Review ~ The Royal We

Author: Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan
Series: I WISH...
Genre: Chick Lit/Contemporary
Page Length:  464 Pages
Publication Date: April 7th, 2015
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Source: Purchased 
Goodreads
"I might be Cinderella today, but I dread who they'll think I am tomorrow. I guess it depends on what I do next." 

American Rebecca Porter was never one for fairy tales. Her twin sister, Lacey, has always been the romantic who fantasized about glamour and royalty, fame and fortune. Yet it's Bex who seeks adventure at Oxford and finds herself living down the hall from Prince Nicholas, Great Britain's future king. And when Bex can't resist falling for Nick, the person behind the prince, it propels her into a world she did not expect to inhabit, under a spotlight she is not prepared to face.

Dating Nick immerses Bex in ritzy society, dazzling ski trips, and dinners at Kensington Palace with him and his charming, troublesome brother, Freddie. But the relationship also comes with unimaginable baggage: hysterical tabloids, Nick's sparkling and far more suitable ex-girlfriends, and a royal family whose private life is much thornier and more tragic than anyone on the outside knows. The pressures are almost too much to bear, as Bex struggles to reconcile the man she loves with the monarch he's fated to become.

Which is how she gets into trouble.

Now, on the eve of the wedding of the century, Bex is faced with whether everything she's sacrificed for love-her career, her home, her family, maybe even herself-will have been for nothing.

Spanning nearly a decade, The Royal We is a richly imagined, emotionally compelling novel that examines, with warmth and wit, what truly happens after your prince has come.
There are few books that truly have the power to encompass my every-waking thoughts. The Royal We left me in such a state of bliss and mind-reeling happiness that I couldn't come down from for awhile. This book has ruined me in the best possible way. The Royal We is the cutesy contemporary standard now, and I feel bad for my next read...

I can tell instantly by reading a synopsis when I've found a Rachel book. This isn't merely a Rachel book, this is THE Rachel book. Complex and lively characters? YES. Beautiful and flawed romance? *swoons & sighs* Humor? *laughs out loud* Royalty? *curtsies*  Emotional writing? *sniffles* Addictive plot? *eyes stay glued to the pages* 

The writing is brilliantly done. It's written as the protagonist looks back on the events that lead her to where she is now. I love the ominous hints that the protagonist leaves, it keeps us thinking and wondering and anxious to continue reading. How could things ever go wrong for this seemingly fairytale-like story?! This book really packs a punch. The Royal We brings a wide scope of emotions to the table. My anxiety levels were through the roof, I cried, I laughed, I grinned. 

The characters in this book are absolutely charming and endearing. There are many characters in this book, and I love how each character brings something unique and important to the story. A sparkling cast with lots of fun and genuine moments, you can't help but love them all. Our power couple is simply stunning; you can't help but root for them throughout all the problems thrown in their way. The swoony Nick is -well- swoony. He's confidant and compassionate, yet he has a gentle and vulnerable side. Rebecca, informally known as Bex, is loads of fun and a great protagonist to follow the story through.

I've always loved stories about royalty, and this book provides a hilarious account of someone on the Inside sharing the trade secrets. This book has pop culture references and is stamped all over with fun moments, sad moments, and just stories of life. We see all of these characters grow from the youthful and light-hearted college students to the sophisticated members of society throughout the years. This isn't just a story about love, it's a story about life and friendship.

The romance in this book is the flawed perfection that I hope to find in life. I love the inside jokes, the small things, the sweet moments, the difficult times. I love how this couple alters and changes throughout their lives. This story takes place over a long period of time, and it's fascinating to see how their relationship changed and evolved throughout. The sweet and sincere romance drove the plot to new heights. It was so realistic and amazing. Bex and Nick are definitely a top couple for me!

If you're in the mood for a cute and romantic novel that will steal away your heart and entire day, this is the book for you! 

25 comments:

  1. This one has been on my TBR for months! I'm occasionally in the mood for a chick lit book and I've been hearing such great things about this one. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well! I'm going to have to pick it up soon since I've been reading such intense books lately and want a book that will make me laugh/swoon =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding those books that you can totally just clutch and go "THIS WAS WRITTEN FOR ME THO". XD So I'm glad this one did that for you!! Aww, it sounds totally adorable. And did you say complex and lively characters?! *goes to goodreads immediately*

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a beautiful read! I am a huge fan of books about kings and queens, regardless of the genre , and I also love romance reads with equal amount of angst, emotion and cuteness. Thanks for this amazing rec, Rach! Wonderful review btw!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like it'd be such a fun and fresh read Rachel, I like the sound of the pop culture references and the royalty moments just reminds me so much of Princess Diaries which I adored. Sounds like you enjoyed this so much Rachel! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like the kind of book I'll enjoy too! I really like everything about British (maybe even a little obsessed), and the romance sounds beautiful too.
    Great review, Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a fun read! It reminded me of a movie in which the girl falls for a Denmark prince or something, really fun movie! so i will assume this book is also really good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This also sounds like THE Julia book. I'm a big sucker for royal stories, and if you combine that with my love for romance, well . . . basically I NEED this book. ASAP. I'm off to the bookstore, so thanks for the well-written review, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness where has this book been all my life?!! I need this book now. I have the worst possible book slump and I know.this would totally fix it. Thanks for this review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review, Rachel! Isn't it so nice to finally find the book that has everything you're looking for? I'm so happy you ended up loving this and then some! I've been wanting to read something with royalty for a while now (I'm getting that Princess Diaries crave) so I'll definitely check this out. I reckon I'll love it!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of the romance in this one! Inside jokes are the best. They make me smile when I catch them. :) Great review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo, this does sound adorable! I'm not a huge fan of romance (as you might have heard me roll my eyes far too much at contemporary...), but I'm glad you really enjoyed.

    I can't typically tell from the synopsis whether or not I like a book, but I can definitely tell by the first few chapters. O_o

    Fabulous review, Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, this one had sounded good, but your review has made me want to read it even more!! It is going on my TBR list. I'll probably pick it up when it is in paperback. Or maybe from the library. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wanting to read this one for so long, but withheld because I knew that the time-span was pretty long and I didn't know if I was interested in that type of thing. However, after reading your glowing review, your repeated mention of the flawed romance (my favorite type), and swoony Nick, I really think this is my thing. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always make me so, so excited to read books that I haven't even heard of! I love that you found your Bookish Soulmate and that you loved everything about it :) This book sounds like perfection, Rachel, and I can't wait to read this--all thanks to your gushing, raving review! Great job, hun <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cover reminds me of Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding! Nice review, I'm excited to swoon over Nick now since i haven't swooned over a fictional boy in a while *_*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow! What a beautiful review, Rachel. I've had my eyes on this one because I've seen it all over the blogging community, but I'm totally pushing this to the top of my TBR. I love the sound of all the characters, but especially the swoony romance.
    Wonderful review! I'll be sure to let you know how I feel about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, haha, I wouldn't have expected this book to turn out so good, to be honest! Most of the time fluffy contemporaries are exactly that -- fluffy and not particularly memorable, but I'm glad that The Royal We wasn't your standard summery romance read. It really does sound amazing, and the cover is so adorable with the minimalistic artwork!

    "Our power couple is simply stunning; you can't help but root for them throughout all the problems thrown in their way." -- Nothing's better than a couple that is so shippable it physically hurts, right? I can probably count with two hands the number of books with ships that have made me feel that way. That's how romance is supposed to be done, authors! ;) The characters sound super sweet as well, especially Nick. I'm not one to look forward to romance in books, but this one definitely has me curious, thanks to your review, hehe.

    I hadn't heard of The Royal We before this, so thanks for putting it on my radar, Rachel! So glad you enjoyed it, and it'll definitely be a nice book to read during summer. (Or not really, since there's no summer where I live, but it's always hot here, lol.) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. have to say that this is the book for me. Apart from all the swoon and romance GAH! I have to have this book in my life since like yesterday. This will also be my first royalty read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought this one might be a typical read but 5 STARS?? Really : D I haven't read too many books on royalty besides Princess Diaries, but this one sounds adorable though. Awesome review Rachel! <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  20. My roomie keeps talking about how she'll marry a prince - I'm pretty sure this is her next birthday present right here. :D The first thing I thought of when I read the title was the song by the Silversun Pickups, but it sounds interesting, and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds so AMAZING! I love your review!:D I haven't read that many books about royalty and this sounds like a perfect introduction with its lovable and quirky and thoughtful characters!
    Can't wait to read this book and love it as much as you have:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Why haven't I heard about this book before?! It seems to have everything one could possibly want in a book! Brilliant writing and a perfectly flawed romance? I'll be getting this one soon. Lovely review, Rachel!

    Sophie @ Seamless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that feeling of finding a total "you" book, and I'm so glad this one felt like that for you Rachel! ♥ Definitely going to have to check this out, especially with the amazing characterization, gripping plot and addictive writing you speak of. Plus there's nothing wrong with a swoony romance, right? ;) Thanks for sharing and fabulous review! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. This book sounds like everything I ever loved to read! Pretty darn sure it would be "my" book as well :D Lovely review x
    Ruzaika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
  25. I totally dismissed this as some cheesy made for tv type of story and I'm kicking myself now! This sounds so perfect!! I'm buying a copy immediately! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)