ARC Review ~ Queen of Tomorrow by Sherry Ficklin

Series: Stolen Empire #2
Genre: YA Historical Fiction
Page Length:  280 Pages
Publication Date: July 14th, 2015
Publisher: Clean Teen Publishing
Source: eARC via author (thanks Sherry!)
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo
Sophie—now Catherine, Grand Duchess of Russia—had a tough first year at Imperial Court. Married at sixteen to Grand Duke Peter, heir to the throne, and settled in their own palace, things are finally looking up. As a new day dawns, she thinks only of securing her future, and the future of their country, during one of the greatest political upheavals of her time. Fighting desperately against forces trying to depose the Empress Elizabeth and put the young Prince Ivan on her throne, Sophie soon finds herself in the middle of a war brewing between her beloved Prussia, and her new empire. But even as she navigates the fragile political landscape, she quickly realizes that she has only begun to discover the tangled web of deceit and infidelity woven over the lavish court of Oranienbaum Palace.

When a strange and delicate alliance forms between the young couple, she glimpses a future of happiness, only to see it lost in a moment at the hands of those who still seek to end her life—and prevent her reign. Out of favor with the empress and running out of options, Sophie will have to sacrifice her own innocence on the altar of Russia if she is to save the nation, and herself. To survive, she will have to do the unthinkable, betray those closest to her and become something greater and more dangerous than she ever imagined she could be… a queen.

Historical fiction is quickly becoming a favorite genre of mine. I love the attention to detail, the decorum, and the speech. The sequel to "Queen of Someday," a historical fiction novel on the early life of Catherine the Great captivated me once more with a dazzling story of love and politics.

In book two of The Stolen Empire series, Catherine adjusts to her new life as a duchess, heir to the Russian throne. She's managed to find some semblance of happiness in her dreary, tragedy-riddled life. She's at peace with her husband until something horrible spins everything out of control. Something that forces Catherine to take drastic measures that will change her forever.

I love Ficklin's writing style. It's as elegant and graceful as the setting and time period. Her writing is both succinct and descriptive all at once. Theres no pacing problems, the light and dark scenes well-matched.The dialogue was authentic to the time period as well (that's one of my bookish peeves). So many unexpected things happened in this novel, we're left reeling after each and every revelation.

I truly admire how wonderful the characterization of this series is. It's fascinating seeing Catherine grow from the doe-eyed innocent to the strategic, shrewd woman we know her as now. In this book we see her deal with problem after problem and watch her change a bit each and every time. We meet a few new characters and lots of interesting things arise. Peter is such a complex character, and we learn more and more about him as the story progresses.

The court politics is easily one of my favorite parts of the novel. The gossip and the decorum and the parties, I love it all! If you enjoyed the first book, you'll enjoy this stunning sequel that raises the stakes even higher.

About The Author:

Sherry D. Ficklin is a full time writer from Colorado where she lives with her husband, four kids, two dogs, and a fluctuating number of chickens and house guests. A former military brat, she loves to travel and meet new people. She can often be found browsing her local bookstore with a large white hot chocolate in one hand and a towering stack of books in the other. That is, unless she’s on deadline at which time she, like the Loch Ness monster, is only seen in blurry photographs.

11 comments:

  1. I am so glad you liked this book like I did Rachel! The Stolen Empire Series has become one of my favorites. I definitely agree with you on the court politics. It was one of the best aspects of the book.
    Chioma @ Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading more historical type fiction but not YA - I may have to check this series out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really liked the few historical fiction books I have read, but I definitely need to read more of this genre, and this seems like a great book to start with. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also falling in love with historical fiction especially after watching Outlander and Poldark! I have not read the first book so I just spoiled myself lol. Awesome review, Rachel!

    ~Karina @ A Reader Under The Sea

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world building, decorum and speech really gives historical fiction it's flavour,and it sounds like that was done really well in this one. Thanks for the awesome review Rach! Glad you were able to find one that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this series on Goodreads. It is definitely going on my TBR list for sure. Great review, Rachel and thank you for stopping by. :)
    Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been seeing this one around! I'm intrigued by the cover. And only 280 pages? Super short! Court politics, historical fiction, definitely interest me. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, Rachel!

    Fabulous review :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This books sounds like it has everything that makes historical fiction so amazing. It's definitely one of my favorite genres but I hardly find books that beg to be read. It seems I should start the series ASAP. Great review, hun. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea this was based on Catherine the Great, she's one of my favourite historical figures (a woman who loves her real estate is one after my own heart) - will be checking this one out. Fantastic review!

    Aentee @ Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this book myself earlier this month! :) I didn't like it too well, but I also didn't hate it so I guess, to me, it was sort of a tie. It was partially because I couldn't remember what happened in the previous book that continued in Queen of Tomorrow, LOL. But I did enjoy the plot and flow of the story! Very interesting and intriguing! Great review Rach <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh god, I love this series. It's surprising, since I started out disliking the first book, but it quickly grew on me. I loved Catherine's characterization too! The author is doing such a good job of transforming her character. Peter is such a pig. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)