City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #6)

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

Page Length: 725 Pages

Rating: 5 Stars


In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!


Let me start with a reiteration. I have been waiting for this book for nearly TWO years. I theorized like crazy, I added to the hype, I expected so much out of the finale of my favorite series. I am so happy to say that I was not disappointed, and City of Heavenly is my favorite book in the series.

With a heavy heart, I write this review. TMI is the series that rekindled my love of reading. I was so invested in this series, and I'm so sad that it's come to a close. But darn, Cassie ended it well. Warning: This book will make you so emotionally unstable. You'll go from angry to remorseful, happy to sad, laughing to crying, and so on. This book was everything I hoped for and more. 



Me While Reading This Book: 



I was in my own little blissful world. :)

The Writing:











Cassie Clare never ceases to amaze me with her skilled writing. I had no idea how she was going to tie up her all the loose ends and create a satisfying end. Somehow she did it, and better yet, she did it well. I love the deep complex characters, the twisting plots, the humor, the action, the deception, the drama, the wit, and crazy parallels and connections to TID. Her writing is consistent and lovely. The third person POV with switches between characters works really well, and she's really descriptive. I can always picture in my head what's going on in the story. I had no idea what was going to happen in this book. Clare kept me guessing until the end. Everything was just so beautifully written and wonderfully done. She's a writing god!! 

The Plot:











I love how this book wasted no time. Cassie Clare just went right into it! End of Chapter 1 *BAM* they're going to Idris!! Thank god. I thought I was going to have to wait ten chapter for them to return to the homeland. This book was packed full with awesome elements. There was the perfect blend of action, drama, romance, humor, mystery, adventure, and betrayal.There was a great balance between grave, sad moments and light happy moments. This book is a whooping 725 pages yet somehow this book doesn't seem too slow or fast-paced. Everything was timed out well. Every scene was there for a reason, there weren't any dragging and boring moments. I liked how she wrote it so that not everyone got away unscathed by the end. It wasn't a total HEA but still happy! 

The Characters:










I am going to miss all of these characters so so much. These characters have come so far. I'm so proud of them and all they've accomplished and overcome in this series. I love these characters so much, and I can't let them go! 

-Clary Fray - I am so proud of Clary because she didn't get on my nerves AT ALL in this book!! She showed more maturity and an actual thought process. She didn't just jump into things, she thought things through (a bit). She showed more leadership and really helped anchor the group. I felt that in this book she was more of an asset than a burden. So kudos to you Clary!

-Jace Whohasfourlastnames - He opens up more, he doesn't isolate himself. He doesn't have a self loathing attitude anymore. He seems stronger and calmer as a character. He actually shares his feelings and I just fell in love with him even more in this book. He finally admits that not everything is about him! <-- Progress

-Simon Lewis - I truly respect Simon. At first I thought he was just really annoying, but throughout this series he has turned into a brave and fearless person who's not afraid to share his feelings or stand up for what's right. He'd totally be Dauntless in Divergent. I am so proud of Simon, oh god that scene where.... 

-Isabelle Lightwood - I've always loved Izzy. She doesn't seem to have changed much in terms of character (in my opinion). She is a bit nicer and shares her thoughts and feelings more. 

-Alec Lightwood - His character has improved so much in this series! He's more assertive and less pathetic. He really takes a new leadership role in this book. I'm glad his ending was a happy one. 

-Sebastian Morgenstern
I don't know why, but I love Sebastian. He's got that cliché "tall, dark, and handsome" that just draws me in. He's got a complex character which I always love to read. I HATE paperthin characters. We knew his downfall was coming, but who knew it would be so heartwrenching? And he had green eyes. And seeing Jocelyn's reaction. And seeing everything happen there, in that scene. I lost it.


The Romance: 













The romance in this book was so adorable. Clace was perfect Clace. They trust, they confide in, they love. They've finally worked out their relationship problems. Sizzy DTRed!! Yay! I love Sizzy but it annoyed me how they never really talked about their feelings. They keep putting it off or just don't talk about it. Malec was amazing. I've never been really crazy about them, but I totally shipped them in this book. They saw their own flaws and fixed them. They came to terms with things and decided to just be happy and be together! 

Favorite Quotes:













There are so many great quotes in this book. Here are just a few:

"Because the world isn't divided into the special and the ordinary. Everyone has the potential to be extra ordinary."

"Shadow hunters are the Angel's weapons. Temper us in fire, and we grow stronger. When we suffer, we survive."

"When our hearts break, they break into shards that cannot be easily fit back together. I envy mundanes their resilience sometimes." 

"I think sometimes we are reckless with our hearts the way we are with our lives. When we give them away, we give every piece."

"Heroes aren't always the ones who win," she said. "They're the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don't give up. That's what makes them heroes."

"Better to love and fear than feel nothing at all."

My Theories:

Some of what I theorized was right!! *pats self on back*









The Rants/Inquiries/Thoughts:









-How did Jace have a condom already? I mean seriously, they just did a quick grab-and-go before going to Edom. Where the heck did he get that and how/why did he bring it? God could they not wait?! XD 

-I HATE MAIA. What a jerk. And a backstabber. 

The Deaths:

The deaths aren't anywhere near as bad as people claimed them to be. Don't worry you'll survive. You might shed some tears as I did, but trust me, it will all be okay. 


<--- Karma for some of those deaths








The Humor:

There were so many hilarious moments in this book. Here are a few: 


"I see that even as the world plunges into darkness and peril, you two stand around discussing your love lives. Teenagers."

"'I was figuring I could sulk for Idris in the next Olympics,' Jace said, but his voice was already softening, the edge of hard self-loathing filed away, wryness and amusement taking its place. 'You and Alec could go for pair sulking,' said Clary with a smile. 'You'd get the gold.'" 

"Maureen put him in leather pants and a puffy shirt because he was being her romance-novel slave."

"'The guard are there to protect us, not keep us in. Have some perspective.' 'Alec, you've known me for seven years,' said Jace. 'When have I ever had perspective?'"

'''Brother Zachariah,' Isabelle said. 'Months January through December of the Hot Silent Brothers Calendar. What’s he doing here?' 'There’s a Hot Silent Brothers Calendar?' said Alec. 'Do they sell it?'" 

"'You're pining,' said Jace.
Alec shrugged. 'Look who's talking. "oh I love her. Oh, she's my sister. Oh why, why, why—"'"

"Last time you were starving, I gave you my blood. It was a little homoerotic, maybe, but I'm secure in my sexuality."

The Climax: 

<--- It was basically this. 









The Denouement: 


<--- Ouch, who knew that falling action could be so traumatizing and hurt so much? 






Jem & Tessa:

"The boy's mouth curved a little at the corner. 'There is one. She has always been home for me.'" -Awwwwwwww 











Ahh I loved reading the parts with Jem and Tessa. Ugh I kept tearing up when I read so many of those TID references. JESSAMINE. Oh god. And there were Will references all over the place. ;( I love how Cassie added Jem and Tessa to the book. Tessa and Jem truly deserve each other. They are such good people and gosh, after everything they've been through they so deserve to be happy. I hope we see a wedding for them sometime in the future. I hope that Tessa tells Jace of their relation and Jem does likewise with Emma. So then they're both not totally alone. AND It's hinted that Jem and Tessa might be in TDA. And they got Church back! :D 

The Blackthorns & TDA: 

I am so happy that we got to meet the main cast of The Dark Artifices. I love the Blackthorns family already! In TMI there was the focus surrounding The Crew (Sizzy, Clace, and Alec) but that was about it. It's going to be fun to read of more people in the main cast all together. All of the characters so far seem so realistic and relatable and adorable and sweet and complex! Emma Carstairs is so awesome! She's like a smaller female version of Jace XD And Julian is so adorable and fiercely protective. With the glittering setting of Los Angeles and chock full of great characters, I am SO EXCITED for Lady Midnight, out Fall 2015. 

The Fae:






Just as Magnus said, I think it was unwise to punish the Fae so harshly. It's kind of like Germany in WWI, don't beat a dead horse. The consequences can be severe. I think the Fae are going to revolt or become a problem in TDA or TWP.

From City of Bones ---> City of Heavenly Fire

It's been a long bumpy journey, but I am so elated to have seen these characters grow and make mistakes and fix them and develop into great individuals. They've come so far. And now as our journey with them ends, their lives just seem to truly begin. I find that quite fitting actually. 

The Ending:

The ending was truly bittersweet. Not everything in the Shadow World turned out perfectly. There are scars and many mistakes made that might turn into problems later. It was truly "the saddest happy ending." Not everyone came out unscathed. I liked that Cassie Clare didn't make the all-around perfect HEA. In terms of what happened for these characters, I think besides the little hurtful prick/twist they pretty much got their HEAs. 



<--- I laughed at a joke somewhere in the epilogue and then realized that the book was almost over. It went a little like that. 




After Finishing The Book:



<--- I just felt numb at first.









<--- I was about to reach this stage. And then my sister came into the room and plopped down on my bed. I was about to lose it but I held it in because I knew I'd never hear the end of it from her if I brokedown crying. She still talks about my champion CP2 waterworks. So I didn't get to experience the crying session after finishing the series. I feel a bit robbed. I know one day it's just going to hit me, and I'm going to cry for an hour or two. 

It's hard to say goodbye to this series. I love how CoHF ends brightly and optimistically. Cassie Clare lets the reader imagine what the future holds for these characters. In that way, these characters will always still be with us, their story still lives on. I know that I will carry this lovely story in my heart for the rest of my life and although TMI is over, we'll always remember. This series has been a wonderful journey that I will never forget. I find it only fitting that I end my review with a quote from Cassie:

"We are the pieces of what we remember. We hold in ourselves the hopes and fears of those who love us. As long as there is love and memory, there is no true loss." -Cassandra Clare





25 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm sooo sad for this series to be over D: I haven't been with it as long as most people, but I'm glad to have been apart of this awesome journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so sad it's over too ;( It was an awesome journey ;) I'm really excited for TDA!!

      Delete
  2. Awesome review Rachel! The gifs at the end describe how I was at the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaze!! :D I still haven't had my crying moment yet. It's going to hit me when I least expect it. I'm still kind of numb and right after I finished CoHF I got super busy so I haven't had time to ponder and sulk XD

      Delete
    2. I already went through that stage and it affected me hard last week since I didn't read a whole lot and I don't think I'll be going on that contemporary kick I wanted to go into after this book. I was really busy to be honest, but I was still didn't read a whole lot. In fact, the sixth to the tenth, I only read like one paragraph from one of the books I was reading.

      Delete
    3. Same! I haven't read a book since May 30th... (The day I finished CoHF). I started Art of Lainey the same day, but I've been swamped with school work so that's on hold. I'm going to binge-read some contemporary and then catapult back into good ol' Paranormal YA. ;) Oh how I miss reading *sigh*

      Delete
  3. Great review I completely agree, I love Clare's works and she did am incredible job on this one warping it up but not to tight. Have us some twists and heartache but not overdoing it ( Veronica Roth and I are not seeing eye to eye after the thing with tris). But seriously the condom I thought the same thing and them I just started to giggle because it was all so mundane. Really excited to read about Emma and Jules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Same, I am not much of a fan of Roth anymore. I was a bit sad with the ending, but overall the series just went downhill in my opinion. :/ Yeah when I read of the condom I was thinking "What the heck Jace?! Where has YOUR mind been?!" So excited about Emma and Jules too :) Although things are going to get tricky since they're parabatai...

      Delete
  4. Awesome review! I stopped by to tell you I nominated you for a Liebster Award. Here's the link to what it is all about: http://avidbookcollector.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your review!
    And the gifs you chose were so accurate sometimes I was just laughing alone in my room like an idiot.

    About Jem and Tessa's wedding, you didn't have the comic strip ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lol, I'm glad I made you laugh :)

      No I just googled the comic strip though! That was SO adorable <3 Apparently it was only published in Australian CoHF copies.

      Delete
  6. Awesome review! This book was so freaking incredible. The writing was gorgeous as always. I cried more than once. Everything worked out mostly in the end and my heart was so happy. All the Infernal Devices stuff made it a thousand times better. JESSA FEELS. And I absolutely loved Emma and the Blackthorns. I can't wait to read more about them.

    Also nice gifs haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JESSA FEELS <3 The Blackthorns are so cool. Emma's awesome! Why thank you ;)

      Delete
  7. Hiya! I've nominated you for the Liebster award! The details of the award will be included in my post on Sunday here: The Pop Cultist

    Hope you'll decide to participate and accept! :)

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I nominated you for the Liebster Award here- http://ya411.blogspot.com/2014/06/liebstaer-award-again-d.html Congrats and keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurrah for Clary maturing here! I was kinda annoyed by her in the previous books because she rarely helped and often ended up adding the workload of the group.
    And glad to hear that this book ended great! I can't wait to get my hand on this one and see how Cassie linked TMI with TID :D
    You really made me dying to read this one!

    Neysa @ Papier Revue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many connections and parallels between TID and TMI, especially in CoHF. Yeah Clary didn't get on my nerves too much in this book! So yay!! :) I loved the ending, it was bittersweet and promising at the same time. Enjoy reading ;)

      Delete
  10. I've never been a huge Cassie Clare fan, but I wanted to see how it all ended. For the most part, I had a couple issues, but I generally liked it. I knew this was going to be my last CC book, so I just wanted to enjoy for the things that I actually enjoyed about it. I honestly really liked it until the epilogue. I just reconciled myself that this will always happen (I didn't like the epilogue of TID either). But I'm most happy with the resolution of the characters. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I liked the epilogue but it was a bit too perfect. I don't like what happened to Simon in the end. It took away all the epicness of what Clare did a couple chapters before, she totally wiped away the whole severity of the situation...

      Delete
  11. Ha! I laughed out loud at your review which was awesome by the way. I too loved this series and hate to see it end. On a good note tho, I'm a new follower and look forward to more of your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked this review! I have not finished the series yet, but I loved how you wrote about how the characters changed throughout the series :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)