2014 End of Year Book Survey

Thanks to the amazing Jamie from the Perpetual Page-Turner for creating this survey!

reading-stats-2014

Number Of Books You Read: 75
Number of Re-Reads: 15
Genre You Read The Most From: Paranormal (surprises me!)


best-YA-books-2014

1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
Fantasy: Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas
Paranormal: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Contemporary: Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot
Dystopian: The Book of Ivy by Amy Engels

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? 
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - I was expecting something amazing, I got a boring, overused plot with annoying, self-righteous characters. Bleh.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?  
Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot - BEST CONTEMPORARY EVER. Like whoa. 

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014? 

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson and Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas - I'm known for my book-pushing ways. What can I say? ;) 
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014? PICTURE
The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski; Cress by Marissa Meyer; Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi


I was honestly very surprised by how much I loved all of these.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Cynthia Hand - She created Tucker Avery. She is amazing.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? 
The Distance Between Us by Kasie West - She made me into a contemporary junkie!

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? 
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare - Action from cover to cover. What more could I ask for? 

9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Of Poseidon by Anna Banks - It was so cute, and I want to read this one again soon!! 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
The Ring and The Crown by Melissa de la Cruz

11. Most memorable character of 2014? 
Sam Cortland of The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J Maas - *cries* 

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot - The writing was so beautiful, I basically highlighted the whole eARC

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014? 
Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley - It was so empowering, go women!! 

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?  
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - Seriously so epic and amazing. What the HECK was I thinking?! 

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014? 
“She was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one.”  
- Heir of Fire 
HECK YES SHE'S GONNA DEFEAT THE EVIL KING AND FREE DORIAN AND BE WITH CHAOL AND TAKE BACK HER THRONE. Gosh I love this series so much. 
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014? 
The Guard by Kiera Cass (64 pages); City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare (725 pages)

17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Evertrue by Brodi Ashton - I was shocked by how bad it turned out. Some crazy stuff happened, and I was not okay with any of it. 

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
CHAOLAENA from Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas - They are endgame, anyone who says otherwise is delusional.


19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Gansey, Adam, & Ronan from The Raven Boys 

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
The Book of Ivy by Amy Engels



22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014? 
Tucker Avery from Unearthly

23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas - Without a doubt

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The Distance Between Us by Kasie West - My sister even mentioned it, she said "Oh wow, you're usually crying when you read and it gets annoying. You should read more of these books that make you so smiley." True story. 


26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014? 
The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J Maas - SAM. Darn you, Sarah J Maas. I still haven't recovered. And now the screen is getting blurry.


27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? 
Queen of Someday by Sherry D. Ficklin - This historical fiction is such a gem, read it people!! 

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? 
Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout - I had to say goodbye to my beloved characters ;( 

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley - Military? Yup that's out there.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo - HATED THE ENDING

book-blogging
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014? 
This was my first year of blogging so ALL of the blogs I read and comment on are my favorites :) 
The first blog I read and loved though would have to be The Book Belles! Also my very first blog friend, who has a lovely blog: Fictionally Obsessed <3

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014? 

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Meeting Sarah J Maas and awesome bloggers (Jamie @ Perpetual Page Turner, Kim @ Midnight Garden, and Brittany @ Please Feed The Bookworm) at the Heir of Fire book event

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
-Becoming Dana from Dana Square's co-blogger,  I've gained an AMAZING friend <33 
-Whenever I see my blog name on someone's blog roll <33

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
25 Days of Book Boyfriends ~ Chaol Westfall - 60 comments & 2,948 views 

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
-Wikia.com which has character profiles and summaries and tons of good stuff 
-Tumblr and their fan art!! 

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I surpassed my Goodreads goal of 60 books, I read 75 :) I'm immersing myself in 2015 reading challenges, 8 of them I think... 

looking-ahead-books-2015

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015? PICTURE
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)? 
Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare & Throne of Glass #4 

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?  PICTURE
Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein, City of Savages by Lee Kelly, Under A Painted Sky by Stacey Lee, The Night We Said Yes by Lauren Gibaldi

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015? PICTURE
The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead & Winter by Marissa Meyer

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Organize, Plan, and Schedule far in advance!! 

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone?
RED QUEEN BY VICTORIA AVEYARD. <--- READ IT, PEOPLE
Share some of your responses or link to your survey answers! 

28 comments:

  1. I will read Throne of Glass soon, I swear! Pretty much every wrap up I've read has mentioned how good it is. And the Raven Boys, I need to read (and fall in love with) them as soon as possible. I'm upset you didn't like We Were Liars, I'm really looking forward to that. I can't wait for the Ruby Circle!!! It better be good, or I'll be mad

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH THANK GOD THERE IS ACTUALLY ANOTHER PERSON OUT THERE THAT DIDN'T LIKE WE WERE LIARS!! *hugs you tightly* Oooooh and I desperately need to get my greasy little fingers on Snow Like Ashes, The Ring and the Crown!

    OMG, OMG, OMG, OMGGGGGGG, THAT PICTURE OF CHAOLAENA JUST MAKES ME WANT TO CRY STARDUST AND RAINBOWS. I swear if Choal and Celaena don't make up, I will burst a blood vessel. I WILL, I SWEAR.

    Lovely post, girlie, here's mine :))): http://onceuponabookishtime.blogspot.co.nz/2014/12/2014-end-of-year-book-survey-in-which.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your answers!! So happy to see you enjoyed Kasie West. She's a very favorite of mine. I totally agree, Rights of Passage was VERY empowering and made me feel like a bum for sitting on the couch reading. LOL I love this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely answers!
    I'm so glad you enjoyed The Raven Boys, it's definitely one of the best paranormal books out there. I can't wait to finally read Even in Paradise, I heard so many great things about it. Cynthia Hand is awesome! She didn't only create Tucker but she made me enjoy a love triangle which has never happened before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice survey! I enjoyed reading your answers.

    I'm hoping to start the Throne of Glass series in 2015. Everybody raves about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with your thoughts on We Were Liars. I thought it was trying to hard to be poetic and mysterious. I thought it was okay and read it quickly, but I saw the twist coming from a mile off. I'm in a similar position with The Distance Between Us, too. It made me think that contemporary isn't all bad. Great post, you read some amazing books in 2014. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks freaking goodness you are a Tucker fan! I love him!
    Team Chaol too! And so happy to See Even in Paradise on here. I liked that one too, such pretty writing. And Rites of Passage was awesome. I wanted blast spice girls after reading that :)
    I adore Kasie West so freaking much! We Were Liars was so freaking boring, I listened to 3 hours of the audio and had no clue what was going on, and I didn't care, DNF.
    Glad I found this blog, I need to do a better job at following blogs of people I already follow on GR, Twitter, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading these surveys! I've been wanting to read Even in Paradise! I love books that make me smiley! I'm bummed you didn't like We Were Liars, since I've been dying to read it with all the hype surrounding it. I hope you reach your goal of getting organized- that's a goal I should probably have, too because I'm a mess haha! Great answers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOF and The raven boys were so good! I'm in love with both stories and their characters. I'm not a big contemporary reader, but Kasie West has magic :D Oh yes, Evertrue shocked me too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many books on your list that I haven't read yet but are on my tbr. I want so badly to read Snow Like Ashes, The Raven boys and Heir of Fire. I can't wait to see what you think of Open Road Summer, I absolutely love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my god, oh my god! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? I have to get into The Raven Boys series pronto!! Did you see those guys?? Plus I think one of them is gay?? WOOT WOOT! LGBT! So yeah, have to read them. Also, uuuuugh, didn't like We Were Liars at all either. I would burn that book anytime ;D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I DO REALLY WANT TO READ RED QUEEN. I'm going to have to somehow get it at the library before everyone else does, or just buy it when it comes out. Anyways, I STILL NEED TO READ THRONE OF GLASS because that ship sounds beautiful. And YES TO THE RAVEN BOYS!

    I'm glad you're putting first priority to The Falconer. I hope you really enjoy it!

    Anyways, HERE'S TO 2015!!!! I'm glad your 2014 was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So you like Even in Paradise? I got it when it released so I think I should start it now.
    Opposition was soul crushing. I don't think I could ever thank Natalya enough for forcing that series on me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH MY GOSH I AGREE WITH LIKE THE MAJORITY OF THIS YES. YES. YESSSSSSSSSSSS.
    Even in Paradise was so good wasn't it. WASN'T IT. Yes. Yes it was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should seriously read The Raven Boys. I've heard so many great things about it. It's going to be one of my top priorities in 2015. Glad to see you enjoyed Queen of Someday. Cynthia hand is amazeballs BUT for me its because she created Christian the amazing. How I love him. (We have quite the different taste in boys, Rachel..) Great post, anyway! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, SO much that I agree with on here! First, YES to the overratedness of We Were Liars! I knew the "twist" from like, 1/3 of the way in, and I was kind of bored in general! LOVE Rites of Passage and The Book of Ivy. I MUST read The Kiss of Deception, Throne of Glass, and Even in Paradise. I promise, they'll be high priority in 2015! I want to read Red Queen now so badly too, and ALL of the other books you are anticipating are VERY high on my wishlist. I want City of Savages SO badly. For some reason it is super expensive though. And I cannot wait to start The Night We Said Yes! And great job on your Goodreads challenge!! Hoping 2015 is just as wonderful for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. CHAOLAENA FOREVER I SAY. I'm loving how many bloggers have answered the "series you pushed people to read the most" question with Throne of Glass. xD ME TOO. Everyone must read that! HUZZAH! I'm about to read Red Queen too, so glad you loved it. ;-) I'm just finishing off Queen of the Tearling now...which is slow but awesome. Loads of queens in my tbr, apparently.
    OMG I WANT THRONE OF GLAS #4 SO SO SOOOO BADLY.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG YES RED QUEEN! I HEART THAT BOOK SO MUCH AND I JUST FINISHED IT YESTERDAY. And ohmigosh yes Even In Paradise was such a surprisingly fantastic read--the writing was so booootiful!

    Happy New Year, Rach! <33

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so fun reading, Rachel! Congrats to your accomplishments this year! Hoping for the more to come in 2015! <3

    I seriously need to continue Throne of Glass series. I already have CoM so no oneeeee can stop me!! CHAOLAENA <33 I bought The Dream Thieves before but I couldn't find The Raven Boys (why so cruel, world?). I heard so many good things about The Raven Boys series and I am so excited to read it! More books to add on my TBR!

    Happy New Year! <3

    PS: Kasie West can never go wrong when it comes to her contemporary >u<

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! I love posts like these :) The Raven Boys series is a priority read for me in 2015. I NEED to get on that ASAP, especially considering how much I LOVE bromances...

    The Winner's Curse!!! <333 Love that book.

    2014 was a great year for you in books! Here's to another great 2015 ::raises glass::

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard so many amazing things about Snow Like Ashes, the series that comes with Heir of Fire and the series that comes with The Raven Boys, so I think now is a year to start reading those books. Aw, too bad you didn't like We Were Liars. I loved that book because any book with a truly unpredictable ending usually steals my heart. Oh, and I also loved Cress.

    It's so cool that you got to meet other bloggers. It would be awesome if I could do that. Also, it is really awesome to see my blog on someone else's blogroll. :)

    I need to start scheduling further in advance too, but that's easier said than done, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  22. YAY, I'm so glad you loved The Raven Boys and Heir of Fire, they were both truly fantastic reads! Too bad about We were Liars though, I know it was hit and miss with a lot of people. I'm so glad you LOVED Cress and The Winner's Curse as well, they are both on my top 2014 lists as well! Oh Sam in Assassin's Blade, definitely crying all the tears.

    YESSS I SHIP CHAOLENA AS WELL but after HoF I just don't know because there are so many awesome ships!

    Oh my gosh I can't believe you got to go to a Heir of Fire book event, that would have been absolutely amazing! Meeting other bloggers is the most amazing thing.

    Happy New Year Rachel and I hope 2015 gives you all the dreams you wish for! Good luck with your blogging goals!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heir of Fire and The Raven Boys, heck yes! LOVED Rites of Passage and I'm excited to know that about Even in Paradise, now I really want to read it! I'm also thinking Chaolaena will be endgame, and I ship them. But like Jeann said, HoF kind of mixed things up so we shall see. I definitely need to get to The Winner's Curse soon too! Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Why am I not surprised to see a ton of Cassie Clare & Sarah J. Maas here? ;) Haha! Anyhow, Sam is definitely worthy of the most memorable character award. *cries* And I too was pleasantly surprised by how wonderful Snow Like Ashes was! Such an awesome fantasy novel, and the sequel looks equally as promising.

    CHAOLENA FOREVER! ♥♥♥

    Thanks for sharing Rachel, and here's to a great 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am feeling worried about Chaolaena but there are plenty of books left to sort that out. Right? Please??
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  26. 75 is a good number! I really need to read The Raven Boys, Kiss of Deception and Heir of Fire as well. I am so late onto some of those bandwagons... City of Heavenly Fire was such a good ending to the series, and I am happy for that!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahhh I loved reading this! The Raven Cycle was one of my favorite series reads last year - I can't believe I waited so long to read it! Ditto with The Distance Between Us (KW can do no wrong). Love Into the Still Blue, Cress, and Winner's Curse as well! And I need to catch up on The Falconer!

    ReplyDelete
  28. THRONE OF GLASS WILL WIN FOREVER AND EVER. Just damn. And loved rites of Passage too, especially because of all the girl power! Such a strong and good message. I read The Distance Between Us in November and holy crap I loved it. I'd read On the Fence months before that and loved it just as much. I read The Raven Boys when it first came out and eek, see! So. Good. I'm waiting to read the series when it's finished though. I can't believe I waited until 2014 to read Throne of Glass and Anna and the French Kiss (HOLY CRAP TO ALL)

    Ha, Chaolaena are my OTP too. ;) AND THEY HAVE TO BE OR I WILL CRY. And if they don't (I shouldn't say that) but I'll just be lalalalala it never happened.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)