Review ~ Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Series: Snow Like Ashes #1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Page Length:  422 Pages
Publication Date: October 14th, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: Physical Copy
Goodreads

A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.

When I read the synopsis of Snow Like Ashes, I was immediately excited to read it. I knew it was going to be great. And then I read it. And. I. Loved. It. Snow Like Ashes is one of the best fantasy novels I've read in a long time. It's definitely a favorite book of the year.

This book seriously has everything. Romance. Sword Fight. A Ball. Magic. Hoy Guys. Battles. Badassery. My enjoyment level stayed at a consistent 100% throughout. I was just so enthralled by what was going on. Snow Like Ashes was devoured in one sitting. And then quickly reread five times, but who's counting...

The writing was simplistic and great! The pacing was perfect. There were slow moments and heart-racing moments so perfectly matched. I felt that what happened in this book usually takes place over three books in a series. SLA was jam-packed with action and thrills.  I loved the premise of this story. Raasch is quite imaginative. She truly knows how to write an addictive book. I was also impressed by the lingo that each respective nation had and how well it was incorporated. It was just the little meticulous details that brought this book to the next level for me. My only two critiques: The world-building was stellar, but I felt that it was a bit of a memory dump in the beginning. Sometimes the author blatantly told us some things (especially in regards to character's feelings and thoughts) instead of implying or hinting. We can figure it out!

SLA was highly enjoyable. Do you ever fantasize or imagine something happening in the book you're reading? What if _____ happened?! This book left me so satisfied and took my hopes and desires to the next level and made it even better than I'd imagined! This book is sure to take the YA scene by storm.

The characters were wonderful and so realistic. They're all so lovable and truly enjoyable to read about. I cared for all of them so much!! Very rarely am I invested in characters as much as I was with SLA's characters. The characterization was superb. Meira was a strong protagonist whom I enjoyed reading about.

This book isn't romance-heavy which I appreciated. There's a love triangle forming, but it really wasn't the focus of the book. There were much more important things going on, and I'm glad the author chose that aspect over the romance. I'm a bit weary though, I hope this love triangle doesn't take center stage in book #2.

I can't stop reveling in the epicness of this book. Just open it up and read and enjoy!

Snow Like Ashes was a wonderful start to a new favorite fantasy series of mine.
Have you read this book? What were your thoughts? 

20 comments:

  1. This is next on my TBR list & I'm so glad you enjoyed it Rachel! I'm hoping to check this out for the weekend so let's see how it goes :) I love the sound of the premise, fantastic review overall <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is next on my TBR list & I'm so glad you enjoyed it Rachel! I'm hoping to check this out for the weekend so let's see how it goes :) I love the sound of the premise, fantastic review overall <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have this one on my TBR, but wasn't sure it was worth the hype. This review makes me want to read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay I'm glad you also agree that the forming love triangle doesn't take away from the book! I think Sara did a great job with that. I really liked this one! Team Theron right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH YEAH! I adooored Snow Like Ashes and I'm totally dying to get my hands on Ice Like Fire!!
    Sooooo Rachel, are you Team Theron or Team Mather? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES. I love this book!

    I really enjoyed Miera's badass character. She just had so much going for her. I felt like she sort of became a martyr in some spots but then showed awesome development by making smarter and more strategic attacks afterwards!

    I also totally agree about the writing. It was just beautiful. i don't even know how to describe it but you did it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be completely honest, I think this is the first love triangle I've absolutely invested myself in since....I'm not even sure...maybe even The Hunger Games? It's awesome that Sara creates two such strong male characters, and that their attraction to Miera isn't forced or unrealistic. It's always annoying seeing a love triangle where you know a certain character is going to get the girl, but this is one of the few love triangles that you honestly can't tell who will end up with who. Not only that, but it's there for a reason. It's not simply dumped into the plot to add angst like 99% of YA love triangles on the market today are, you know? There's a plot-related purpose for it, and it isn't forced down our throats, and that made me so, so happy.

    My only complaint with this one was just that the twist at the end was just a little too predictable for my taste. *shrugs* But I am so curious to see where everything goes from here! Thanks for sharing Rachel! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, I'm glad you loved it! It is one of my favorite books too. I love how funny Meira is and there are so many great moments. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaah I can't believe I haven't read this yet! I've been seeing it around everywhere, yet still haven't gotten up the nerve to try it out. There's romance sword fights, balls, hot guys, magic, you gave it five stars, and reread it five times. Ummm I think I'm definitely going to have to move this up on my TBR!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had this on my TBR-list for quite a while because I've seen a lot of really good reviews of it, and it seems like something I'd definitely like! Great review (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also read it and loved it :) glad you also did!

    John @ Burnishbooks

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book was in my TBR pile, I was actually debating on whether or not I should read this next. After reading your review, I'm definitely gonna read this next!

    Shilah @ Paper Selections

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! I love this book so much. I even think it's better than ToG, and Meira being more badass than Celaena ;P Bahaha! (But seriously, both are awesome). It was long but I didn't even feel that way because you're just glued to the pages, you know? I can't wait for book 2 as well. IT would be epic.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to read this book! I love that it's not romance-heavy because generally I dont want to remember a book based on the couples, but rather on the story plot itself.

    Maryam @ Captain Swan Bookishhh

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm worried about a love triangle, too! Hopefully, it won't actually become a full blown one next book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! I liked this one a lot. I found the world really creative but I agree on the info dumping. It suffered from first book syndrome to me. There was just so much set up and a lot of trying to get us not to focus on things that were kind of obvious. But it didn't ruin the book. I'm definitely excited to see how the series develops.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  17. As the GIF clearly states, LOVE IT! I adored this one, and I cannot wait for the next in the series. Thanks for your review

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this one too. And I just got to meet the author!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yayy, I'm glad you liked this! :D
    It came yesterday in the mail and I'll be starting it soon, I cannot wait! *-*

    ReplyDelete
  20. See, when I first heard about this book, I wasn't too excited. I'm not really into fantasy but SLA converted me.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)