The One by Kiera Cass (The Selection #3)


The One by Kiera Cass

Page Length: 323 Pages

Rating: 5 Stars

"The Selection changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. And now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants."




All right. Enough is enough. I need to stop putting off writing this review. Maybe I feel that writing this review will truly mark the end of this series. And you know what? I don't want it to be over. This book gets a five star rating for so so many reasons. Ok so this book was not flawless. There were so many things that totally made up for it though: the plot, the romance, the characters, and the ending. Here are my thoughts on this book accompanied with gifs that embody my thoughts quite well. 


I've had some trouble with this series. It's just been a frustrating emotional roller coaster ride. And now it's come to a close. Looking back on the series, I am so proud of 
the improvements both in the critical and enjoyability aspects. 

The Writing:


Kiera Cass's writing has greatly improved. I can see leaps in terms of her improvement from book to book. So, well done ;) In her previous books, the dialogue that Cass created was a bit awkward and not fluid. Not many contractions were used. The speech just didn't flow. Now the conversations sound natural and more real. She used descriptive words and really painted the picture. There were no plot holes. The timing was great. I love her concept of this series and can't wait to read her next book! 

The Plot: 

In anticipation for the release of The One, I expressed many times over that I will not view this series in a happy light if this book centers solely around the romance and does nothing towards fixing the country. I can breathe easy now having read the book. Rest assured, America and Maxon do help out IllĂ©a.

The story flowed much better in this book than the others; our questions were answered. The One was fast-paced, action-packed, aww-inducing, and heart-wrenching. There was the perfect blend of everything. 

The Characters:

America - American Singer is the most infuriating protagonist ever. She's rash, stubborn, feisty, a rule-breaker, indecisive, annoying, daft, brave, and many more things... I am glad that her character and personality has greatly improved. In this book she's learned to hold her tongue and just deal with things. She doesn't whine and complain and cry and pout anymore. Nope. She's fierce. She's gonna suck it up and be a big girl! (about time). And she's learned to speak up for herself. She's not gonna cower and babble and wrack her brain for a comeback that never surfaces. Nope. She's gotten more assertive and direct. She's more sure of herself now. She knows what she wants, and she's going to fight for it. 

"'I can't believe you're going through with this' he shot back... I whipped my arm from his, hissing my words at him. 'You've been here almost as long as I have. In all that time, did you ever not deliver one of the sentences you were ordered to?' He considered. 'No, but-' 'Then don't judge me'... Aspen's eyes were pleading. 'Mer, I know it's scary, but you've-' I put up my hand. 'Do your job. Take me downstairs.'" -YAY she finally told Aspen to can it! 

"'Then tell me how did a girl of no means, no connections, and no power manage to get this country within the reach of something it's been trying to achieve for years?'... 'Maybe if you were simply more welcoming, you'd have had your alliance with Italy years ago.'" -YAY she stands up to the king :)

 

Maxon - Oh sweet Maxon <3 He learns to trust in this book. He learns to open up and actually share his thoughts and feelings. He becomes more confident. He's going to be a great leader. 

Maxamer - The one thing that made me so mad and angry was both Maxon's and America's refusals to just come out and admit their feelings for one another. I wanted to rip my hair out. They both were like "Why should I say it first? Why won't he say it? If he's not gonna say it, I'm not gonna say it." Come on. Are you freaking kidding me. I was literally shaking my iPad during these moments of character stupidity. 

I was thinking:


Why couldn't they just say:


"'I'm always interested in hearing how you feel.' Oh, no. Nope. I was not putting it out there first." -*glares at words*

"You are denying me your love. It's the only thing I've wanted in this entire competition, and you still hold back. I keep waiting for you to say it, and you won't. If you couldn't say it out loud in front of him, fine. But if you had simply agreed, that would have been good enough for me.'" -AMERICA, JUST FREAKING SAY "I LOVE YOU" *boom* The Selection is over. But nooooo, America needs to be classic stubborn America. *eye rolls*

or my favorite *sarcasm*

"Maybe Maxon did love me, but if he wasn't man enough to say it out loud..."-Well obviously you're too chicken to say it out loud so ditto Ms. Singer. 

And to both Maxon and America I just wanted to say:


The Elite - The Elite (Elise, Celeste, Kriss, and America) bonded in this book. Their scenes together in this book were great and so much fun. Elise isn't actually a robot. Celeste had a 180 personality change. I actually like her now! I will never like Kriss though :P 

The Romance:

Despite the trouble my OTP had with saying "I love you," the romance was still amazing. It was perfect. It was so adorable and sweet and steamy. I swooned and awwwwed so much in this book. I had a goofy grin on my face basically the whole book. I could gush and fangirl about it forever but I think these quotes sum it up quite nicely:

"I spent my life waiting for you, for all of you." 


"'I want you, America,' he murmured into my ear. 'I want you to be mine alone. And I want to give you everything.' His lips kissed their way across my cheek, stopping at the corner of my mouth. 'I want to give you things you didn't know you wanted.'"


"I'm going to love you more than any man has ever loved a woman, more than you ever dreamed you could be loved. I promise you that."


"I want everything with you, America. I want the holidays and the birthdays, the busy seasons and the lazy weekends. I want peanut butter fingerprints on my desk. I want inside jokes and fights and everything. I want a life with you."

The Rebels & Questions:

We learn so much more about the Northern rebels. The questions we've accumulated throughout this series are answered as well! And we've been complaining about not enough action, don't worry, this book's gotcha covered. 

To get you excited for The One: 

- You learn shocking & unexpected things
- Maxon and America have a huge blowout fight
- People die
-That's all I'm saying ;)

Chapter 30:



The Ending: 


It was a bit rushed. It seems as though Cass ran out of steam near the end and just tried ending it as quickly as possible. I'm happy with the ending, but wish she'd slowed it down a bit. 






The Epilogue:

PERFECTION. I would have liked a bit more though...


Overall:

I laughed. I cried. I awwed. I gasped. I swooned. I celebrated. 
I can't believe this series is over. A great ending to a great series. 




~Miss Perfection~

15 comments:

  1. Nice :D Love your blog so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm definitely reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored this book so much! I love how America finally gave it to Aspen bluntly that she is going for Maxox. I was so frustrated with the whole thing of them saying it first. I was like banging my head against the wall. JUST SAY IT! It's so easy. I totally agree with the ending...she brushed over the deaths so quickly and it didn't leave as much of an impact as it could have. Great review, I agree with every point you make.

    P.s. love the gif at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved how she just straight-up told Aspen that was picking Maxon too! How about when she told off Kota? I adore this book too<3 I kept rereading parts after I finished it the first time. Thank you! I love your review as well :)

      Delete
  4. I like your review. America was super frustrating again in this book. GOD GIRL JUST SAY I LOVE YOU AND LET ASPEN TELL YOU WHAT HE WANTS. Because it was so clear he had another girl and AAAAH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know right? Aspen tried to tell her FIVE TIMES. God America, not everything is about you ;)

      Delete
  5. That is a great review. I absolutely love the selection series and am glad that your reaction is the same as mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to this and not at the same time. I liked both one and two, but I never really fell in love with Aspen or Maxon. The way Maxon uses dear all the time really got on my nerves so much. But, hopefully he can win me over in this. We shall see, thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! "The One" is predictable and enjoyable so if you're looking for a quick light read, this is the book for you.

      Delete
  7. I just finished reading this book and oh my goodness, reading your review was so great! I felt the same about a lot of things, like when neither of them would say "I love you" I was also just like, come on you guys, really?! Just say it already! LOL But also I agree with you that it would have been so cool if Cass would have just slowed down the ending. So many things happened at once, and they were all so important that I thought they deserved a bit more attention than was given. But ya, awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad another reader agreed with my thoughts :)

      Delete
  8. Wow I do not how I survived so long without you! Squeee , loved the book and the review , oh and would you mind telling me what tv show the "you have got to be kidding me" gif is from? Thank You! :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)