Review ~ Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead

Series: Bloodlines #5
Genre: YA Paranormal
Page Length: 380 Pages
Publication Date: July 29th, 2014
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Purchased
Goodreads

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives. 

In The Fiery Heart, Sydney risked everything to follow her gut, walking a dangerous line to keep her feelings hidden from the Alchemists. 


Now in the aftermath of an event that ripped their world apart, Sydney and Adrian struggle to pick up the pieces and find their way back to each other. But first, they have to survive. 


For Sydney, trapped and surrounded by adversaries, life becomes a daily struggle to hold on to her identity and the memories of those she loves. Meanwhile, Adrian clings to hope in the face of those who tell him Sydney is a lost cause, but the battle proves daunting as old demons and new temptations begin to seize hold of him. . . . 


Their worst fears now a chilling reality, Sydney and Adrian face their darkest hour in this heart-pounding fifth installment in the New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series, where all bets are off.

Richelle is a writing veteran. She's written tons of great books full of attack and humor and romance, and her latest book is no exception. Filled with plot twists, action, and swoon worthy lines, this book is sure to please Bloodlines fans. 


There are so many things that I love about this series. The romance. The humor. The action. The writing. The twists. The stakes are even higher for our characters, and Mead ratcheted up the storyline to bring readers a thrilling continuation of the Bloodlines series. (no this is not used in the same context as ratchet which plagues the internet and society) 


Mead's writing is always consistently good. She makes everything flow and come together nicely. There were so many plot twists and just so much emotion poured into the writing. Mead has the ability to ensnare readers and keep their attention for the whole book. The tone of this book was much darker. I could have read this in one sitting if I hadn't fallen asleep... I'm not going to lie, this book gets rough in parts. I'm glad that Mead manages to balance out the rough parts with humor. It was easy to distinguish the two POVs (an Allegiant flaw). This book was hilarious as usual and did not disappoint.

"'Are you in a suit?' I managed at last, my voice choking up. 'you didn't have to dress up for me.' 'Quiet, Sage,' he said. 'I'll make the hilarious one-liners during this daring rescue.'"

"I took it and saw Keith's name, along with a phone number and address in Boise, Idaho, of all places. 'Boise?' I asked. 'Hasn't he suffered enough?'" 

"Duncan's expression still looked slightly amused, like this might all be some weird trick of his subconscious, when my words finally sunk in. 'Oh, man. You're him. The cute and brooding vampire boyfriend.' 'She said I was cute and brooding?'"

The storyline was amazing!! It was slow to start but picked up eventually. This book was very reminiscent of Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout. It was horrifying in parts, melt-your-heart blissful in others, and laugh-out-loud funny. There's an increased amount of action in this book that kept me on the edge of my seat. As much as I liked this book though, it was missing something. The beginning was just too slow and sad and the lack of enjoyability in the beginning made me lower my rating a bit. There was just a bit too much sulking going on that I didn't like, stop sulking and do something!! 

The character development throughout this series is great! Adrian's grown to be much more responsible and strong. He's still got his flaws and his tough moments, but he's changed so much since the beginning of this series. I love how complex his character is. I am immensely proud of Sydney. She stayed strong in times of terror and was her usual awesome self. Another thing that bothered me is that the Bloodlines storyline has veered off course a bit. It used to be about protecting Jill (whom we hardly see in these later books), and now it's focused on Sydrian. I love Sydrian but still... I love the Palm Springs crew, and it was great seeing their reunion. We spend some time back at court, so it was wonderful to see some familiar faces. 

The romance was so swoon worthy. I can't convey how much I love Sydrian. They are an amazing couple, they make each other better :) 

I would never try to better myself. I would never achieve greatness, the way Sydney had always made me feel I could. And I would never, ever have that euphoric, all-consuming love that had wrapped around me every moment I was with Sydney, that feeling of love that constantly made me think, Yes, this is what it means to be alive.

Because he's wonderful and sensitive and funny. Because we bring out the best in each other and are better people because of our love. Because when we're together, I fell like I understand my place in the world.

CHAPTER 19:
You're in for a surprise ^^

The second half of the book picks up the pace and some crazy things happen. I guessed the ending, but it was still good. I'm so excited for The Ruby Circle which comes out February 10th! It's set up for greatness, and I have complete faith in Mead to do it justice. I'm thinking this isn't the end of the Mead vampire series, perhaps we'll have a series on Jill's story?

In a GIF:

Overall this was another satisfying book in the Bloodlines series that fans will eat up! 
What were your thoughts on this book? Do you like Richelle Mead's novels? 

23 comments:

  1. I bought and read it the first day it came out lol. I was just so excited and I couldn't wait for more Sydrian. You're right, something was missing from the story, but I rated it five stars anyway because I love Richelle's writing style so much. I think what annoyed me was how Adrian wasn't doing anything at all in the beginning, seriously he pitied himself too much when he wasn't the one who was being tortured and he kind of used Nita which I did not approve of. I still loved him and all the other characters too, you're right, there was too little of Jill, Eddie, Angeline and Trey, I missed them a lot. I can't wait for the Ruby Circle, I hope we'll get more Marcus, he was so awesome plus I think Sydney and Adrian still have so much to talk about and get through and I need Jill and Eddie to be together. :))) Great review: :DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely!! I HATE how Adrian used Nina and was just wallowing in his own self pity. I'm starting to like Marcus now, before I was just wary of him. I liked this book but the beginning was just too slow and sad and depressing to give a five star rating to. I missed the crew too. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm so excited for this!! Your review just made my feels get all pregnant & I'm dying becouse the book isn't with me yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a confession to make: I've never read a book by Richelle Mead before. For some reason, despite the infinite glowing reviews her books have, I never really felt an urge to pick them up. But your review has definitely made me want to get my hands on a copy of her work ASAP! Thanks for sharing Rachel and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read them, Zoe!! There's so much fun :) Perhaps not the deepest read but quite enjoyable. Thanks lovely <3

      Delete
  4. I preordered this and I still haven't downloaded it to my kindle yet! What is wrong with me?! I can't wait to read it though and I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this series yet because I haven't finished VA .-. I suck at continuing series. Gah. But I keeps seeing reviews for this one, so I really need to get to this series! Great review. So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Bloodlines is a bit different from VA but great in its own way. Haha I'm sure you'll get back to VA eventually :)

      Delete
  6. I really need to start this series. I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Those gifs are pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I have a whole storage center for them on GR xD

      Delete
  7. Great review!! I know something big happens but now I know to look for it in Chapter 19 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need this book in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes you do, it's AMAZING!! Chapter 19. That's all I'm saying ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you said it's all about Sydrian now, because that's something that I didn't expect in the series. I liked those multiple storylines and how each character had their own story, but it felt like it took a back seat in this installment. Lovely review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I skimmed this review because I plan to read this one very soon, as Gameboard of the God and its sequel, The Immortal Crown, made me a fan of this awesome author. Just want to say that I'm super glad you loved it! Richelle Mead really is an amazing author, and her characterization and building of scenes is second to none. Can't wait to rad this one soon! <3 <3 Lovely review!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love Richelle's writing, and her characterization is quite amazing.

      Delete
  12. I sort of skimmed the review since I plan to read it sometime in the near future... after Lupe from Catching Bookz, and I quote, "Shove the book into my face when school starts."

    Although.. I might be a tad bit meh about another series. .-.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really really liked this book- I always feel that there is a tiny flair of the dramatics in Richelle Mead's books! But that is what makes them exciting. And the twist at the end- I can't wait until the final book!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)