Of Poseidon by Anna Banks (The Syrena Legacy #1)



Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Page Length: 324 Pages

Rating: 3 Stars

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally,ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...

I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I'm not crazy about books about mermaids, and I'll admit, I judged this book by the cover and synopsis like I did with Cinder. I'm glad I gave this book a chance though because I ended up enjoying it! There were some flaws though...

The Concept:

I was a bit hesitant to read this book because whenever I think of mermaids, wait, I don't think of mermaids! That's just it. It seems like such a childish idea/fantasy, it's something I haven't though about since the days of watching The Little Mermaid. I didn't think I'd like this book because it focuses on mermaids, but I did end up liking it! The mer-people in this book are called Syrena. There's forbidden romance, mystery, snark, and more! And that's all I'm saying. Go read ;) 

The Writing:

I was a bit confused and put-off by the dual POV because Emma's side is told in first person while Galen's is told in third person. Either have them both in first person or both in third person. It made Galen seem so impersonal, and it was harder to connect with him than Emma. It was easier to deduce more of the story from Galen's POV though. The writing was simple and plain and good. There were some really hilarious and witty moments so I commend Banks for that. I love the fishy details Banks incorporated into the book. For example, the insults like "minnow" and "stonefish," just these little details that strengthen the setting and character background was great. I wish that Banks explored more of the Syrena world, but I guess this book was more about Emma discovering her gift. Next book perhaps? 














The Plot: 

To me it seemed that the plot was dragging in parts. Sometimes I felt that this book focused too much on the romance and less on developing characters and an actual plot/storyline. What small plot I could deduce was a bit predictable but still enjoyable. Overall though a plot did eventually form. It was fascinating learning about the Syrena race and their story. 

The Characters:

Emma - This girl had a 180 personality change within the first 20 pages. She went from sweet and innocent to feisty and stubborn. I find that HIGHLY unrealistic. But besides that, I do like Emma. She gets a bit on my nerves sometimes, but overall I like the girl. She's not weak like some other protagonists. *cough* NORA GREY *cough* She's strong and although she gets all weak in the knees near Galen, she knows how to snap out of it and call him out when he's being too controlling. One thing that bothered me though** WHY DOES SHE SAY "Ohmysweetgoodness?" No. Just no. 

Galen - Whoa this guy is hot. That was my first thought. I really like Galen. He's protective and thoughtful and smart. He's clear-headed and sweet. He's not afraid to say what he feels. I HATE how sometimes his overprotectiveness turns him into a domineering person. Chill out, dude. 

Toraf - This guy is awesome! Galen's best friend made me laugh so much. 

Rayna - She's so feisty. I love Galen's sister! 

Ms. McIntosh - Geez she has got to be the most peculiar mother ever. 

The Romance:













The romance in this book was really cute, but I felt that it happened way too quickly. Emma and Galen are an adorable couple, and I think they complement each other well. It's a bit hypocritical of me, but gosh it took forever for them to kiss!! All that sexual tension. I was like "Just kiss already!!"

The Ending: 

Things got crazy near the end!! It all happened so fast. The ending isn't exactly a cliffhanger, but it's really good. 

This book is light and fun, so if you're looking for a book to get you out of a reading slump, this is the book for you.




10 comments:

  1. Haha how could you say that that ending wasn't a cliffhanger? I thought it was. I mean, it did hold my interest until the next book. Great review though! I can't wait to see what your thoughts are on the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was cliffhanger-ish but nothing compared to other cliffhangers like City of Fallen Angels! It's hard to tell what qualifies as a cliffhanger anymore ;) I really like Of Triton so far!

      Delete
  2. I as well am somewhat wary of mermaid books, but I'm trying to broaden my horizons a bit. I've heard some good things about the Syrena trilogy and so I think I'll probably try it! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one, though there were a lot of bad points. I HATED the switch from 1st person to 3rd person narrative. It didn't work at all! And the romance developed way too quickly in this book, and it pretty much overshadowed everything else. But I did like the idea of the Syrena. I'm just not sure I want to read the sequel.

    Holly @ Part of that World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sequel is better! Yeah the 1st to 3rd POV switch was a fail...

      Delete
  4. I gave this one 5 stars when I read it last year, but I'm pretty sure if I reread it, it would be around 2 stars. I didn't like the second or the third book as I felt Gallen was to possessive for my liking :( I definitely prefer bad ass faeries and frabjous witches to fishy mermaids ;)

    Love your blog!!! New follower!! (Your 125th to be exact ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the second book best, but I found the third book heavily lacking...

      Aw thanks!! :) Yessssss, bad ass faeries XD

      Delete
  5. No no no...

    I just purchased the book from online but after reading your review, I'm having mixed feelings. I'm probably just going to read it for the fun of it. But I won't enjoy it.... Anyways, nice review :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz
    http://thebooksbuzz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a good book, there were just too many flaws for my liking. You might enjoy it!

      Delete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)