Meet The Newbies is a blog event co-hosted by Dana @DanaSquare and I, in which we introduce you to all of the new kids in school, the 2015 debut authors!
Meet Lori Goldstein:
Meet Her Debut Novel:
Azra has just turned sixteen, and overnight her body lengthens, her olive skin deepens, and her eyes glisten gold thanks to the brand-new silver bangle that locks around her wrist. As she always knew it would, her Jinn ancestry brings not just magical powers but the reality of a life of servitude, as her wish granting is controlled by a remote ruling class of Jinn known as the Afrit.
To the humans she lives among, she’s just the girl working at the snack bar at the beach, navigating the fryer and her first crush. But behind closed doors, she’s learning how to harness her powers and fulfill the obligations of her destiny.
Mentored by her mother and her Zar “sisters”, Azra discovers she may not be quite like the rest of her circle of female Jinn . . . and that her powers could endanger them all. As Azra uncovers the darker world of becoming Jinn, she realizes when genies and wishes are involved, there’s always a trick.
I've known Lori since July, and she's seriously the sweetest! I thoroughly enjoyed Lori's debut, Becoming Jinn and you can check out my review here. Today Lori shares ten random facts about herself!
10 Random Things About Lori
1. I had a grandmother named Snookie and grew up on the Jersey Shore before it was something to be embarrassed about (okay, so maybe growing up in Jersey has always been something to be embarrassed about).
2. I slept in a tent in the Serengeti in Africa and survived the terrifying hours of an unidentified animal thumping the outside directly behind my head by reciting—mostly word for word—the entire story of Dirty Dancing to my husband. He countered with Star Wars.
3. I am 4’10”. I may or may not (may) have a Napoleon complex. I may or may not (may) fit in children’s shoes. I may or may not (may not) be able to reach the clothes in my stackable washer/dryer without a step stool.
4. I wish I knew at the time that my sixth-grade teacher was a psychic. She foretold the future by writing on my report card “Lori will be an author.” Nice. But would it have killed her to add a winning Powerball number or two?
5. I have copyedited everything from an essay by the president of Mexico to the energy policy plan for the state of Oklahoma to a knitting for dogs book.
6. I cannot be friends with you if you do not like Fight Club.
7. I love all things vampire. Always have. Always will. If you know who Damon and Klaus are, you are my people.
8. I write about teenagers because apparently I still am one. My editor was impressed with my ability to nail a sixteen-year-old’s voice. I didn’t confess that the voice is simply mine.
9. I need three things for my perfect day: beach, book, and backup book for when I finish book one.
10. I can successfully hail a taxi in New York City in the rain.
Lori is giving away some awesome Jinn swag, US only!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I hope you'll join us for our first Meet the Newbies twitter chat on Friday, May 22nd at 8 PM EST!! There will be prizes and lots of fun. :)
Other #MeetTheNewbs Posts & Giveaways: