ARC Review ~ Save Me by Jenny Elliot

Series: N/A
Genre: YA Paranormal
Page Length:  336 Pages
Publication Date: January 6th, 2015
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Source: ARC via publisher; thanks Macmillan! 
Goodreads

Something strange is going on in the tiny coastal town of Liberty, Oregon. Cara has never seen a whale swim close enough for her to touch it—let alone knock her into the freezing water. Fortunately, cute newcomer David is there to save her, and the rescue leads to a bond deeper than Cara ever imagined.

But then she learns something about David that changes everything, and Cara is devastated. She turns to her best friend for support, but Rachel has changed. She’s suddenly into witchcraft, and is becoming dangerously obsessed with her new boyfriend….

Cara has lost her best friend, discovered that her soul mate is off limits, and has attracted the attention of a stalker. But she’s not completely alone. Her mysterious, gorgeous new friend Garren is there to support her. But is Garren possibly too perfect?

It's been a while since I've read a paranormal book, and I hoped Save Me would be the book to bring me out of my paranormal slump. Filled with clichés, fair writing, and flat characters, Save Me didn't do that yet brought an entertaining read that I somewhat enjoyed. 

This book has a bit of everything: witchcraft, angels, demons, whales (yes whales), forbidden romance, it's busy! I thought the author did a good job of weaving in these various elements in a way that wasn't too cluttered. The writing was fair, a bit choppy in places but overall not bad. The descriptive nature was present, varied sentences, descriptive words, the works! I thought for a debut this writing was quite good. This book is riddled with clichés which can be taken as either fun and entertaining or pesky and overused. I side with the former.

The characters were a bit flat to me. I sympathized for them, Cara in particular, yet I couldn't connect with them. I appreciated their uniqueness, they weren't stereotypical in the least, yet they didn't have much personality. Although this book appears to have a love triangle, it doesn't. I really liked David and Cara's romance, it was cute! 

What I really was yearning for in this book was information. I wanted to know more about the demonic possessions, I wanted to learn more about the witchcraft. Filling in readers with more "Whys" and explanations could have really helped along this book and bring a more fleshed-out story. I wanted more time with those whales!! I thought they would be more crucial to the story. The whales were one of my favorite parts of the book after all... 

I felt the ending was resolved a bit too quickly, some things are a bit unclear and rushed and just didn't make sense. The ending brings the story to a satisfying end though so there's that. Overall I enjoyed this book, yet saw quite a few flaws that were hard to overlook. 

18 comments:

  1. The cover looks beautiful!It's been a long time since I read a typical paranormal book too.Guess I've been attracted to more intense and complicated books lately.
    This book sounds interesting and predictable.But it also sounds like a quick and enjoyable read.

    Mishma @ Chasing Faerytales

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's now that I realized I haven't read something paranormal in quite a long time. I'm not really sure if I'm going to like this one, but it's good to know that it wasn't cluttered despite all the different elements. I think I will check it out when I'm in the need of a quick but fun read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I'm not very much into the more "traditional" paranormal books with witches and demons but when you said "whales" I became a lil more interested! Glad to hear it was entertaining enough, but the lack of more information would probably annoy me...

    Great review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that you weren't able to enjoy this story more Rachel, I have the toughest time when it comes to picking up paranormal reads too, but I can see why this book did appeal to you. Thank you for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that this one is at least entertaining! I love the sound of this imprint, and I was planning to read almost all of the books they put out :) The romance sounds nice, although it's too bad there's so many cliches. I'm very curious about these whales now, too... Amazing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool cover, but a great cover does not a great book make. I've already read similar reviews of this book, and I've gotten the impression that it's kind of mediocre. Nobody seems to be that wowed by it.

    Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeek! I kind of wanted to read it because the cover looked pretty but it doesn't really sound like it's for me. I think I'm going to pass on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really digging the cover. When I first saw this I found the story pretty interesting although I'm not into witch-demons-etc books. It sucks that the characters were a bit flat and that you didn't connect with them. and the rushed ending? definitely disappointing. Thanks for the honest review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay…I hate that I have to type another comment once again…Blogger deleted my super long comment UGH!

    (Typing again) I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm no longer interested with witchcraft because they were my childhood choices and looking back I didn't have a great taste. HAHA I'd rather stick with high fantasy more often nowadays HAHA But I'm still glad you liked it enough even with the choppy writing. :)

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though this book sounds like it has a lot of clichés and common things in there, you still managed to enjoy it somewhat which makes it sounds like a reasonable read. I don't think I will check this one out for myself, but great review nonetheless!

    Check out my post and giveaway: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2015/01/weaving-setting-into-your-story-guest.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not really sure this is the book for me. Paranormal books rarely hold my attention these days. I do love that cover though. It's a shame that this has a lot of cliches. That would bother me a lot.
    Great review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy to hear this doesn't have a love triangle! But flat characters and poor world building are a deal breaker for me. Glad you found something to enjoy about this, but I'll probably be skipping it. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww I can't stand flat characters. I'm really picky about books when it comes to characters! I love new review graphic you made Rach!

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hated this book so much. :( I think my expectations were too high. The writing was just so choppy and I didn't care about what was happening at all. I couldn't even tell you what happened in the second half I was trying to get through it so fast haha. I'm glad you didn't find it completely terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I keep wanting to say sometimes what you said ''for a debut this writing was good'' but then think of Veronica Roth and J.K. Rowling, Marie Lu, Marissa Meyer ahah and am like: is that true indeed? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whales uhm, okay, haha. Good it has bit of everything, but then again, because it had so much that it's not fleshed out as much as it could've been. That wouldn't bother me too much though, but the flat characters would, I'm all about the characters so wouldn't have been able to get into it. :( Sounded so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the cover for this one and it was one that sounded quite good, but I know the flat characters would bother me far too much. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a copy of this one, and I have been very hesitant to read it. It sounds good, but I have heard some not good things about it. Your review makes me think it might be worth it, at least a tiny tiny bit!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)