Review ~ Famous In Love by Rebecca Serle

Series: Famous in Love #1
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length:  422 Pages
Publication Date: October 28th, 2014
Publisher: Poppy
Source: ARC via Bloggerhood
Goodreads
When Paige Townsen gets plucked from high school obscurity to star in the movie adaptation of a blockbuster book series, her life changes practically overnight. Within a month, Paige has traded the quiet streets of her hometown for a bustling film set on the shores of Maui, and she is spending quality time with her costar Rainer Devon, one of People's Sexiest Men Alive. But when troubled star Jordan Wilder lands the role of the other point in the movie's famous love triangle, Paige's crazy new life begins to resemble her character's.

In this exciting tale of romance and drama, both on-and offscreen, Paige must adjust to a crazy new life without the daily support of her friends and family, while figuring out who she is--and who she wants--as the whole world watches.

I'm a sucker for Hollywood movies. I love the glitz and the glam. I love showbiz. I love the cameras and the set up and the prep and the filming. I love it all! I got so into this book that I made popcorn (on multiple occasions) so it seemed like I was watching them film the movie as I read it. Yikes did I really just admit that?

The writing was simplistic and clear. The writing and plot lacked a complexity that I would have liked, but then again this is just a purely entertaining, fluffy contemporary. The story is just so addictive! It's not deep and powerful, it's just fun. Setting-wise this book gets an A+. Thank you for catapulting me back to Hawaii, Mrs. Serle! I love that place, and Serle did an amazing job of describing it. I felt like I was there again!

You won't find deep characters in this book. They're not too well developed, but they are likable for the most part. The only character I really had a problem with was our main girl, Paige. She was so indecisive throughout this book. She was so weak at times I just wanted to shake her... I just... Saying she annoyed me would be an understatement. She's insecure and jealous at random intervals, and her pesky problems were killing my reading buzz! Her naïveté had me cringing throughout the book. Then again she goes through a whole new experience so her blunders are a bit more acceptable. Rainer was such a bright character who made this book much more interesting and exciting. He's the charismatic heart-throb. And then there's the mysterious Jordan who we yearn to learn more about. Both great guys, equally developed. Yup you guessed it, a love triangle!! Although Paige chooses...

The romance was cute, if a bit confusing. You never know with these celebrities if they're just acting for the cameras or if something's genuine! The love triangle is interesting and since there's no real plot or problem, the love triangle is a good attempt to distract us readers. I didn't mind it since there's really no other pressing matters to attend to in this book.

I felt that Serle tried to make the ending symbolic and sacrificial. It just didn't really make sense. This book could have easily been a stand alone but alas, this shall drag on. I love the pop culture aspect of Famous in Love and the movie theme, so I'll probably read the subsequent books.

If you're in the mood for a fun, light read then kick back and read this little gem! If you're looking for a thought-provoking book with rich writing and a wonderful storyline, then you might want to skip this and come back later.

10 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you wrote, especially about the ending! I loved everything about this book except for that ending - it totally ruined it for me and caused me to knock a star off of the rating. -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEED THIS! You know what a sucker I am for books about acting and/or film, and this one sounds right up my alley. It's a shame that the characters here are a bit on the mediocre side, but it sounds like a fun and entertaining read regardless of that. :) Thanks for sharing, and, as always, fabulous review Rachel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the page count of this is epic for a contemporary. Anywho, great, honest review. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a fluff contemporary, that isn't mind-blowing, but it's just plain 'ol fun. You wouldn't think from this cover, that it takes place in Hawaii, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, the romance does seem very iffy to me but hey, I love Hollywood/celebrity books too because sometimes I just need that dose of drama, so I'll keep this one under my radar!

    Fantastic review, Rachel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! That's what I love about books including Hollywood though and a type of behind the scenes, it is like watching a film, you get what you expect from it. May not be deep or go into the characters as such, but it's just so much fun, even if it's not (and probably isn't) perfect. It's what I love about them, so glad in that way it did deliver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I was going to pass on this book completely, but now, I am adding it to my TBR when I just need one of those fluffy reads without being irritated (I find that those are VERY hard to come by). This book just sounds fun. Though I have to agree, I wish it were a standalone. When I want fun and fluff, I only want it for a finite amount of time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone just sent me this and I'm excited but apprehensive, I've read a lot of mixed reviews but I enjoyed yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol I love that you craved popcorn while reading this! There's nothing wrong with the occasional fluff. Too bad the main character wasn't better, really ruins the book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I haven't read this book yet, but I've been hearing mixed reviews! Thanks for stopping by Addicted Readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that cover, and I wasn't so sure that I wanted to read this one, but I think I might. I like a nice and fluffy read, especially in the summer, so I might pick it up for a weekend away at camp.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)