Blog Tour: Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein



Series: Becoming Jinn #1
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
Page Length:  384 Pages
Publication Date: April 21st, 2015
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Source: ARC (thanks Macmillan!)
Goodreads

Azra has just turned sixteen, and overnight her body lengthens, her olive skin deepens, and her eyes glisten gold thanks to the brand-new silver bangle that locks around her wrist. As she always knew it would, her Jinn ancestry brings not just magical powers but the reality of a life of servitude, as her wish granting is controlled by a remote ruling class of Jinn known as the Afrit. 

To the humans she lives among, she’s just the girl working at the snack bar at the beach, navigating the fryer and her first crush. But behind closed doors, she’s learning how to harness her powers and fulfill the obligations of her destiny. 

Mentored by her mother and her Zar “sisters”, Azra discovers she may not be quite like the rest of her circle of female Jinn . . . and that her powers could endanger them all. As Azra uncovers the darker world of becoming Jinn, she realizes when genies and wishes are involved, there’s always a trick.

Becoming Jinn was easily one of my most anticipated books on 2015. It's surreal to think that after so much time of yearning and waiting, I finally had the chance to read this book! Overall I really enjoyed it and its contemporary portrayal of jinnis.

Azra, the main character, is such a vibrant person. She basically jumps off the page! Azra is spunky, rebellious, and sarcastic. I love it. I thought she was very relatable and quite realistic. She makes mistakes and learns to fix them. Too often in books the characters are perfect. It just doesn't work like that! The supporting characters (especially the Jinn sisters) are just as well-developed. I love the whole cast even though some of them aren't too nice. 

I loved the Jinn concept. Lori did an amazing job of weaving the Jinn culture and history and magic into the story. I loved the world-building in particular.

The writing was wonderful as well. You'd never know Lori was debuting this year! Her imagery and characterization and plot development was stellar. There was just something so intriguing about the premise and alluring writing that made me keep reading.

Overall this is a fresh take on jinnis that I'd recommend if you're in the mood for a fun read. 


a Rafflecopter giveaway

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that it's good :D Becoming Jinn sounds like a book my sister or I would love to read. Thanks for the review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you enjoyed this one so much, Rachel! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this one sounds pretty interesting! I'm glad you enjoyed it, especially with it being one of your most anticipated this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an awesome read. So glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. I have added it to my TBR list and can't wait to check it out. :) Awesome giveaway too!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love the cover of this book! Sounds like a good read too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Especially considering it was so highly anticipated for you, I'm so glad to hear you liked it so much Rachel. :D Definitely going to have to get a copy of this - it sounds like such an original story! Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for books that reach your expectations :) I've had some anticipated reads this year that turned out to be lackluster, and let me tell you, the feeling that results is not pretty in any shape or form. Haha! I haven't started this yet officially (only the first three pages?) but I do agree that the writing has a certain personal charm to it. Hopefully I will love it... my co-blogger wasn't as luck as you with this book >_<

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love the Jinn concept definitely, it sounds like so much fun! Azra sounds like a really fun snarky character to read about, and I'm glad she isn't portrayed as a perfect character tool. Lovely review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the concept of genies in novels, I'm surprised by how underrated they are actually. Lovely review overall <3 The writing sounds exciting, I think I might like this one <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I very much enjoyed the premise, and the jinn, I didn't love the characters in this one. Especially the main character. But I am happy that so many others are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)