Review ~ The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

Series: The Remnants #1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Page Length: 489 Pages
Publication Date: July 8th, 2014
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co.
Source: Purchased
Goodreads

In this timeless new trilogy about love and sacrifice, a princess must find her place in a reborn world.

In a society steeped in tradition, Princess Lia’s life follows a preordained course. As First Daughter, she is expected to have the revered gift of sight—but she doesn’t—and she knows her parents are perpetrating a sham when they arrange her marriage to secure an alliance with a neighboring kingdom—to a prince she has never met.

On the morning of her wedding, Lia flees to a distant village. She settles into a new life, hopeful when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deception abounds, and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—even as she finds herself falling in love.

After hearing all the buzz and praise for this book through the blogosphere, I was anxious to read The Kiss of Deception. I was wildly impressed and can easily say this is one of the best books of 2014. 
The synopsis of this book is so enticing. I knew from the beginning that I was going to love this book. YA Fantasy is my current favorite genre after all. I was so surprised by this book, and I'm glad to add it to my favorites shelf. I can gush on and on about how amazing this book is, but what makes this book so great?

The world-building was fantastic. I could picture everything so clearly in my mind. We learned the brief history of the land, we could visualize it all. There are setting changes in this book as there's a bit of traveling. Pearson does an amazing job of describing it all. The town seems so idyllic and rustic, the forest creepy and dangerous, the desert hopeless and barren.

The execution of this book was nearly flawless. The pacing was great. Nothing was too fast or too slow. The writing was phenomenal. Pearson was so descriptive, and I love the way she writes. Her writing is so beautiful, I just love the way she tells a story. There were so many plot twists in this book. I love when the author keeps you guessing until the end and shocks you left and right. I especially enjoyed how Pearson hide the identity of the assassin and the prince. As we see part of the story from Lia's view, we had to guess who was who! We saw the two guys, we just had to guess which was the prince and which was the assassin. <-- Quite creative and lots of fun! The diversity of this book also makes it great. The plot was so involved yet simple at the same time. Pearson manages to weave in various aspects and elements to make the story more well-rounded without diverting from the original storyline. I loved the 3rd person switching of points of view. This helped round out the story more and bring the whole story together as just having one point of view couldn't accomplish.

The characters were great! They were realistic and admirable. I really like the main character, Lia. She's stubborn, strong, smart, and compassionate. I love her tenacity and loyalty. All of the supporting characters are great as well! 

The romance was perfect. I'm pretty sure it's not a love triangle, thank gosh. I could NOT handle another one of those in a series. The romance is so sweet and adorable. They had that connection in the beginning, but it was great to see the romance actually grow and develop. 

The ending of this book was phenomenal. It left you wanting more and wondering what would happen next. I am SO excited for the next book! 

Overall
Go read it!! Best fantasy read of the year so far :) 

What were your thoughts on the book? Do you like high fantasy? 


25 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read this, and now I'm pretty much convinced. This seems like my kind of book! Lovely review. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! After such a great review how can I NOT read this book? It's already on my TBR list, so I'll have to get to it sooner rather than later! Thanks for sharing :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to read this one! I love how the first sentence of each of your paragraphs already say how much you enjoyed the book! Lovely review :)

    Eileen @ BookCatPin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you're right XD I was quite enthusiastic when I wrote this review ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Realistic characters YA fantasy books is quite hard to find...so I'm glad to hear that! Also, you got me so intrigued and especially on the writing; want to see its prettiness! Lovely review, lovely Rachel. ^^

    PS. YA fantasy is my favorite genre as well!

    Lola @ Hit or Miss Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! I was so nervous that this would disappoint that I haven't even got to my ARC yet! I am so happy that you ended up loving it so much. After I have finished Heir of Fire I will be getting straight to this one. Thanks for the great and honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's great, you'll love it :) It reminds me of Throne of Glass a bit.

      Delete
  6. xD Based on your not-so-subtle praises and recommendation, expect to hear thoughts of this book very soon, mah dear Rach *pats head*
    —C

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you ended up absolutely loving this book Rachel! I think this is the general concencus I've heard of this one so far! I will probably wait till the next book comes out but your review is definitely making me re-think that idea! Lovely review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, the end leaves you wanting more! Thanks Amir ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh, YAY! I've wanted to read this for a while and now I NEED to! It seems like everyone is loving it, so that makes me even more excited to start it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ou, Rachel, you've got me wanting to read this as soon as I get it! I've actually requested to get it from the library, so hopefully it comes in soon! I loved Mary's Jenna Fox Chronicles series, and I'm sure that this won't be a downer! I trust your opinion. :D Thanks for the beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you!! It won't be a downer, you'll be in a state of bliss :) Enjoy, and I can't wait to read your review!

      Delete
  10. Best fantasy of the year so far?! OH FINE THEN. *adds another book to nearly-toppling TBR* I wanted to try this anyway. Hehe. It's just so many reviews have been wildly opposite, like mega-love or hate. What's a person to think?! XD Still, I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! I got Cait to add this to her TBR shelf!! Success :)

      Delete
  11. Ahhh, I've been hearing nothing but good things from this! I loved her The Adoration of Jenna Fox,, one of my favourites, though I haven't finished the series yet. Love that she keeps you guessing who's the prince and that though, I'll have fun with that. :) Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about the Adoration of Jenna Fox! Thanks for stoping by :)

      Delete
  12. I'm reading this one right now so I had to check out your review :P Completely agree about the descriptions, everything is really well written. I just got to the twist part about the character's identities and I was definitely confused, I found it to be a bit frustrating. Hopefully the rest will be good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read this when I can!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is high on my wishlist - it sounds SO good and the cover is utterly gorgeous! I love it when books are very descriptive and have beautiful writing. Great review, Rachel! :) x

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)