Review ~ Hello, I Love You

Author: Katie M. Stout
Series: N/A
Genre: YA Contemporary
Page Length: 304 Pages
Publication Date: June 9th, 2015
Publisher: St Martin's Griffin
Source: Finished Copy via publisher (Thanks St. Martins!)
Goodreads
A teen escapes to a boarding school abroad and falls for a Korean pop star in this fun and fresh romantic novel in the vein of Anna and the French Kiss.

Grace Wilde is running—from the multi-million dollar mansion her record producer father bought, the famous older brother who’s topped the country music charts five years in a row, and the mother who blames her for her brother’s breakdown. Grace escapes to the farthest place from home she can think of, a boarding school in Korea, hoping for a fresh start.

She wants nothing to do with music, but when her roommate Sophie’s twin brother Jason turns out to be the newest Korean pop music superstar, Grace is thrust back into the world of fame. She can't stand Jason, whose celebrity status is only outmatched by his oversized ego, but they form a tenuous alliance for the sake of her friendship with Sophie. As the months go by and Grace adjusts to her new life in Korea, even she can't deny the sparks flying between her and the KPOP idol. 

Soon, Grace realizes that her feelings for Jason threaten her promise to herself that she'll leave behind the music industry that destroyed her family. But can Grace ignore her attraction to Jason and her undeniable pull of the music she was born to write? Sweet, fun, and romantic, this young adult novel explores what it means to experience first love and discover who you really are in the process.

I knew instantly from the synopsis that this book was going to be adorable and fun. It's exactly the type of novel I needed at the moment! 

I've never really listened to KPOP, so it was really interesting getting to learn a little bit more about it. I love how much music is entwined with this story. You can tell Katie really pours her musicality into this book. It was such a fun aspect that I thoroughly enjoyed. I soaked up all the details on the Korean culture, KPOP, and K-drama. The food, the pop culture, the attire, the customs, I loved it all!! 

One problem that I and many other people had was with the ignorance of the culture. When Grace comes to South Korea she's a bit ignorant. It's kind of offensive and cringe-worthy, but she learns! It kind of tweaked me the wrong way, but at the same time this is such a realistic problem. You'd be surprised how many Americans actually act this way!! I've personally seen some incredibly offensive and rude behavior from cultural misunderstanding or simply from not being educated... As I said though, Grace learns! 

I really liked the characters in this book. Grace blames herself for something that happened to her family and runs away to South Korea to escape her troubles. Jason does something similar and thus a hesitant friendship forms. And something more comes about. I really loved the dynamic between the two. They made each other happy and fixed the broken parts in each other. Jason infuriated me to no end in so many parts though. He's a jerk one minute, and then sweet and kind the next. I'm baffled that Grace put up with him for so long. It really bugged me how the romance was drawn out through fighting and tension and mistrust and dallying back and forth. "Oh I want to be with you, but I'm mad at you. I can't trust you! But I like you. And you like me." Ugh it happened for 100 pages!! 

Sophie and the other two band members Tae Hwa and Yoon Jae were also great characters. They were prevalent in the first half of the book and then slowly faded to the background as the romance developed more. I wish they were there more! There's a "shocking" revelation that I guessed from page one. It kind of dulled the effect and impact of the climax for me, but it still allowed the story to be heartwarming and enjoyable. 

Although I've shared my nitpicks with this novel, I actually really enjoyed it! It's one of those books where you just want to kick back and listen to some K-pop after reading it. This book is sugar-sweet and loads of fun! I'd recommend you try it out if you're not in a critical mood. 

10 comments:

  1. The romance sounds a but annoying, but the overall story sounds cute! Maybe I will try this one a bit later on. Great review Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sound of the cultural aspect! And also the boarding school one. The characters, however don't sound too charming haha. I'l think I'll do as you suggested and read this when I'm not in a critical mood. Lovely review, Rachel! :)

    Sophie @ Seamless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe after all this time of being friends on Goodreads, I haven't been following your blog!

    Great review. I'm looking forward to reading this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, detailed review :) I'm afraid I still won't be reading this one because I'm a huge KPOP fan and from the quotes I've seen, Grace is not just a little bit ignorant but EXTREMELY ignorant. And quite culturally supremacist too.

    But like you said, a lot of Americans are ignorant about other cultures. I remember asking a classmate to watch a KPOP video with me and they responded with "But it's not English, it's just ching chang chong. How's that musical?" and I don't think I ever talked to that classmate ever again xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sound cute and I have to admit I am quite ignorant when it comes to the Korean culture being from Australia, it does sound like Grace was educated and grew as a character.

    A lovely review! Thank you for sharing, Sharon – Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sure looks like a fun-read! Not being a KPOP fan, I might actually find myself to be able to relate to Grace- and hopefully let my taste in music grow too! :D Lovely intriguing review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!! I'm so happy to see you ended up enjoying this. I hope to start it soon. I'm actually really excited for it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful review Rachel - I read this one as well, and I did like it for the most part although, it was saddening on how ignorant and shallow the character is but it's great that Grace does reach character growth in the end. The cover is sooo cute though! <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jason sounds like an annoying love interest, both hot and cold. I wouldn't be able to stand it. Grace's bigoted views sound painful, but I'm glad she gets better. Wonderful review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if I should give this book a second chance. After the negative reviews, I vowed to stay away (I love K-pop AND I'm Korean-Ameircan). But...it's true that a lot of Americans aren't respectful to cultures outside the U.S. and I do love me some character growth. Hmmm. You've given me some things to think about. Great review, Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)