ARC Review ~ Lailah by Nikki Kelly

Series: Styclar Saga #1
Genre: YA Paranormal
Page Length:  416 Pages
Publication Date: October 7th, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Source: ARC via friend! 
Goodreads

The girl knows she’s different. She doesn’t age. She has no family. She has visions of a past life, but no clear clues as to what she is, or where she comes from. But there is a face in her dreams – a light that breaks through the darkness. She knows his name is Gabriel.

On her way home from work, the girl encounters an injured stranger whose name is Jonah. Soon, she will understand that Jonah belongs to a generation of Vampires that serve even darker forces. Jonah and the few like him, are fighting with help from an unlikely Allie – a rogue Angel, named Gabriel.

In the crossfire between good and evil, love and hate, and life and death, the girl learns her name: Lailah. But when the lines between black and white begin to blur, where in the spectrum will she find her place? And with whom?

Gabriel and Jonah both want to protect her. But Lailah will have to fight her own battle to find out who she truly is.

In a battle for the soul of a nation, will love or destiny reign supreme?
Just when I thought the paranormal scene was dead (no pun intended), the glorious Nikki Kelly brought it back to life with a fascinating and creepy tale. The protagonist, Lailah, doesn't know who or what she is. She doesn't age, and whenever she dies, she mysteriously wakes up again. The only thing she does remember is a name matched with a face in her dreams, Gabriel. Thrust into a harrowing situation, Lailah becomes immersed in a fight of good versus evil.

Nikki puts a twist to the normal paranormal (see what I did there?) and brings a surprisingly fresh story that hasn't been told before. I feel that Lailah is a book that you need to be in the mood for though. If you're looking for a creepy and fun and sexy book filled with unique writing and awesome characters, this is the book for you. If you're looking for a book packed-full with motifs and life lessons and underlying meanings and philosophical entities, this isn't the book for you. It's fun and spooky, Halloween is the perfect to time to read it!

The characters in this book were what really made me enjoy Lailah. They are a bit stereotypical but also vivid and fun and just so interesting. Nikki weaves a wonderful backstory for each character yet leaves some mystery to makes us wonder and question and theorize. This book truly had a campy feel to it. It's a bit overly dramatic in parts, but it makes this book even more endearing and enticing.

Lailah takes place in Europe, and Nikki did a wonderful job of describing everything. I just wanted to pack my bags and go tour Europe. Nikki's writing is unique and descriptive and addictive. I couldn't stop reading! I was hooked from the beginning, and my attention was held throughout.

There's a love triangle in this series. It's different than most though because this love triangle actually works. There's Gabriel, the perfect angel, and Jonah, the bad boy vampire. I don't know why, it just works people, IT DOES. I promise. They both have their secrets though, so it should be interesting to see these revelations come to light.

This book isn't perfect, but then again no book is. This book has so much going for it: addictive writing, intriguing characters, fascinating storyline, a lovely setting, and an amazing love triangle. So if you're in the mood for a fun paranormal read, this is for you! Dark. Sexy. Intriguing. Filled with twists and turns and set on a beautiful backdrop, Lailah is sure to enchant and haunt you from the start.


16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review! I've heard very mixed things about Lailah but I'm still interested to find out for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'm so excited to read Lailah! I've heard a lot of positive reviews about it and Nikki Kelly is amazing ;)

    The plot sounds amazing and I've heard a lot of people arguing about who is better, Gabriel or Jonah. Which one of them are you rooting for? I really can't wait to read this book! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    Maisha @ Books Equal Awesomeness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this sounds like an awesome book! I have been awaiting it for a while and it is on my TBR so I can't wait to sink my teeth into it! I don't mind a love triangle, as long as it is executed well, and it sounds like this one is! I hope you do get to come to Europe someday as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! You've been tagged for the Creatures of the Night tag:D Sorry, its kinda late:( Here's the post for more info:http://mylittlecornerforbooks.blogspot.com/2014/10/creatures-of-night-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want to read this! I heard a few less-than-happy reviews though....but the cover is creeptastic enough for me to ignore all and just eat it. Eventually. I'll have to wait until my library gets it in, I think. XD But ohhh, set in Europe?! I didn't know that! I LOVE books set in Europe. Or basically anywhere other than America/Australia (not that I have anything against books set there, but it's just typical, imo, and I like something different.) XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I'm looking forward to this book's release for sure :)

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/review-anna-dressed-in-blood-anna-1-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I met the author at the Fierce Reads tour, and she seemed so sweet, so I'm so glad to hear her book is good! :D Paranormal isn't my favorite genre, but I do like to give it a read once in a while, and I think this book will definitely be something I should pick up. Thanks for sharing and, as always, beautiful review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. A love triangle that works!! YES! Great honest review girly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww I'm glad you liked it! I wasn't a huge fan honestly, but the author was super sweet about it <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love well developed characters, especially if time goes into their backstory. Really liking the sound of that romance as well, totally don't mind a well done love triangle. Seems like a pretty fun setting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ehhh, my opinion is vastly different from yours. I gave it 0 - 1 - star, but the author was totally nice and understanding (I was almost embarrassed when she said that she knew I didn't enjoy the book, because she randomly read my review). I hate love triangles and I don't think this one worked at all - but that's just me! I'm glad you enjoyed the book :D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am totally ok with a love triangle that actually works! Great review!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to read this one, but I've read such mixed reviews. I wish I could visit Europe too! A love triangle that worked? That's rare. Okay, I might have to give this book a shot after all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know about this one .... the love triangle, the angel and vampire thing, the rebirth, the amnesia. These are not things that I am excited to read about. But hey, I've changed my mind before. And glad you liked it!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhhh, interesting! I love it when a book immerses you so much in its setting you feel like you wanna go there yourself! Rashika didn't like this one in her review so I was very hesitant... but perhaps I should reconsider when I want a Halloween-y read with sexy characters. Haha.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome review! I'm excited to read this book.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)