ARC Review ~ I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

Series: N/A
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length:  400 Pages
Publication Date: February 3rd, 2015
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Source: eARC via Netgalley. Thanks Macmillan!
Goodreads

If seventeen-year-old Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing standing between straightedge Skylar and art school are three minimum-wage months of summer. Skylar can taste the freedom—that is, until her mother loses her job and everything starts coming apart. Torn between her dreams and the people she loves, Skylar realizes everything she’s ever worked for is on the line.

Nineteen-year-old Josh Mitchell had a different ticket out of Creek View: the Marines. But after his leg is blown off in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be. What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s dusty Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and soon, something deeper.
Why do I judge books before I read them? It kills me that I do this. I need to stop. Starting this book was done begrudgingly as it's a contemporary with a somewhat "rough" aspect to it. I thought this book would be dreadfully sad and in your face about the tragic stuff. I was woefully mistaken. This book was absolutely amazing, had a spectacular romance, a great message, and is a definite new favorite of mine.

Skylar and Josh were two amazing characters. Skylar was so brave, responsible, funny, determined, and just full-on wonderful. I wanted to hug Josh so many times in this book. He was so broken from the war and his accident, yet he managed to stay positive and happy. He's genuinely a good guy, and I loved how caring and thoughtful he was. They truly helped each other grow into stronger people. The other characters were funny and just as memorable. All of their stories and the characters themselves were fleshed-out and relatable. The romance was beautiful. It developed oh so slowly, it was a snowball effect. Their banter had me grinning from ear to ear. I devoured this book. I needed to see them finally become a couple. It was all done in such good timing and in such a sweet and genuine fashion. I swooned countless times, I teared up, I "awwwed." I don't know who wanted them to get together more, me or them... I SHIPPED THEM SO HARD.

The message that Heather sends is genuinely so heartfelt. She shared what military life is like to us readers who don't know much about it. She brought awareness to the shocking truth as to how these brave people who fight for our country come back with PTSD and nightmares and physical and mental wounds. She made us think a little harder about things that normally don't cross our minds. The writing was so pretty as well. I was constantly happily surprised by the vivid imagery and the beautiful sentences and words she strung together. I'm glad to add Heather to my list of favorite authors.

This book was just so well done. This needs to be on your to-read and to-buy lists. Truly spectacular. I could read it again. And again.


22 comments:

  1. Oh man I want to swoon too! The romance sounds exactly like the kind I love! Thanks for the review~ I can't wait until this one comes out :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed this one. I have heard so many great things about it. I am excited for its release!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Rachel! Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. Everyone seems to love it, cannot wait to read it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather Demetrios is seriously a queen! I would love to meet her one of these days and just talk to her because she seems like such a wonderful person and she ALWAYS has such strong messages with her books. I loved this one so much. It was heart-aching but so so good. And yes, the SHIP! I loved those two babies so much. I thought they deserved each other.
    It was really hard to read at times and that's what makes this such a wonderful book. She really captured the military life and PTSD so well!
    Gaah! Rachel, you're making me want to go re-read this asap!!
    Gorgeous review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Rachel! This is definitely a book I don't want to miss and so I'll be on the lookout. The characters and the romance and everything just sounds pitch perfect. I want!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely review, Rachel! This book is EVERYTHING to me. Omg I love it so much. I just want to push it on everyone. :P Glad you feel the same! You can tell writing this meant so much to Heather - the emotions pour out of the pages. I need this woman's next book like I need air!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard such great things about this book, so I'm really happy to hear that you loved this one Rachel!
    My only concern would be that it'd make me too emotional!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm excited for this one and your review makes me that more excited! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost didn't read this either! I was like "meh, another contemporary, PASS". But then something made me click the little "read now" button (I got lucky, one of those "first 500 readers" on Netgalley things!) and I am SO glad I did, because this book is definitely a favorite of mine! I agree with absolutely everything in your review. Josh and Sky, I adore them. And the message was so perfect and done so, so well. Great review, I am so glad you loved this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH GOODNESS YOU DON'T KNOW HOW EXCITED I AM FOR THIS BOOK. I had requested it on Netgalleyand got denied, so I need to wait. But I'm so bad at waiting when it seems like such an amazing book. I want to ship them as much as you did, hahaha. Great review , lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds amazing, Rachel! I had no idea what this book was about but I've seen the cover around. I definitely want to read it now! Excellent review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard great things about this but I may avoid it, seeing as Jess cannot do contemporaries. BUT HEY! YOU LOVED IT! And that romance sounds so sweet! Beautiful review, love! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know how much I love Something Real Rachel, so I was already excited for this one before I saw your review and your tweet, but goodness! I'm not sure if it's even possible, but I'm even more excited for it after reading this! It sounds like such a sad but heartwarming tale at the same time, and I can't wait to witness Skylar and Josh's incredible romance and banter for myself. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad that you ended up loving this one Rachel, it certainly surprised me in several ways too. I loved the characters that Demetrios created, by the last page I really didn't want to let go. I so going to binge read more of Demetrios books straight away! Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wheeee, yet another positive review! I admit, I regret turning this one down for review when I had the chance. I'm not a contemporary fan but I loved Demetrios's Exquisite Captive. I may give this book a shot! :D

    Excellent review, Rachel!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm seeing such amazing things about this book! I'm glad I already have it preordered cause I'm pretty sure I'll love it :)

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well developed characters and a heartwarming message is what makes a fantastic YA in my opinion :) Lovely review Rachel, I can't wait to read this one soon!

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES. I NEED THIS BOOK. I loved Something Real, so I'm so glad to be reading really positive reviews of this one...fantastic review, Rachel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww I just love the sound of Skylar and Josh, they sound like two broken characters who find a common soul in each other. I'm glad it also includes details about military PTSD, it's not something we hear about a lot but it's definitely a prevalent part of life. Great review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really want to read this book!! *-* It'll be my first by Heather Demetrios!

    Ps. I have a blog as well, if you want to stop by I'd appreciate it so much! It's both in Italian and in English :3 -> http://frannieinthepages.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been going back and forth about reading this one for a while now. My library has a copy and I keep putting it on hold, taking it off and then starting over again. I like contemporaries, but I am incredibly picky about them. The Sky is Everywhere was my first one, and it is the one I go off of. Since you were concerned about this one, and ended up loving it, I might actually put it on hold long enough to actually go get it!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)