ARC Review: Heir of Fire

Author: Sarah J Maas
Series: Throne of Glass #3
Genre: YA Fantasy
Page Length: 565 Pages
Publication Date: September 2nd, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens USA
Source: Physical ARC via Bloomsbury 
Goodreads

Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy. 

 While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?

**This review contains spoilers from previous Throne of Glass books 

As I'm sure you all know by now, I am obsessed with the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. I was ecstatic when Bloomsbury sent me an ARC! Picking up not long after the heart-wrenching end of Crown of Midnight, Sarah J Maas dazzles and entrances readers once more with a phenomenal third book filled with magic, character growth, sacrifice, rebellion and more.
“I wish you to become who you ­were born to be. To become queen.” 

Heir of Fire has most definitely made my list of best books of 2014. This book is quite different from the others in the series. I liked it a bit less than the other two, but it was so different it's hard to compare them. The other books center around romance and action while this book deals with the deeper stuff: betrayal, confidence, mourning, rebellion, heritage, loyalty... 

This book is huge. It was a bit cumbersome to hold, but the content was great! The beginning was a bit slow but eventually picked up. Everything written was absolutely necessary to carry the story though, so I didn't mind. The attention to detail was amazing. Everything was there for a reason, there were connections to the other books all over the place! It brought back all the feels from The Assassin's Blade & Crown of Midnight. Sarah J Maas is so meticulous about her writing and is truly in a league of her own. The tone of the book was much darker too. Maas has set this series on a much darker (and awesome) road than most YA series (even fantasy novels) tend to go, and I applaud her for it. 

The high fantasy aspect of this book was amped up. There was magic and wyverns and fae! I loved it all. This series reminds me of a YA version of Game of Thrones a bit... Less sex and deaths though. The world-building was fantastic. Everything was so clearly described. I could see it all playing out in my mind. 

The character development in this series is fantastic. Each of our characters has his/her own obstacles that must be overcome; they all have their own journeys.  


“Because I am lost," she whispered onto the earth. "And I do not know the way.”

We see a totally different side of Celaena in Heir of Fire. We're used to the cocky, confident, invincible assassin. In this book we see the vulnerable, defeated, self-loathing side of her. In the end though she comes out more fierce and determined than before, a magic-wielding queen ready to take back what's rightfully hers. 


“As for Celaena," he said again, "you do not have the right to wish she were not what she is. The only thing you have a right to do is decide whether you are her enemy or her friend.” 

Chaol struggles to decide where his loyalties lie and how he feels about Celaena and the discoveries he made in Crown of Midnight. I'll admit, Chaol annoyed me so much in this book. He redeems himself in the end though. Dorian struggles to conceal his magic and stand up to his father. Both characters come so far in this book. They sacrifice so much and in the end they make the tough decisions where this is no turning back. 

There are quite a few new characters introduced in this book: Rowan, the fae prince and warrior who teaches Celaena how to control her magic. Aedion, the fierce general and Celaena's cousin. Manon, ferocious heir to the Blackbeak witch coven. All of the characters in this book are so complex and well developed. The secondary characters are just as descriptive as well. I ALMOST ship Rowan and Celaena, but I think they're more of a team. He's so fiercely devoted and smart and honest and awesome!! Aedion is so loyal and amazing. Manon is okay, she's a bit too blood-thirsty... 


With new characters come more points of view. Overall I liked the various perspectives because the plot needed all sides of the story to make sense. Sometimes though I felt that some scenes were quite unnecessary and long and dragging. 

We learn so many things about Erilea and what happened to Celaena ten years ago. It's all quite mind-blowing and a bit overwhelming. We also learn more about the King's nefarious actions. We see connections all over the place from the various books! Maas has been spreading the crumbs throughout the series until BAM you read Heir of Fire, and it all comes together!! The wyrdstones. The tower. The rings. The disappearances. The crumbled note. The rebels. Baba Yellowlegs. Everything happens for a reason and contributes to the story in some way. 


“The people you love are just weapons that will be used against you.” 

Romance was not a big part of this novel. There are some heartache moments for our dearest Chaolaena and a bit of romance, but there are much more important things brewing in Erilea and Wendlyn. This series is past the silly romance, it's moved on to the important stuff like defeating a diabolical king, bringing back magic, freeing the enslaved, and so on. 

As I said before, this book starts off a bit slow. Stick with it though, if you liked the other books you'll love this one as well. The ending is horrific yet amazing at the same time. The rebellion is forming, and we readers are kept wanting more. 


“He would see that world reborn, even if it took his last breath. Even if he had no name now, no position or title save Oath-Breaker, Traitor, Liar.” 

Heir of Fire is yet another amazing installment of the Throne of Glass series. WHERE IS BOOK #4????


“She was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one.” 
What were your thoughts on this book? Do you like high fantasy? 
Are you excited to read this?? 


42 comments:

  1. *HYPERVENTILATES* YESS YESSS YESSS THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!! :DDD
    I love it when stories connect all the pieces into one bowl of awesomesaucee!! *squeals*
    OMG THAT LAST QUOTE!!!! *DIES*
    Holy alien babies is that second last quote Chaol? *eyes widen*
    –B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not telling ;) IzzyBelle, can't wait to see what you think of this!!! :D

      Delete
  2. OMG I'M SO SUPER EXCITED I CAN'T EVEN ... Ohhhh *breathe,breathe*
    Who says the third quote? Oh everything you wrote is making me want to read this soooo much!
    *I'm so jealous you people have copies of this book already* BTW I'm really happy that the book is big and that there are pieces that will be connecting in my mind.
    -My apologies for fangirling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorian says the third quote. Yes, that was my goal, to get people excited and even more anxious!! :) Yes, EVERYTHING will connect ;) Haha never apologize for fangirling.

      Delete
  3. I am very excited now!!! I am a little nervous because I enjoy the romance and you say there isn't much of it in this book. Regardless I will definitely be reading this once it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there's not much romance, but I'm sure that'll change in the next book ;) There's lots of other things going on to keep us readers occupied though!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this too, but it was definitely my least favourite of the series so far. It just felt a little too long and I definitely missed Chaolaena a lot in this book. It's made me beyond excited for book four though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same least favorite but still great :) It was a bit too long. I agree, but they'll be reunited soon!!! It's the anticipation for Chaolaena that held me throughout the book ;)

      Delete
  5. AHHHHH. HEIR OF FIRE. I'm so excited for Heir of fire it's not even funny. OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you said you found the beginning slow, because I almost gave up. A friend convinced me to press on, and the last half of the book was really a page-turner!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you didn't quit! The second half was definitely a page-turner :)

      Delete
  7. I'm still reading the first book, glad to see you liked this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! I hope you're enjoying the first one ;)

      Delete
  8. I need to marathon Crown of Midnight and Heir of Fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, yes do it!! I'll send you Heir of Fire if you need it ;)

      Delete
  9. I haven't read any of the Throne of Glass books yet. I think I might have too. Binge reading them will probably be the best but, huh? Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you loved it!! I love it too, but I wanted more Chaol and Celaena huhu…But Rowan made me swoon all the way. hihi I loved the friendship and bond they created. Manon was so freaking cool! I just can't stop blabbering!!!! I have butterflies everywhere!!!! I need to fangirl with someone.

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same, I NEED Chaolaena ;( Rowan is quite swoon-worthy ;) Manon is pretty cool but scary too!! haha I'm always here to fangirl ;)

      Delete
  11. Ok so there are two books that I'm tired of seeing on everyone's blogs. One is Silver Shadows and the other is this one. Why? BECAUSE I CANNOT READ ANY OF THE REVIEWS. UGHHH. I'm glad to see based on your rating that you enjoyed it, but sorry. I just don't want to know anything until I've read the book myself :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siiri, you'll enjoy it!! It's great :) Yeah my review is mostly spoil-free but read the book first ;)

      Delete
  12. I NEED TO READ THIS BOOK!! Your review is amazing! I'm obsessed with this series!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently bought the first book, Throne of Glass, and hope to read it soonish. I have heard amazing things about this series and my sister loved the first two books. I might put it off a bit longer though since there are still 3 more books that need to be released. 6 books in a series is a lot D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but it allows for more epicness!! :) This series is going to go far. I hope you enjoy the books :)

      Delete
  14. I LOVED the first book in this series but haven't gotten to the second one yet. I should NOT be reading this review but I CAN'T RESIST. I need to get reading the second book now! I didn't realize it was going to be such a big series. I thought it was a three book thing. Wow! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I might have spoiled you a bit for Crown of Midnight. It's totally amazing though so go read ;)

      Delete
  15. Awesome! Yay for new characters!! It looks like a VERY good sequel! Unfortunately, I still have to read the prequel before picking book 2 up but I will get to it...someday. ;) Beautiful review, so glad this is such a good read for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely Lola ;) yeah the new characters were awesome! It was an amazing sequel and quite different from the other books.

      Delete
  16. I haven't started the series yet (totally buying them soon tough because I want to be in on this fandom already!) Got to say, do love that this ones more focused on the plot and storyline and characters more than the romance. It's not sacrificing the story for romance, like most, so yay! I've been hearing that there's a lot of character growth in this one too, (like you said, you see a different side to Celaena, and love meeting new characters in the middle of a series. Glad you enjoyed it so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you enjoy the series too! Yes I appreciate that this book focuses more on the plot, characters, and storylines :)

      Delete
  17. I wasn't a big fan of Throne of Glass, but I have an eBook of Crown of Midnight, which I've been hearing is absolutely fantabulous. I also have an eARC of Heir of Fire waiting to be read.... I will. After exams! Anyway, so glad you enjoyed this! I've been hearing a lot about this Rowan guy and am excited to meet him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Rowan is amazing!! Good luck on exams, Celaena and Chaol and everyone will be waiting for you when you return ;) Crown of Midnight is my absolute favorite so far!

      Delete
  18. Okay, I didn't completely read your review. I'm just waiting for Aimee to finish whatever she needs to finish for school since we plan to buddy read it, but I am super glad to see that you loved this one. Everyone I know who have read this loved it to bits and I can't wait to feel the same way! :D BUT OF COURSE CHAOL AND CELAENA FOR LIFE!!!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Faye!! Definitely, Chaolaena all the way <3 ;)

      Delete
    2. Is there even a chance for Chaolena though?

      Delete
    3. There is ALWAYS a chance of Chaolaena ;) Yeah I think the next book is going to be about them working together and rekindling their relationship among other things. HoF ends pretty obviously saying she's going to find Chaol now.

      Delete
  19. I loved this book so much! I liked how it managed to incorporate new characters and conflicts into the series (though I missed seeing Dorian, Chaol, and Celaena together), and I can't wait to see what happens in the next book! Too bad we have to wait an entire year though :( And I'll admit it, I kind of had a thing for Rowan at the beginning *blushes*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I miss the crew!!!! Book #4 is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see them save Aedion from his demise... It's going to be EPIC.

      Delete
  20. it's unavailable in my country for now, but i'm so excited to read it. I mean, i was soo shocked after what happend in the ,,Crown of midnight" , especially because i shipped Chaolena soooo much. And i need to know what's going to happen next ! Can't wait for the Polish premiere ! I even wrote a email to the Polish publishing house to ask them about the premiere.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great review! I'm reading it now, and I agree with you that it is a bit slow to start with. Your review has made me more determined to read this series now :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)