Review ~ Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Raven Cycle #1
Genre: YA Paranormal
Page Length:  416 Pages
Publication Date: September 18th, 2012
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Source: Finished copy 
Goodreads

“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before.

There are certain books that basically everyone loves. The mere mention of the book sends people into a gushing session. The Raven Boys is one of those books, and I can honestly say that it deserves all the gushes and the praise.

I love the premise of this story. There's a little bit of everything. There's some magic, treasure-hunting, exploring, and more. I like how there's a bit of creepiness and mystery, yet there are some funny and light moments to couple it. Gansey and the Raven Boys are searching for a king who is in an induced sleep who, if woken, can grant you one wish. The Raven Boys follow the ley lines which are basically paranormal energy source lines that leads to the king. Of course they aren't the only ones searching for this lost king though...

The writing is pure brilliance. I just love how everything sounds beautiful and is so very literate. It's crafted so wonderfully and in such unique style. There are so many wonderful quotes that I'd like to show, but basically it would be the whole book, so just go read!! I love the pacing and how everything connects so well.

I adore these characters. They're so different from the average YA characters. The characters are what really make this book shine. There's something about the characters in this book that just screams "Eccentricity" and "Fascinating" and I just can't help but be taken-up by it all. I'm not sure what I'm most invested in, the plot or the characters. 

So often secondary characters are tossed aside and sprinkled with a few traits, yet all the spotlight and attention goes towards the protagonist. I felt the characters were all flushed out and just as descriptive as Blue. Gansey is so energizing and inspiring and adorable in his quest. I understand Adam's desire to succeed in life. His actions and emotions were pretty realistic, and I could connect with him most. I wish he wouldn't be so darn judgemental towards Gansey though. Ronan's poor soul, I feel so bad for the guy! His snark coupled with his candor makes me like him even more. Noah is so sweet and innocent. Blue is a pretty great protagonist. She keeps a clear head, and she's quirky. 


14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed Rachel! I couldn't finish the book tho…but it's not actually a DNF HAHA I read like 10 pages and I was bored HAHAH Well, I was a bit bias because I don't like Maggie's books like Shiver HAHA I was judgemental LOL But I'm gonna try to read it soon. :)

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! The Raven Boys Cycle was one of my favorite series I read last year. Each book just gets better and Maggie Stiefvater's writing is beyond wonderful! I definitely agree that it's her characters that make her books. I love how unique each character's personality is and how well developed each one is - like it's not like other books where the characters sometimes blend into each other. I definitely hope you continue the series. I promise each book is amazing =)

    - Jazzie @ The Book Dancer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have had this one on my Kindle for the longest time, but I have not read it yet. That is probably because I can't afford to start another series yet. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review!
    I read The Raven Boys last year and I ended up really enjoying it, even though the first half dragged a lot for me.
    I loved all the Raven Boys and I can't wait to see more of them when I finally pick up The Dream Thieves :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one waiting on my TBR for me. Now that I know you enjoyed it, I'm even more excited to read it :)

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!! So happy you read AND loved this one Rachel!! I feel like this series keeps on getting better and better with each book!
    Hope you will continue reading and loving this series, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't love it. It fell flat for me, but I still want to give the other books a try, simply to see why everyone else is obsessing over it. :D My Twitter is an endless stream of TRC on some days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did really like how all of the secondary characters were so alive --- that was probably one of my favorite parts of this book. I actually struggled with the pacing a bit --- it took long enough to get into "the good stuff" that I almost put it down and came back to it later. Not that it was bad, just difficult for me to stay absorbed given how crazy life has been lately.

    I just posted my review the other day!
    http://classycatbooks.com/2015/03/the-raven-boys-the-raven-cycle-1-by-maggie-stiefvater-takecontroltbr/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Atleast someone it liked it more than me, I thought the plot was a bit boring :) Great review <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  10. Atleast someone it liked it more than me, I thought the plot was a bit boring :) Great review <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started this book last year and didn't get very far. I think had I not been in a bit of a book funk I would have finished this book. But I started it when I really didn't have the attention to focus on the story like I should have. I loved Maggie's book The Scorpio Races and have all intentions to try this book again. It was just a little to confusing for me when I couldn't focus. So many people love the series though so I really hope when I go to read it again that I can focus and enjoy it! Awesome review! You make me want to give it another shot soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Though I didn't think that Raven Boys was mindblowing and amazing as the hype and reviews suggested,I really enjoyed this book.What I really loved about it is the characters.They had so much depth,and I personally adored Ronan and Adam.
    Great review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds really good. I have been looking at the book for a while. I think I will pick it up soon.
    -Grace

    ReplyDelete
  14. It took me 4 tries before I got past the 3rd chapter of this book. Once I dug my heels in and just read, I honestly couldn't stop and devoured the first three books in less than a week. I CANNOT wait for the final book this year. I plan on sitting down and reading the whole series back to back, and loving every minute of it! I am so glad that you enjoyed it, as much as you did! It always stinks to be the black sheep, which happens for me a bit, so when you can be a part of the "in" crowd, it is pretty great! Lots more gushing partners!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)