#MeetTheNewbs ~ Stacey Lee Author of Under A Painted Sky (Guest Post)


Meet The Newbies is a blog event co-hosted by Dana @DanaSquare and I, in which we introduce you to all of the new kids in school, the 2015 debut authors!

Meet Stacey Lee:

Stacey Lee is a fourth generation Chinese-American whose people came to California during the heydays of the cowboys. She believes she still has a bit of cowboy dust in her soul. A native of southern California, she graduated from UCLA then got her law degree at UC Davis King Hall. After practicing law in the Silicon Valley for several years, she finally took up the pen because she wanted the perks of being able to nap during the day, and it was easier than moving to Spain. She plays classical piano, raises children, and writes YA fiction.

Meet Her Debut Novel:

Missouri, 1849: Samantha dreams of moving back to New York to be a professional musician—not an easy thing if you’re a girl, and harder still if you’re Chinese. But a tragic accident dashes any hopes of fulfilling her dream, and instead, leaves her fearing for her life. With the help of a runaway slave named Annamae, Samantha flees town for the unknown frontier. But life on the Oregon Trail is unsafe for two girls, so they disguise themselves as Sammy and Andy, two boys headed for the California gold rush. Sammy and Andy forge a powerful bond as they each search for a link to their past, and struggle to avoid any unwanted attention. But when they cross paths with a band of cowboys, the light-hearted troupe turn out to be unexpected allies. With the law closing in on them and new setbacks coming each day, the girls quickly learn that there are not many places to hide on the open trail.

This beautifully written debut is an exciting adventure and heart-wrenching survival tale. But above all else, it’s a story about perseverance and trust that will restore your faith in the power of friendship.
 


I adored Stacey's debut, Under A Painted Sky. You can check out my review here. Today Stacey shares ten random facts about herself!

Guest Post:

10 Random Things About Stacey

I. I surfed for the first time this past year and got a black eye.
2. I'm allergic to animals with fur, and fish with shells.
3. I have perfect pitch
4. I can 'hear' scents with my nose (it's called synesthesia, and yes, it is weird)
5. I worked as a lawyer at a tech company for several years before 'retiring' to write.
6. In the past week, I got licked by a horse, and almost stepped on a rattlesnake.
7. I worked at a toy store in college, where I helped movie stars like Holly Hunter and Mel Gibson pick out toys.
8. I'm a terrible insomniac.
9. I love papayas.
10. I love creating things, like cloud pillows, terrariums, and of course, stories.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

I hope you'll join us for our first Meet the Newbies twitter chat on Friday, May 22nd at 8 PM EST!! There will be prizes and lots of fun. :)


Other #MeetTheNewbs Posts & Giveaways:

9 comments:

  1. Omg what a cool author! Stacey is like my author spirit animal, but I wouldn't want to be allergic to shellfish...I love my shellfish.

    Under A Painted Sky sounds beautiful as well - we definitely need more books that focus on Chinese characters! More diversity please!

    Thanks for sharing this Rach! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard nothing but fantastic things for UNDER A PAINTED SKY! Love the ten facts - I don't even want to think about what would happen if I ever went surfing. Of course, I"m thousands of miles away from any oceans, so I probably don't have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all for diversity in YA:) Sounds like an amazing book and beautiful cover:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allergic to all furry animals?? SO NOT COOL!!
    I've heard such great things about this book, so I really need to pick this one up soon, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cool blog post idea! I'm fairly new to YA so I've mainly been looking at the older books that everyone keeps telling me I must read. So to come across this and meet debuting YA authors sounds fun. In a way, they're newbies as well hehe. This book sounds so wonderful! I love friendship novels ahhh. I'm so sad that she's allergic to animals with fur, they're so cuteee. But being able to hear scents is pretty wicked. Thanks for sharing!! Hopefully I can make it to the twitter chat :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book, and Stacey is such a sweet person, and it was awesome learning more about her here! I had no idea that Stacey used to be a lawyer - that's so cool! And gah...as a singer, I wish I had perfect pitch - LOL. ;) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post Rachel! Thank you for sharing these amazing facts Stacey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love learning about all these new authors

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Meet The Newbs thing is so much fun! My wishlist is growing! -Jennifer Y.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Synesthesia is something I have heard of before and it intrigues me a lot. I have done quite a bit of research of it and of all the conditions to have I think that one is pretty cool and different. I also will definitely be reading this book because I am someone who is very VERY interested in culture, and it seems this is what this book features quite a bit as well.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)