Mini Review ~ The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

Series: N/A
Genre: YA Contemporary 
Page Length:  312 Pages
Publication Date: July 2nd, 2013
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Finished copy via library
Goodreads

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.


She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

I had to overcome my fear of contemporaries, and I thought The Distance Between Us would be a great start! I ended up absolutely loving this book. Many thanks to the amazing Montana from The Book Belles who recommended this book to me!!

What made this book so great was the characters. They were all so descriptive and interesting and fun. I could relate to them, I respected them, I admired them. Even the secondary characters were enjoyable and had levels of depth.

The plot was simple yet sweet and cute at the same time. The writing was sincere and lovely. I ate this book up! I didn't want it to end. The pacing was great, never a down moment.

The romance was adorable. I can't count the number of times a grin spread across my face while reading this book. The Distance Between Us focuses on the romance, and it's done so well. I love how Xander and Caymen's relationship grows and develops. Perfectly timed, perfectly executed.

If you're in the mood for a cute read that will leave you in a happy-high then I highly recommend this for you!

29 comments:

  1. This is what everyone loves about Kasie West - how her books and characters have that amazing, adorable, cute charm to them that seem to only work BECAUSE it's Kasie West. I'm glad that you were able to love this one so much, Rachel! :) Aimee loved this one a while back, too. Have you read her other Contemp Romance book yet? I forgot the name, but it had the same cover ish, with two people with their heads cut too (lol, I have noticed this pattern in her YA Romance books). It's apparently just as good!!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    (Sorry, my original comment had something else pasted to it o_O Deleted it and edited it <3 SO SORRY!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good! I'll have to add it to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard so many good things about this novel. I need to pick it up next time I am in mood for YA contemporary :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read On The Fence by Kasie West,and like this book - The Distance Between Us - it was really cute,sweet story :)
    Looking forward to read this book,I'm sure I'll like the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes this book was so freaking adorable! I admit it wasn't my favourite Kasie West book, but it still left me with a huge grin on my face :D

    Nice review, Rachel! <33

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeep. Absolutely adored this book. I couldn't put it down.Goooosh Caymen! I would sell my soul for another book with these twooooo! :'D I'm glad you also liked this, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my first Kasie West book and I read it as a buddy read with Kristen, and I really enjoyed the characters and the build up of the relationship, but I wasn't as keen on the way the book ended, extra added family drama I didn't expect!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like the perfect read for this time of year. I just finished On the Fence and while I didn't love it as much as many others it was so easily readable and sigh worthy! A lot of readers also told me this one was the best of her books so I def need to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I't's been a while since I've read a contemporary ya, I might read this after I finish this manga series I'm reading! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my god, yay, finally, Rachel! I'm so glad you started with this book. I feel like this is the best option you could have gone for. It truly was adorable.

    Psst, Kasie West's other contemporaries are adorable too. *shoves recommendations in your face* I'm watching you, Rachel. I'm watching you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked this one a lot! It was my fourth (of four) Kasie West novels, and I'm thrilled that it was so wonderful, especially after the other three. On the Fence was probably my favorite :D Excellent review, Rachel!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree that her contemps are super cute, but I like her paranormal duology even better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YESSSS. So glad you thoroughly enjoyed this one, Rachel! I did, too. :) I loved reading your thoughts on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Kasie West! Have you tried Pivot Point and Split Second? Also really good. I read this in a day, re-read it right away and just heard it on audio a few weeks ago. I love me some Xander :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww this sounds like a really cute read, I loved the Kasie West book I read and glad to hear the rest is just as good! Great review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to read this!! I've heard a ton of great things about Kasie West's books! Great review Rachel! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know about you Rachel, but to me this just screams BEACH READ! in all caps. ;) I love a cute and fluffy romance once in a while, so I'll definitely have to keep this in mind for when I'm in the mood for that sort of thing. (I'll probably need it soon, since right now I'm reading Les Miserables, which is pretty much 1000+ pages of describing poverty during the French Revolution - LOL!) Thanks for sharing, and great review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not a huge fan of contemporaries either, but I've heard Kasie West kills the genre! I have yet to read one of her books before but now I'm looking forward to picking it up when I'm heading to the beach this summer. So glad you enjoyed it and it abated your fear for contemps haha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like such a cute read<3 Thanks for sharing & amazing review :)

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked this book a lot it was just right for my mood

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! I'm glad you loved it :) It's my favorite Kasie West book and it was an awful lot of cute, wasn't it? ;) I agree! The characters are endearing and fun, the writing is sweet and cute and the pacing is good. Ha! I loved Caymen and Xander's relationship too :P I'm glad you loved it and I hope you will enjoy more of Kasie's books!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you enjoyed this because I thought it was pretty cute and I grinned a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so happy you enjoyed this! Kasie West's books are always great when you're looking for a cute read. Wait until you read On The Fence ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. AH! Rachel, if you knew how long this book has been on my TBR.... well, it's just sad. This was a hugely anticipated book for me and I STILL haven't gotten around to it! SIGH. Now I want to more than ever! I'm so glad you took the contemporary plunge and enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad you enjoyed The Distance Between Us! I've had this on my TBR pile for the longest time - I love adorable, cute contemporaries, but there's so many books and so little time... *sobs* Anyhow, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I've been wanting to read it! I think it's always important to have amazing characters in contemporaries, since they practically drive the plot most of the time. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this book a lot ! This was my first Kasie West book,and I immediately became her fan after reading this.
    I think the best part of the book for me was Caymen.She's such an amazing character with her sarcasm,cynicism and dry humor.I love characters like her!

    Mishma @ Chasing Faerytales

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been wanting to read this one, but I was kind of scared that I wouldn't like it. I think I'll have to check it out now after reading your review, especially since you said that you don't really read contemporaries but still enjoyed it. I was like that last year, and then I started getting into them.

    Erin @ The Hardcover Lover

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just feel like you can't go wrong with Kasie West. I love all her books. I love contemporary though. But I love that even though you're not big into contemporary you love it.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)