Review: The Ruby Circle

Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines #6
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy/Paranormal
Page Length:  348 Pages
Publication Date: February 10th, 2015
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: ebook via iBooks
Goodreads

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.

After their secret romance is exposed, Sydney and Adrian find themselves facing the wrath of both the Alchemists and the Moroi in this electrifying conclusion to Richelle Mead’s New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series. When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis. Meanwhile, Adrian becomes enmeshed in a puzzle that could hold the key to a shocking secret about spirit magic, a secret that could shake the entire Moroi world.
I can't believe it's over. *cues sorrowful music* I've been a fan of Richelle Mead's for such a long time. Vampire Academy was such a fun series, and I was glad to find Bloodlines soon after to fill the void left in my heart by the end of VA. What am I to do now though?? Bloodlines is over, and I have nothing left. *cries* *composes self*

I'll keep this as non-spoilery as possible. Bloodlines and Richelle Mead are both things/people that you can rely on to give you an entertaining story. The Ruby Circle did just that. It was full of romance, laughs, action, and more.

Sydrian is the best ship ever. They're the power couple!! Seeing their relationship grow even more, watching their gives and takes, gazing starry-eyed at their absolute love and devotion towards one another, it was all so perfect. The romance in this book was spot-on. It didn't overtake the plot as it had in previous books. It was played just right.

There are so many cameos in this book, I loved seeing old characters come back. I love how Richelle not only brought back characters from earlier Bloodlines books, but she also reintroduced some VA characters into the plot. I missed Rose and Dimitri and Lissa and Christian and the whole gang.

I couldn't help but feel a bit underwhelmed by the plot. I was just expecting a bit more. Things were a bit predictable, but I was still entertained. I wished for more in this plot and final installment in the series. The ending definitely redeemed this book though. Never could I ever have imagined such a perfect ending as what was written. Richelle did a superb job on wrapping up the end of this book.

Overall I enjoyed the final installment of the Bloodlines series although it was a bit underwhelming.

20 comments:

  1. I am scared to read this one - especially since 1 it's the final book and 2, I wasn't a fan of Silver Shadows. That sucks the plot was underwhelming! Glad you enjoyed it overall though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, I loved the VA series but haven't read Bloodlines yet. I. Just. Can't. But I'm sure this series is also amazing because it's Richelle Mead! I don't expect less. :) Nice review as always, Rachel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just give me a moment to compose myself Rach.I am a bit emotional to think that this series is ending
    *go sobs in a corner*
    I am actually quite afraid to take this book up.I don't want this to end,I don't want to realize the fact that there won't be any more books about Sydrian.They are my OTP,my obsession,my life.I've been rooting for them for so long,and it breaks my heart to say goodbye to them.
    On a side note,can't anyone redesign these covers?They're horrible.Why does a series as good as this have such terrible covers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this series but for some reason I didn't love the last two books as much as I did the others. Actually, my problems started with Adrian's POV in the fourth book but it was still a great read. And I do know I might be the only people who isn't fan of his POV but still. I was expecting more from the plot too, plus I missed some of the characters, Angeline for example, and I wanted more Marcus part but hey not everyone can get what they want. And it was still pretty damn impressive that Mead was able to bring back so many characters.
    Awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should check out a series by Alyxandra Harvey! It is very comparable to Richelle Mead but of course there is one Richelle Mead! I'm glad you liked it and I hope to see you around my blog

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read it yet. I don't want it to be over! I was actually pretty late on the VA/Bloodlines train. I binge-read the VA series & the Bloodline series last fall, and just adored the characters. My love for Sydney & Adrian's ship began in VA when Adrian was such a tormented soul--I loved the idea of him getting together with no-nonsense Sydney. The book is significantly thinner than Last Sacrifice, which might be/probably is why it's underwhelming? I went to a book signing and she said the reason for this was her strict deadline to finish the book, and because she was having a child. Why must real life interfere with fictional life?!?! Great review, Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess that when you're so invested on a series, it's not that rare to be a lil underwhelmed about the final book sometimes... but I'm glad that the ending was awesome and you had some time with loved characters again!
    I still need to read VA and start this series though... hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was underwhelmed by the villain in this one. I expected the Alchemist to factor in more. But, I still loved the ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. *cries with you* I don't want to leave this world! I am so sad too! I agree with Nereyda though- I thought the Alchemists would play a greater role in this one... or at least Zoe and her dad? Oh well. I'm still really happy with the ending. I LOVED seeing Rose and Dimitri though. It made me really happy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. *cries buckets* I can't believe it's over! Craziness. I'm gonna miss this ship so much. I agree that the plot for this was underwhelming, but the characters are as always fantastic. Love Eddie, too!
    Richelle has said that she may write novellas in this world in the future, so fingers crossed!
    Great review, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been holding off on reading this because I don't want it to be over!! ): I don't want to say goodbye to Sydney and Adrian yet. Lol. I'm going to prolong my goodbye by rereading the other Bloodlines books first. (: Lovely review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe it's all over!!! :( :( I adore this world! I'm totally with you on the plot though. I really thought more things would be addressed, there were a lot of things i felt could be really interesting if they were talked about or played a larger role... but the book was really short. I liked it but it wasn't my fave. loved seeing everyone though, love these guys. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apparently, your common box ate my comment up :( I'm so depressed this series ended, I miss Adrian already! Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review Rachel, I thought it was kind of predictable and easily resolved too but it was still a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just decided to pick this up, I know shocking right? You would think I would have already read it XD but I'm glad you liked it! Gives me hope that this'll be a good ending to the series! Even though I'm super sad to see it end DX
    Great review hun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still need to read the last 2 books of the series. I loved the growth in Adrian and Sydney's relationship and I absolutely love Richelle Mead's writing. I've heard many say the plot was a bit underwhelming, but I'm glad it didn't completely ruin the book for you. I'm going to pick this up soon!
    Lovely review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I may be in the minority, but I really wanted this series to end. Not in a bad way, but I really wanted to know how it would end. I'm overall glad with the series, but I wasn't in love with TRS. Still, I'm such a huge fan of the VA and Bloodlines series.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never read a book by this author before, but I really do hope to because I have heard they are amazing! I really want to start with Vampire Academy, but it's nice to know there are cameo appearances for the huge fans, and that the romance and couple shipping is great in this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic review! Unfortunately, I have seen several times now that people have been a bit disappointed with the plot in this final book. That stinks so bad, but I will absolutely be reading it! At least the awesome that is Sydney and Adrian is as awesome as ever!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)