White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L Armentrout (The Dark Elements #1)



White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L Armentrout

Page Length: 396 Pages

Rating: 3 Stars

"One kiss could be the last"

Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses.

Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on

since forever.

Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul.

But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne…it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world."


Let me start off by saying that I really love Jennifer L Armentrout and her books. I was blown away by Obsidian. I adore the Covenant series. White Hot Kiss being the third series of JLA that I've read, I'm starting to see patterns. Below I'll break down my thoughts on White Hot Kiss. I liked some things in this book, I didn't like others.

The Writing:

JLA is an amazing writer. She writes so well and descriptively. Her writing skills were wonderfully exhibited in this book. Sometimes though JLA's writing is a bit too simple for my taste. It's never plain really, but the writing just didn't jump out of the page as it usually does in her books. The writing was a bit more neutral and not exactly toneless, but not toned enough...
The Plot:

I kept thinking Where the heck is this book going?Where's the plot?! NOTHING is happening. 

I think the plot started at page one and went a little like this until the end:


The Characters:

Layla - Layla is basically the perfect person. And you know what?! Perfection doesn't exist. I'm not Miss Perfection because I'm perfect (because trust me, I'm not) it's because I strive for perfection. Everyone has flaws. That's what makes us human. NO ONE IS PERFECT. Except Layla though it seems. And everyone keeps saying she's so darn special. She's the perfect good girl. She's obedient and docile and pure and sweet and beautiful. Her character is so unrealistic. I couldn't really connect with Layla at all. She wasn't the worst protagonist ever, but she was not my favorite. I'm not really invested in this girl's well being...

Zayne - This guy is so obtuse sometimes. He fails to see things from others' point of view. I do like him, but he needs to start thinking about other people and the effect his actions have on others. Zayne is okay, but I don't really care what happens to him either... These characters just aren't very lovable... This guy is wayyy too perfect. Stop it. 

Roth -


Whoa. Step aside Daemon Black, Roth is in town! I really liked Roth. He was cocky and hot and hilarious yet he also had a sweet side. SCORE! AND He isn't perfect. He's got his flaws like normal people. Good job with this one, JLA ;)



Love Triangle: 


Are you freaking kidding me?! Another love triangle?! Well then again I'm not really surprised. This book doesn't really have much else going on... CHOOSE ROTH. This love triangle is so weak, but I know that Layla will find a way to make it difficult.


Gargoyles Aspect:

Yeah I'm not really a fan of gargoyles. There's a stigma surrounding gargoyles, and it's hard to shake. I'm not completely disgusted by them anymore, but still... And I totally don't understand how the Wardens come out to society stating what they are and besides a few protests, no one really cares. <-- That is so unrealistic.

The Patterns:

I've noticed that the main characters that JLA writes (Alex, Layla, and Katy) all have the same humor and behavioral quirks. They are all really sarcastic and feisty too.. I get it, it's the same author with the same sense of humor, but seriously? I don't want to read of three VERY SIMILAR characters who all happen to use the saying "crap on a cracker." The guys that JLA writers are all stunningly gorgeous adonises. They aren't just cute or hot, they are freaking sexy gods. Lux, Covenant, and The Dark Elements all have the same feel to it. They are all variations of paranormal with the same forbidden romance and some small worldly problem where the romance is more important and the dominant in the duo.

The Ending: 

I did not see that coming... Yikes.

Overall:

I really did like the book. It was interesting and entertaining. The romance was cute. I just didn't like this book as much as I'd hoped. It was very flawed but if you're looking for a quick exciting read, White Hot Kiss is the book for you.

Share your thoughts on this book!
~Miss Perfection~

7 comments:

  1. Awesome review! Even though I haven't read White Hot Kiss, I do agree with you on most things. However, I personally find the gargoyles aspect interesting cause it hasn't been done in many novels, despite I don't like them and that they do kind of creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I do find gargoyles interesting, just a bit repulsive as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! The gifs are so funny! Especially the part with the love triangle. I'm pretty sure most of us hate those. Yuck! Bleh. All love triangles MUST be stopped!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the book! :) And thank you for welcoming me back on my blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of JLA unfortunately, but glad that you still liked this book despite some not-so-likeable characters. Your gifs are really cute haha! Nice review and thanks for stopping by :) Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love your blog so I'll be stopping by from time to time to see your new posts ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm very glad to hear that there's at least one characters with flaws. I'm not a big fan of characters without flaws. Like you said, perfect is unrealistic. I haven't read a book with gargoyles, so I'm not sure if I'll like them or not . . . I don't pay a lot of attention to them in general, so I'd probably be okay with them. I'm not surprised that you mentioned patterns. JLA is an awesome writer, but those patterns do exist in her books. Patterns don't bother me that much as I'm reading, though. I'm glad you found this book to be entertaining. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! JLA is awesome, but I wish she would diverge a bit... She has different concepts (Luxen, Wardens, Hematoi) but she leads them all back to the same plotline :/

      Delete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)