Review ~ The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne

Series: N/A
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length: 400 Pages
Publication Date: March 17th, 2015
Publisher: Dial
Source: Borrowed via library 
Goodreads
Fans of Sarah Dessen and Huntley Fitzpatrick will enjoy this smart debut young adult novel, equal parts My Life Next Door and The Princess Diaries—plus a dash of Aaron Sorkin.

Kate Quinn’s mom died last year, leaving Kate parentless and reeling. So when the unexpected shows up in her living room, Kate must confront another reality she never thought possible—or thought of at all. Kate does have a father. He’s a powerful politician. And he’s running for U.S. President. Suddenly, Kate’s moving in with a family she never knew she had, joining a campaign in support of a man she hardly knows, and falling for a rebellious boy who may not have the purest motives. This is Kate’s new life. But who is Kate? When what she truly believes flies in the face of the campaign’s talking points, she must decide. Does she turn to the family she barely knows, the boy she knows but doesn’t necessarily trust, or face a third, even scarier option?

Set against a backdrop of politics, family, and first love, this is a story of personal responsibility, complicated romance, and trying to discover who you are even as everyone tells you who you should be.
Both heart-warming and entertaining, The Wrong Side of Right is a wonderful contemporary that gives an introspective view of politics and family.

I'm always cautious to read books about politics because sometimes they are too preachy and other times it's vastly inaccurate and unrealistic. Jenn placed the perfect touch of politics, it was both subtle and realistic. There's a vibe, a sense of energy that follows the campaign trail, and Jenn did a wonderful job of capturing it on the pages. The writing was wonderful, and the plot was fun and addictive.

The characters in this book are all so endearing. Kate was a quirky protagonist, and it was fun going on this journey of self-discovery with her. The senator was a bit more closed off for most of the book yet I could see just how much he wanted to make a difference. The twins (Gracie and Gabe) were adorable and their innocence and kindness kept this book in such a sweet light. Meg's acceptance and embracement of Kate really furthered my love for this book. The interconnecting relationships and bonds formed were a key element and shining part of this novel. All of the characters had such vibrant personalities!

This book is romance-light and focuses on the values of family and self-discovery. I'm glad the romance never overtook the plot. It was adorable and sweet! Andy is totally swoon-worthy. On the family front, I loved watching Kate's relationship with Gabe, Gracie, the Senator, and Meg grow. My favorite part of this book was definitely seeing Kate and Meg's (her stepmother) relationship flourish. Kate learns more about herself and what she'd do to protect those she loves. She learns to stand up for herself and her friends.

This book is heartfelt and enjoyable, I highly recommend this to contemporary readers!

16 comments:

  1. The synopsis of this book didn't really catch my eye but I read ur review anyways because you never seem to fail on recommending great books! I've seen this on my recent trips to Barnes & Noble and love the cover so I might get this one on my next trip. And besides, I'm in the summer mood for light-hearted contemporaries!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first, I'm pretty afraid too that this book has many politics-things that I don't understand, but turns out it didn't. Glad to know that this book is more about self-discovery rather than anything else since I'm expecting it!

    Great review, Rachel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great review and I can't stop looking at that beautiful cover!!! I need to go on a book buying craze and pick up all the pretty books.. hahaaha

    PS, I love your blog! I'm a new follower of yours♥

    Have a great day!

    - Jumana @ http://booksbyj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a wonderful light hearted read Rachel! I'm glad the politics wasn't too boring and it kept things moving. Sounds like the perfect summery read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good heartfelt read. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, this sounds so incredible! Cute and fluffy romance that doesn't over take the plot?! Um, YES PLEASE. XD I don't usually like reading about books that deal with US politics because...I'm not American. And it kinda doesn't make sense to me because you guys do it sooo differently to us. But that saying I'm reading The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness and it has a big emphasis on politics and I'm surviving. So hope for The Wrong Side of Right, yes?!? I love the colours of the cover too. xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always on the lookout for new contemporary reads, so this one sounds like a winner! It's always refreshing to have a novel where the romance doesn't detract from the other elements of the story, and with beautiful writing. Thanks for sharing a lovely review Rachel :)

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got this one from the library and started reading it yesterday! I started getting a bit nervous when they mentioned that he was Republican and a little afraid that there was going to be a lot more politics in it than I though, so I'm happy to hear that you think it was just the perfect amount! I haven't met Andy yet, but I AM ON THE LOOKOUT. I am definitely loving Gracie and Gabe so far, too. They're so adorable! Lovely review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes to good contemporary reads! I'm glad the book isn't more romance focused and it's rather about self- discovery. I'm going to add this to my TBR, awesome review <3 Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great! I love the occasional fluffy read, but sometimes I find they're just...too fluffy, you know, so I'm glad this one is still able to maintain that balance. And I love the sound of the politics - I feel like some YA authors try to either eliminate or simplify politics because they feel that YA readers "wouldn't get it," so I'm glad that this one doesn't. (I mean, for crying out loud, what do you think we do in history class every day? LOL) Fabulous review Rachel - definitely going to have to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I realy want to read this one! That cover is gorgeous <3 great review, I'll definitely pick this up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really interesting Rach! I love the fact that the book gives great importance to family and self disocvery-I love that in my contemporaries.
    Great review hun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh this sounds so GOOD! I love that this is more focused on the plot and family stuff and the relationship is just something that is nice, but not too overpowering! And I love that the politics are accurate AND not overwhelming (I had the same concerns that you did, so this is good to hear). I am really hoping to get a chance to read this soon, sounds fabulous! Great review :D

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY! I won this in a giveaway so I just recently got it! I've been super excited because I've heard good things! I like that it wasn't overly heavy on politics (I'm the same way- don't like when it's too much) And I love quirky protagonists! SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would agree - sometimes it can be hard to do politics correctly when it comes to books like this one. But it seems like this one got the balance just right, and I like the theme of family running through it as well. Great review :3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm about to put a hold on this one through the library! I remember you telling me that you liked it a few weeks ago, and I wanted to buy it immediately. But... I'm trying to save some cash this summer.

    I can't wait to read it, especially because you said it's not too preachy. I'm never a fan of books like that.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)