ARC Review ~ The Wrath and The Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

Series: The Wrath and The Dawn #1
Genre: YA Fantasy/Retelling
Page Length: 388 Pages
Publication Date: May 12th, 2015
Publisher: Putnam
Source: ARC via friend (thanks Dawn!)
Goodreads
A sumptuous and epically told love story inspired by A Thousand and One Nights

Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi's wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend.

She discovers that the murderous boy-king is not all that he seems and neither are the deaths of so many girls. Shazi is determined to uncover the reason for the murders and to break the cycle once and for all.
The first words that come to mind when I think of this book is mesmerizing. Simply mesmerizing. This captivating book beguiles and enchants from page one and leaves you in a painful withdrawal period after you finish.

Each day the Caliph of Khorasan weds a new girl and then at dawn she is executed with a silk cord wrapped tightly around her neck. Shahrzad's best friend Shiva succumbs to this fate, and in revenge Shahrzad offers herself as the next bride. She aims to kill the Caliph and avenge her friend's death. She tells stories to the Caliph and manages an impossible feat, she lives to see the next day. And the next. And the next. Slowly she starts to fall in love with the Caliph, Khalid, and realizes that everything is not as it seems and everything she thought might be completely wrong.

I love the setting of this book above all. It's a Middle Eastern/Arabian flair that's wonderfully depicted. Renee incorporates such rich culture and customs into her book from the food to the decorum, the speech to the costume, the tales to the geography. She supplies us with new words and a wonderful glossary. She gives savory descriptions of food. This book is big on sensory details.

Shahrzad (Shazi) is witty and smart and bold. I love her character and the bravery she possesses. Unlike most protagonists, Shazi is not indecisive. She's clear minded and makes quick decisions. She's not one to daly. Khalid is mysterious and elusive. He's thoughtful and caring behind his icy facade. Jalal and Despina are wonderful comic relief, the rest of the cast, although small, all have redeeming qualities.

The romance in this book was beautiful. It developed so slowly and their love transcends the clouds. Shazi and Khalid have such a unique relationship. It's so strong and beautiful, I was rooting for them the whole time. Khalid had a bleak, loveless childhood and Shazi is the perfect person to cheer him up and love him. Khalid checks Shazi's brash and reckless nature. They're like puzzle pieces, they just fit together so well! They are definitely one of my top OTPs. They have amazing chemistry, and their scenes together make me smile all the time. Their relationship reminds me of fire and ice. The romance is intoxicating and smoldering and everything you could possibly want.

The plot is unique and great. Although there's not much action, there are definitely lots of seeds planted in this novel that will blossom into bigger issues to come. The romance and Khalid's secrets are the main focuses of this novel, yet big things are to come. The writing was wonderful, it matched the setting perfectly. The ending was fantastic yet heartbreaking. I need book 2!

Renee's debut is engaging and enchanting, I highly recommend this book!

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I read this review, because I bought this book, but was feeling uncertain as for if I would enjoy it or not after all. But I'm pretty sure I will. And the romance sounds so beautiful!! Wonderful review, Rachel! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I still need to read this one! So glad you loved it, especially the romance. I have very high hopes for it (and it sounds so sexy and smoldering!)
    Great review, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK. I grew up on a book called Shadow Spinner which was totally a Shahrazad (omg, I cannot spell the original way) retelling and I loved it. I adored it! So a new YA version?!! YUS PLEASE. I'm so glad it's as beautiful and wonderful and delicious as it looks!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this book everywhere and literally had no intention to read it at all, but after seeing your review, I AM INCREDIBLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT :D I love the idea so much, I just want to hug it, even if I don't know how it really goes in the book exactly haha *hugs* I can't wait to finally read this! Shazi and Khalid sound like really interesting characters :) Lovely review, Rachel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I NEED this book now! I love how diverse it sounds with the characters, they're middle eastern yay<3 & it actually releases today! Off to amazon to one click purchase it :) Beautiful review Rachel. <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  6. AH. Danielle got me this one at ALA. I really need to start it already! Especially since you loved this one! And that romance? Sounds SO good! I love couples that balance each other out! I'm ok with more character driven books and fantasies setting up for the big stuff in the next books. I think I'll like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this book!When I was about 10,I read a milder version of the Arabian Nights tales,and was utterly fascinated by them!So I am so excited to read this rendition.I hope I'll love this as much as I loved the original tales!
    Great review Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I NEED to have this book! I've been waiting for it for soo long and ever since the amazing reviews started to come I'm even more excited to finally have it. Also, I love retellings and the original tale so this is perfect for me.
    Lovely review as always, Rachel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, your review took my breath away about this book, it sounds incredible! I love the Middle Eastern/Arabian setting, and the romance sounds absolutely thrilling and brilliant. Love the sound of it, lovely review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been looking at this book for a while because the synopsis makes it seem so awesome and so does the epic cover! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)