ARC Review: Queen of Someday


Author: Sherry D. Ficklin
Genre: YA Historical Fiction
Page Length: 262 Pages
Publication Date: October 7th, 2014
Publisher: Clean Teen Publishing
Source: e-ARC via Netgalley
Series: Stolen Empire #1
Goodreads

ONE GIRL WILL BRING AN EMPIRE TO ITS KNEES...

Before she can become the greatest empress in history, fifteen-year-old Sophie will have to survive her social-climbing mother’s quest to put her on the throne of Russia—at any cost.

Imperial Court holds dangers like nothing Sophie has ever faced before. In the heart of St. Petersburg, surviving means navigating the political, romantic, and religious demands of the bitter Empress Elizabeth and her handsome, but sadistic nephew, Peter. Determined to save her impoverished family—and herself—Sophie vows to do whatever is necessary to thrive in her new surroundings. But an attempt on her life and an unexpected attraction threatens to derail her plans.

Alone in a new and dangerous world, learning who to trust and who to charm may mean the difference between becoming queen and being sent home in shame to marry her lecherous uncle. With traitors and murderers lurking around every corner, her very life hangs in the balance. Betrothed to one man but falling in love with another, Sophie will need to decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice in order to become the empress she is destined to be.

In a battle for the soul of a nation, will love or destiny reign supreme?

This book is basically a better version of The Ring and the Crown by Melissa de la Cruz. It's also reminiscent of the tv show Reign. This historical fiction read was captivating and alluring. I couldn't stop reading! Filled with pretty dresses, deception, trysts, court gossip, romance, and more, this book is sure to please.

I was immediately taken with this book after reading the synopsis. I LOVE historical fiction and was thrilled to read this. I loved the book from the start. The main character, Sophie, is strong and admirable. We see her character change throughout the story. Queen of Someday is loosely based on the story of the famous Catherine the Great. This book shows her growing up and how she came to be the famous (and cold) monarch she is remembered as now. It was interesting seeing her character change and develop throughout the book. What I really liked is how well I could connect with Sophie. The secondary characters were just as descriptive and great (as in well-written, not all are great people). I wish we had more time with them though...

There's some of this:

And so many:

The romance was so sweet! There are three love interests, so it gets a bit messy. It's not a love square or a love quadrilateral, as I like to call it. It wasn't insta-love, each relationship developed (to different extents). There are cutesy scenes, awwww-inducing lines, and heartache.

Queen of Someday truly captured life at court. From the costumes to the customs, etiquette to the backstabbing, partying, drinking, romance, blackmail, opulence, this book had it all. The pacing was fantastic. For 262 pages, this book went far! The writing is lyrical and pretty. The twists and turns forced me to keep reading. The plot isn't too complex, Sophie is trying to win the prince's heart and marry him, so her family will be ensconced and wealthy again. I still enjoyed it though! It shows that even simple plots, if done well, can be enjoyable.

I'd highly recommend this book! It's a great historical fiction read filled with sweet romance, sophisticated writing, and courtly-intrigue.

Be sure to enter the giveaway!

A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR:

The true story of Catherine the Great is one fraught with betrayal, intrigue, and romance. While a good deal of my story is drawn from actual people and events, I have been very liberal in the rearrangement of dates, events, and places. Whenever possible I took my cues from her own words, intermixing my own thoughts and ideas. My thought upon the creation of the book was simple. I looked at the woman she was when she claimed the crown and then wondered, how did an innocent girl from Germany become such a force of nature? Most people aren’t born cold or ambitious, but have circumstances that forge them into those people. And that was the story I wanted to tell in this book. I wanted to see the events in her early life that would have changed her into the person she became, and not knowing the truth of that story, I simply made something up. That is what we, as writers, do best.

If you are curious about the real history behind Catherine, I suggest heading to your local library and doing a bit of research. This is not meant to be a historically accurate representation, but a flight of fancy, one that I hope you, dear reader, will enjoy as much as I have.

ABOUT SHERRY D. FICKLIN

Sherry D. Ficklin is a full time writer from Colorado where she lives with her husband, four kids, two dogs, and a fluctuating number of chickens and house guests. A former military brat, she loves to travel and meet new people. She can often be found browsing her local bookstore with a large white hot chocolate in one hand and a towering stack of books in the other. That is, unless she’s on deadline at which time she, like the Loch Ness monster, is only seen in blurry photographs.

She is the author of The Gods of Fate Trilogy now available from Dragonfly Publishing. Her previously self-published novel After Burn: Military Brats has been acquired by Harlequin and will be released in 2015 with a second book in that series to follow. Her newest YA steampunk novel, EXTRACTED: The Lost Imperials book 1, co-written with Tyler H. Jolley is now available everywhere books are sold and her newest YA novel, Losing Logan, is due for release in 2014 from Clean Teen Publishing.



5 comments:

  1. I tried reading it, but I DNF-ed it for a while. Now I think I should get back to reading it again. I DO love historical fiction,but I was occupied with so many things while I was reading this. I really SHOULD give this a try soon. Great review, Rachel! :)

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmy, I've never heard of this book and now I'm adding it to my tbr list. I've never read The Ring and the Crown but I've been meaning to do so... and knowing that this is a better version.. I'm definitely getting this especially that I'm starting to get into historical-fiction lately :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel! Great review, I have this one too and I suck because I'm ignoring this one. I loved the blurb but the cover... not so much! :P I saw a FEELS gif there so now I realize.. this book is for me. Thanks for the review, Rachel! <3

    Paula M. @ Her Book Thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer it when historical fiction is more loosely based, that way it's not bogged down by boring details. Three love interests? I'm curious how that isn't a quadrangle. I don't usual read historicals when fantasy isn't involved, I'm tempted to enter that contest for the tiara though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I love me a good historical fiction as well! I have read a book similar to this for proofreading, by someone who hasn't been able to publish yet and I loved it, so I think I might try this one too! I love the ideas of balls and princess and court gossip. Awesome review ^^

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/10/burning-bright-by-sophie-mckenzie.html

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)