ARC Review ~ Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Series: Red Queen #1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Page Length:  400 Pages
Publication Date: February 10th, 2014
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: ARC via publisher
Goodreads

Graceling meets The Selection in debut novelist Victoria Aveyard's sweeping tale of seventeen-year-old Mare, a common girl whose once-latent magical power draws her into the dangerous intrigue of the king's palace. Will her power save her or condemn her?

Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood--those with common, Red blood serve the Silver- blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities. Mare is a Red, scraping by as a thief in a poor, rural village, until a twist of fate throws her in front of the Silver court. Before the king, princes, and all the nobles, she discovers she has an ability of her own.

To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard--a growing Red rebellion--even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction. One wrong move can lead to her death, but in the dangerous game she plays, the only certainty is betrayal.

"Imprisoned in my own skin, red behind a silver curtain that can never be pulled away. If I fall, if I even slip, I will die. And others will die for my failure."

I've been obsessed with any mention of this book since I discovered it whilst on Goodreads. After reading the synopsis I knew this would be a "Rachel" book. The synopsis says "Graceling meets The Selection" psh, heck no. Try Gladiator meets X-Men, a dystopia entwined with high fantasy. This book is going to take the YA crowd by storm. Mark. My. Words. 

Where do I start with this fantastic book? It's addictive. I started this book at around 8 PM one night, and stayed up until 2 AM when I finished. I was so heavily invested in everything that was going on, the writing literally pulls you in. There's an edge to it. There's suspense. Some people claimed it dragged in parts, I felt that a tad bit but overall it was just so enticing. Everything that's happening is just so absorbing, you can't help but get caught up in it. I love books that center around courts and royalty. I like my princes and princesses, okay? 

"This world is Silver, but it is also gray. There is no black-and-white." 

The whole premise and storyline of Red Queen is brilliant. As I said before, it's X-Men meets Gladiator, and it is FIERCE. This book has the perfect blend of action, romance, deception, rebellion, court functions, and more. It's got a bit of everything. The world-building and premise build-up was stellar. This idea is pure brilliance and the execution is flawless. Honestly, I can't find any faults. 

I was wildly impressed by the characters. I felt like I knew them and their personalities so well. They each had their great attributes and flaws, they were so descriptive. I really liked the main character, Mare. She's a bit snarky, smart, and awesome. She makes mistakes, a lot of them, and although she has her low moments, she manages to come back up fighting again. My opinion of Cal varied so much in this book. I admired his loyalty and tenacity, yet I feared his blindsidedness sometimes. Maven was such a great guy, I loved him. There's some romance in this book and although it appears to be a love triangle, it's really not. Have no fear! I loved how the romance was coupled with the plot, it wasn't a separate entity, it was infused with with premise. Oh and there's a bit of a Darkling in this book. Yes. 

There are so many "Oh shit" moments I can't even count them. Aveyard knows how to pull the rug out from under us. I didn't predict anything that would eventually happen. The ending was absolutely epic. Never have I seen anything make a turn for the worse so quickly. There's a panicked frenzy in the end that keeps readers on the edge of their seats. The shocking revelations and the twists and turns and the action, oh my! What an epic ending to an epic book.

I recommend this book to everyone!! You won't regret reading it.  



18 comments:

  1. THIS BOOKS COMES OUT TODAY!!! OMG OMGOMG. Runs to the bookstore. [Returns home in defeat because it's midnight. Why am I awake?!?!?!] Gah, I love Gladiator. It's my favorite movie... Ugh, I love epic endings. Perfect review, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I can't believe this book comes out today. I have been hearing about it for so long. I need it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many different things about this book now, and I still haven't gotten around to reading it!
    Love your review (:

    - Love, Felicia
    ( http://asillygirlsthoughts.weebly.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been dying to read this one. And once you said there's a bit of a Darkling in it, I think I'm totally dead <3 Great review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely see this being the next big thing. I may not have loved it completely, but it has potential to go bigger than The 5th Wave or even The Winner's Curse. I liked Maven at first, even preferred him to Cal, but ugh that personality change in the end really threw me off guard!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have no idea how jealous I am that you got an ARC! It looks so amazing, I can't wait to get my hands on it :)

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/02/review-fallen-fallen-1-by-lauren-kate.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, what an awesome review! It's made excited to be able to get my hands on this book once my book buying ban is lifted! And I'm glad to hear that the love triangle isn't exactly that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for this book, and I can't believe that it came out today! Time really flew! Mare sounds like such a realistic and relatable character because she makes mistakes but bounces back just like the rest of us. I also love books that dash my predictions to pieces and completely blow my mind with their unexpected endings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HELLA YES, RACHEL!

    I actually don't like high fantasy but I HAD to try this. AND I"M SO GLAD I DID BECAUSE IT BLEW ME AWAY.

    AND OH MY GOD THE ENDING. I read this book back in November or something but HOLY CRAP THAT ENDING STILL MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A TOTAL DUMBASS BECAUSE IT HIT ME LIKE A TRUCK

    ReplyDelete
  10. i loved this book! I am THE HUGEST XMEN fan so i loved seeing all the Silvers powers!! I was so blown away by the end. Ughhhh I cant wait to see what happens next! Great review nugget!
    <3 Britt

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SO EXCITED to start this book!! I have it set aside for my TBR for March :D Great review, hun <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really excited to read this book, I've heard mainly good reviews on it - Let's see how that goes.

    Lovely review <3

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really glad you enjoyed this, Rachel! I loved it so much! The crazy twists were the best part about it and I really liked the characters too!
    I can't wait for the next book! I NEED it!
    Lovely review, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh this sounds good! I have been reading so many mixed things, from love to hate and absolutely everything in between, so I am extra glad that you enjoyed it! I love that you loved the characters, and I must admit, I love a good "oh shit" moment! Yay, you have made me so very excited to read this! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review! This book sounds so freaking good! I want to read it so badly. Also, the cover is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been hearing about this book for so long and I still haven't read it. Reading your review, I think it's awesome. I hope I'd be able to read this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not had the chance to start this one just yet, but it is sitting on my shelf just waiting on me to hurry up! And reading reviews like yours, that just makes me want to say "bleh" to the reading list, and go straight for this one!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)