ARC Review: Ashes to Ashes

Author: Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian
Series: Burn For Burn #3
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length: 400 Pages
Publication Date: September 16th, 2014
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: ARC via Blogger friend! 
Goodreads

New Year's Eve ended with a bang and Mary, Kat and Lillia may not be prepared for what is to come.

After *spoiler removed*, Kat and Lillia try to put the pieces together of what happened to . They both blame themselves. If Lillia hadn't *spoiler removed*... If Kat had only *spoiler removed*... Things could have been different. Now they will never be the same.

Only Mary knows the truth about that night. About what she is. She also knows the truth about *spoiler removed*, about Reeve being happy when all he deserves is misery, just like the misery he caused her. Now their childish attempts at revenge are a thing of the past and Mary is out for blood. Will she leave anything in her wake or will all that remain be ashes?

Doesn't that synopsis just intrigue you?? Haha I'm being sarcastic. Basically half the synopsis was spoiler removed-ed out XD All those *spoiler removed*'s were necessary because well, they'd spoil the series for you! All in all though, Ashes to Ashes is a contemporary novel about three girls who conspire against three people whom they want revenge on. Its got romance, partying, revenge, mystery, suspense, it's a pleasure read. It's not an intellectually-deep or thought-provoking story; it's pure enjoyment.

With that being said, I honestly don't know what to say about this book! I'm so conflicted, yikes I hope this doesn't become a trend. Ashes to Ashes had great moments, it had okay moments, it had horrible moments.
What I really enjoyed about Ashes to Ashes was the suspense. Readers were on-edge the whole time! I read this book in two sittings. I just sat there turning page after page until I finished! I had to break for food obviously, but that's besides the point... This book is a definite page-turner. Having no idea what was going to happen next, I kept reading. There were lots of twists and turns, things I never saw coming. The plot truly attached itself to the reader.

The three points of view really brought the story together as a whole. Each point of view was necessary and contributed to the story in some way. None of the parts were lacking or boring or less important than others. The pacing was great! The tones were different for each point of view as it should be (unlike Allegiant) and clearly expressed the different voices of the protagonists. The authors truly became the protagonists. We sympathized with these characters, we (mostly) liked these characters, we connected with them.

Romance was not a weak point in this book. There were tons of cutesy scenes, many pages were shrouded by my blissful and dazed gaze. I couldn't stop grinning at some of these adorable scenes. This is definitely one of my favorite ships!!

The theme of the book truly hit me hard though. I thought this book was just pure enjoyment and had little meaning. Through the summer reading assignments I've been forced to read, it's truly opened my eyes up to writing in general. Every story is told for a reason. The author is trying to convince us readers of something. The authors did that in Ashes to Ashes and did it well which I'm quite impressed by.

I can't (coherently) explain my thoughts on the ending so here's a gif to help show what I'm feeling:


The ending kind of pulled the rug out from under me. It's similar to the ending of Even in Paradise (psstt, review to come for that fabulous book). There was that twist at the end, the sting that just hurts. Something I truly wanted to happen, something I was rooting for, fell apart. I'm not going to lie, the ending tarnished this book's reputation for me. I felt the ending wasn't really necessary. It came out of left field and not in a good way. While the end of Even in Paradise is wistful and somber and well done, Ashes to Ashes ending makes no sense. It adds no significance to the story; it kind of just happens. Who knew that authors could kill a bookish vibe in two sentences?? The things that happened afterwards were just plain sad. I'm conflicted because I did like the last three sentences of the book. This reaffirms my opinion that not every book needs an epilogue.

Filled with suspense and romance and a great theme, the final book in the Burn for Burn series brings an "interesting" end to the revenge-driven series that may or may not please fans.

8 comments:

  1. Great review, Rachel! :) I've yet to start BURN FOR BURN, but it seems like a series that most either hate or love, haha! I've hesitated on it because I'm not sure I'd enjoy a revenge-driven story, but who knows. Maybe I ought to give it a go after all!

    Jules @ The Book of Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting to read this book for ages and thanks so much for this post because you've just reminded me it came out yesterday!! Lillia is my favouriteee!!! I'm also glad to hear there are cutesy romance scenes coz that's pretty much why I read this series, for pure enjoyment too. Great review! Can't wait to read that ending ;)

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. That synopsis intrigues me quite a bit. ;) #NOT

    I haven't read Burn for Burn yet, but I've heard some awesome things about it, and your review has really intrigued me to give this series a try. I love the sound of how suspenseful this is and how the themes were incorporated without being overly preachy. Thanks for sharing Rachel, and BRILLIANT review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the sound of this revenge driven series! I just love suspenseful books with heaps of twists and turns, that journey is one that I will enjoy. Thank you for your review Rachel, I think I'll definitely pick up this series now knowing that you really enjoyed it! And thanks for removing the spoilers from the blurb lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first book, but it just wasn't for me. Glad to know the rest of the series was okay. Although, I still wouldn't read the rest of it.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an interesting series and I know it's one I want to read some day.

    And a huge thanks for joining in my spreading blogging feel-good feels! I haven't visited before I really enjoyed your review. It was short so quick to read but it still covered all the key points and gave me a really good feel for whether it was a 'Trish' book or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to start reading this series! I bought the first book a while back and it's sitting on my shelf just waiting for me. I really have to make some time for it, seeing as they seem like fabulous books :)

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/09/waiting-for-dusk-book-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Completely agree! I loved the first two books and the I loved the third up until the last chapter. Awful ending and seems completely un needed. There should be a fourth book that takes place after the epilogue

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)