Review ~ Opposition by Jennifer L Armentrout

Series: Lux #5
Genre: YA Paranormal
Page Length: 534 Pages
Publication Date: August 5th, 2014
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Source: Purchased
Goodreads

Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came.

She can't believe Daemon welcomed his race or stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred, and love has become an emotion that could destroy her—could destroy them all.

Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal.

They must team with an unlikely enemy if there is any chance of surviving the invasion. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything— even what they cherish most—to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.

War has come to Earth. And no matter the outcome, the future will never be the same for those left standing.

Have you ever read a book that you absolutely loved and then when you went to reread it, you hated it?

I read the Lux books last summer and found them wildly entertaining and filled with awesome characters. I recently reread them and found them to be unsatisfactory. I didn't understand, I LOVED these books last summer... Saying I was excited for the release of this book would be an understatement. I think that my taste in books has changed since last year. Before (as in last year) I was very easily entertained and loved basically every book I'd read. Granted I was a new reader and didn't know any better, I think I've become more critical and now know my reading "likes and dislikes." With a heavy heart I must say that Opposition and Jennifer L Armentrout books in general have fallen out of my favor.

I don't know what's wrong with me!! I love JLA's humor and hot characters but besides that, I don't really love much else anymore. Her writing style, although it totally embodies her protagonist, was a bit childish and just plain dull. There are no meaningful quotes, there's only puerile remarks or blisteringly hot romance scenes. There's nothing quotable except some romance lines and comedic lines.

The romance in this book was cute at moments but just over-the-top in other instances. There were random sex scenes all over the place!! It's not erotica, but still. Isn't there a story going on??

The action scenes were pretty intense and exciting. Although the book was 500+ pages it didn't seem that long. The pacing was great. Opposition was amusing and entertaining in parts. This book is definitely a page turner.

I like the characters. They are all pretty amusing and charming. I didn't see any character growth in them though. That disappoints me a bit. I will miss these wonderful characters though.

I've noticed that between JLA's three YA series Covenant, Lux, and The Dark Elements, the plots are quite similar; they just happen to be about different paranormals. The protagonists of these three series are basically the same character. They have the same voice (and same narrative/writing style). I understand it's written by the same author, but the characters have the same mannerisms and silly exclamations. They have the same characteristics (stubborn, pretty-but-doesn't-know-it-until-hot-guy-tells-her-so, seemingly perfect, funny, feisty). It gets old and repetitive, fast. There's always a hot guy in each of her series that falls madly in love with the main character right away (Seth, Aiden, Daemon, Zayn, Roth). They're all really badass and cocky (with the exception of Aiden). All of the books have some semblance of a love triangle too. The beginning of all of these series start out innocent but then by book 3 they blow out into a catastrophic, characters-must-save-the-world routine.

Yikes this review is sounding very angry. I feel that this book is really just sugar sweet and fake, it's funny and action-packed but there's no substance. It's a crowd pleaser. I really can't think of much else to say. The epilogue of this book was satisfying though.

Lux fans will definitely enjoy the heart-racing conclusion to the Lux series, but those who aren't die-hard fans of Lux and JLA might not enjoy this just as I didn't.



37 comments:

  1. I think the only books I've reread recently have been The Hunger Games and the Game of Thrones series. But I know if I were to read some of my old faves (like my old Christopher Pike books), I'd probably feel very differently. Anyhow, it was interesting to hear about your change of heart, and it's always exciting to be growing as a reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wish I still liked these though :( I used to reread THG all the time. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love these books and always will, even when rereading but I definitely see the points you've made. These books are supposed to be light and funny, and yeah, there's not a whole lot of layers. When I go into them, I just go in looking for entertainment and humor. I don't go in looking for the tons of depth. But I definitely think these are the types of books you have to be in the right mood for. If you are looking for deep quotes and elegant prose, you're not going to find it here. But if you look for funny and accessible writing and swoon-wrothy romance, this is a pretty good place to start.

    Thanks for the honest review!

    Ashtyn @ Wonderland’s Reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that they're supposed to be light and funny. I think now I've started looking for books with more of a meaning or great themes. :/ It is funny and easy to read though :)

      Delete
  3. I've been wondering the same thing myself. I know I really enjoyed the first 3 books when I read them last year but now I'm not so sure anymore. I really want to know how it all wraps up but I'm so afraid I'll end up not enjoying it :( Love your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen :) I kept with it because I wanted to know how it would end as well.

      Delete
  4. Great review, Rachel! :) After reading and not particularly enjoying Onyx, I've been on the fence as to whether I should finish this series. I think I'll end up reading them, since as you mentioned, they're not particularly meaningful but are funny and sweet. I'm disappointed that this series wasn't as good as it sounded though, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they're entertaining reads. I'm a bit disappointed too :P

      Delete
  5. I read the first book of this series, and while I could see why other people like it, it wasn't really for me for some of the reasons you list. However, I read her thriller, Don't Look Back, and really enjoyed that one.
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really like to read Don't Look Back. I've heard great things about it!

      Delete
  6. Great review, Rachel! I only read the first book in this series and it really wasn't my cup of tea so I ended up disliking it.Ah, the ups and downs of a reader's life. Sorry to hear you were disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naban! Yeah it's not the best :(

      Delete
  7. Yikes, I'm scared to carry on with them now (though totally agree), I've only read the first in this series (ages ago, and loved it then- but yeah, my tastes have changed too, so I don't know whether I would like it anymore or not.) Loved Don't Look Back, since psychological thrillers are my thing, and read the prequel to White Hot Kiss, which, have to say, yeah, read like her other paranormal's. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's really worth continuing if you're looking for a meaningful read. This is more entertainment and humorous based. I really need to read Don't Look Back! I've heard great things about it.

      Delete
  8. Hi :) I nominated you for a Liebster Award! For more info, visit my blog: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/i-won-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also nominated you for this award! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. True this series isn't one with a lot of deeper meaning to it. It's definitely more of a fun and light book with great humor. Like Ashtyn said, some books just provide good entertainment and humor. It's interesting how readers tastes change over time. I used to love romance contemporaries all the time and now I mostly read fantasy. Well at least you sort of enjoyed the book =) Hope your next read is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't have a deep meaning, but they are fun :) I used to read lots of paranormals, now I'm starting to read more fantasy as well. Thanks Stephanie!

      Delete
  11. Awww...I'm sorry to hear this was a bit of a letdown Rachel! :( I don't usually reread many books (I already have too many books to read as it is!) except once or twice for some of my favorite series, so I'm not sure what it's like to love a book the first time you read it and then feel "meh" about it the second time you read it, but I can imagine it's never a good feeling! :(

    From how you described the characters, I don't think I'd like them either. They sound so stereotypical, and that doesn't seem something I'd necessarily be excited to read. And the romance kind of worries me too. If I wanted a book with sex scenes I would have gotten an erotica book, you know? :|

    Nonetheless, thanks for sharing Rachel, and BRILLIANT review. I think you've definitely explained your thoughts and feelings thoroughly and really given a lot of support to your arguments, so YEAH for that! ;)

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably shouldn't be rereading, I've got a huge mound of books I need to get through :P They are a bit stereotypical but still lovable. I've grown to seek and love character development, and these characters just didn't have it. Haha I know right? I don't WANT to read erotica. :P It wasn't really vivid or in detail, but still. They couldn't keep their hands to themselves. 0_o

      Thanks Z! YAY!

      Delete
  12. I wasn't a huge fan of the first book, but have enjoyed them more and more as the series went on. But I haven't read this last one yet. And I haven't read any of Armentrout's other books, so I'm not doing the comparison thing. I do think it gets frustrating when the characters all feel too alike.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books do get a bit better, but overall they're just not as great as I thought :/ They do get frustrating. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. I've heard of this book everywhere! I have never read anything from this author, but now I want to because I see a lot of people reading and loving her books so much!! :O

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are quite entertaining. She writes really quickly too!

      Delete
  14. I'm still waiting to read this book. Man, i need to get on these book bandwagons. That usually happens to me when I read long series as well. No biggie. It's just that we already know what's going to happen. I'm with ya sister! Great post :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah come on, Alex. Pick up the slack here!! xD I just really wanted to like it and was sad when I didn't :( Thanks hon <3

      Delete
  15. Thank you so much for the honest review, Rachel. You've made me glad to decide to not continue this series. It's really sucky to hear that the characters do not grow here at all and there are no meaningful writing that was involved. This is why I am so hesitant to read JLA's books, the fact that all her heroines sound and are exactly the same. I DO NOT WANT THAT AT ALL. It would only mean reading one book from her is enough since the rest would be the same rehashed story.

    All in all, I'm so sorry this one was such a huge disappointment. I understand how the negatives far outweigh the positives, and I'm sure it would have been the same for me if ever I read this!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?? I NEED character growth, especially in a series. Otherwise what's the point of reading about these people?? They do!! They have the same catch phrases and quirks and personalities. So true! Thanks Faye <3

      Delete
  16. Hi, im mercedes from the YA craze.
    I just nominated you for a liebster award.
    Follow me and visit my blog for information on how to obtain it.
    yacraze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. 535 pages... whattttt? I probably would not enjoy this book, either (even if I haven't read the series) just because I'm not a huge fan of JLA. Definitely hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?? I read it on my iPad, so I didn't even notice until I started writing this review. No wonder it felt so long, it was a huge book! Thanks Marianne, I hope so too :)

      Delete
  18. Ehhhh random sex scenes? That's one of my biggest pet peeves and what the heck 500+ pages?? Good to know about the pacing but the length still seems pretty daunting for this series, especially considering this is the fifth book. And I totally know what you mean by re-reading. I did that with Vampire Academy and wondered why I didn't like it as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so random and quite uncomfortable... 0_o Same, I really liked VA but found it subpar when I reread. :(

      Delete
  19. I tagged you for the Ten Book Challenge! Check out my post for more: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/ten-book-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)