Get it out of your head, Kai! We are not running. This is happening whether you like it or not. It's time to get your game face on and get ready to kick some ass."' -Anna

Kaiden - The embodiment of lust ;) Well he seems to be showing much more restraint in this book which is a good thing. I don't know, I just don't love him or like him as much as most people do... He's turned into a bit of a romantic ;)

The Crew - Ginger ~ Ok, no way can you have a 180 personality change in one book. No way. She went from witch brat to sweet snarky in 2 seconds. Nope. That doesn't happen. Blake ~ Funny as ever. I like him more than Kai and will miss him a lot :( Marna ~ Way too impulsive and silly and foolish for my liking. But she's sweet... Jay ~ I liked him much better in this book. Kope ~ He's an awkward stiff. I don't really like him....

I really liked the secondary characters of this book. The main duo I don't really like though. I can't relate to them. It seems as though Higgins is trying too hard to make them as different from the norm as possible and unrealistic.

The Plot:

I feel as though the plot of this book was just a wild goose chase. The demons were looking for Anna, and like a coward, Anna would run away. It was shots between that and Kai and Anna making out. Yup that was the plot people. Oh and in the last few chapters the Neph were revolting against the Dukes. <-- That should have been the main plot but it was hardly something that mattered until near the end. The plot didn't really build in this book. It was just choppy, going from one scene to the next for no rhyme or reason. The Crew kind of just hung out a lot... And we read of Kai and Anna exchanging cheesy romance lines. I feel as though this whole series was more about Anna & Kai than the winning their freedom. <-- That disappoints me. I would have liked a more balanced storyline, not 60% romance, 20% banter with The Crew, and 20% revolution-related stuff.

The Setting:

I like the traveling throughout this book. They went all over the place! The changes of scenery were nice. 

The Romance:

I will admit, the romance was adorable. There were some really memorable and aww-inducing scenes. 

Some lovely quotes:

"I kissed him one last time before rolling over and feeling his heat against my back as he reached around my waist and pulled me closer. As I drifted to sleep, from a state of semiconsciousness I heard him whisper, 'You're my dream. My only dream.'"

"He held his face an inch from mine. 'This is our home tonight. Anywhere with you is my home.'"

The Climax:

Things escalated way too quickly. This tension has been building throughout the whole series. I was ready for this epic showdown. It never came. For 85% of the book, nothing happened. And then *boom* everything happened at once. There was no rising action whatsoever. And the climax didn't last that long. I was expecting a huge epic fight and got 5 pages worth of lackluster fighting. Weak. 

The Epilogue:

It was adorable. Such a sweet way to end the series. The last sentence finished this book perfectly: "Because life could be so sweet."

I'd say Sweet Reckoning was a fitting end to the series that fans will surely love.

~Miss Perfection~

4 comments:

  1. Don't know why I keep postponing reading this series :/ hmm...
    Found you on Goodreads. New GFC follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks! I'll be sure to check out your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I found you on Goodreads and followed via GFC! My blog is https://sweetandsassyreviewz.blogspot.com if you'd like to check it out and maybe return the favor? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And of course I'll check out your blog ;)

      Delete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)