ARCs ~ The Lowdown

ARC photo ARC_zpsbkjycvpg.jpg

To start, I'd like to reiterate something. ARCs are not everything. ARCs are a privilege, they are not a right we have as bloggers. ARCs are a part of blogging, but it is a very small part in the larger scheme of things. If you're blogging just to get ARCs and free books, then you need to rethink your priorities.

When is the best time to request ARCs? Where do I request ARCs? How does requesting work for each publisher?

Have you ever asked any of these questions? I saw them on Twitter a few days ago, and I thought I'd share my knowledge and help clear away the proverbial cobwebs.


General Information:

I usually say the earlier the better when requesting ARCs. If you see galley mailings going out already, you're probably too late. Consistently blogging for 6 months and a following of around 500 followers is a good statistical place to be in when requesting ARCs. Lots of publishers except lower counts too. It's really about how far your social media + blog reach is. Every publisher has their own criterium. I've been told that an active Twitter account and cross posting to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Goodreads is helpful. If you're a newbie blogger, I recommend using Netgalley and Edelweiss and starting with eARCs. Only request books that you know you're going to read and review! Another thing, NEVER sell an ARC.

**Alyssa @ Eater of Books brought up a wonderful point I'd like to post here.
As bloggers, we aren't entitled to get a response back from a publicist. They are very busy people and have to allocate their limited time and resources, so you may not always get a response. Don't pass around publicist contacts you have nor should you try to learn personal publicist contacts from others. Those are earned! You can't simply expect or feel entitled to be added to blogger lists for galleys and seasonal emails, it's simply beyond your control sometimes. Publishers will deem with whom they want to work.

There are plenty of wonderful posts you can find that give broad and detailed explanations of what ARCs are, how to write an email request, and what to do afterwards.
I like these ones best:
How To Get ARCs and What Not To Do
How To Get ARCs: A Step-by-Step Guide

Macmillan (Imprints - Feiwel and Friends, Swoon Reads, Henry Holt, Farrar Straus and Giroux, Roaring Brook Press):
Email: childrens.publicity@macmillanusa.com

Overview - Macmillan has a seasonal catalogue that they send out to a blogger list via email every book season along with a Google Form. I have not tried requesting from them via publicity email, but some bloggers have told me they get responses, especially for Swoon Reads requests. eARCs can be requested via Netgalley. There is also a blogger galley request form you can access here.

Timing - Macmillan sends their books out around 2-3 months prior to the publish date of their earliest seasonal release. Ex. Firewalker by Josephine Angelini comes out September 1st, and galley mailings for the Fall 2015 catalogue went out late June. Winter 2015 mailings went out in October 2014, and the first published Winter 2015 book was out in early January 2015. I'd request 4-5 months in advance.

Harper Collins (Imprints - Balzer+Bray, HarperTeen, Greenwillow Books, Katherine Tegen, Epic Reads Impulse)
Email: Cindy.Hamilton@HARPERCOLLINS.com

Overview - Harper Collins has two galley mailings. There is one list for big bloggers that have worked with Harper for a while, and they get mailings for books quite early in advance (3-4 months). There is a second galley mailing that happens around 1 month prior to the book's release, and books are usually sent in bundles of three or four ARCs (all books with similar publish dates). Finished copies are also sent out to some bloggers. eARCs can be requested via Edelweiss.

Timing - Harper Collins really likes the 3 months in advance rule.

Penguin (Imprints - Dial, Dutton, Putnam, Razorbill, Viking, Philomel)
Email: youngreaderspublicity@us.penguingroup.com

Overview - Penguin has a Blogger Request Form which you can access here to request Penguin titles. There are sometimes one, two, or possibly three mailings for Penguin titles. I've seen Penguin send a first wave of ARCs out 3 months in advance. I've seen a second mailing go out 1 month prior to release. I also sometimes see finished copy mailings of books two weeks prior to release. It's different for each book and the marketing/publicity strategy they have though. Sometimes there will only be one ARC mailing, sometimes there will be no finished copy mailings. In regards to receiving an ARC, it really depends on the popularity of the book. I'm not sure how often Penguin checks the publicity email, so I'd stick with the Google Form. Also Penguin has a First To Read program where you can request eARCs. They do not accept bloggers via Edelweiss.

Timing - I'd request 4 months in advance.

Simon & Schuster (Imprints - Aladdin, Margaret K McElderry, Simon & Schuster BFYR, Simon Pulse)
Email: ChildrensPublicity@simonandschuster.com

Overview - Simon and Schuster also has diverse marketing/publicity strategies. For the most part though, galley mailings occur around 1 month prior to the book's release. They respond to emails sent to the email address listed above. eARCs can be requested via Edelweiss.

Timing - I'd request 2 months in advance.

Scholastic
Email: TradePublicity@scholastic.com

Overview - Scholastic can be reached through the email address listed above, and they do send replies. They mail between 1-2 months prior to the book's release, and I hear that they accept most requests. eARCs can be requested via Edelweiss.

Timing - I'd request 3 months in advance.

Bloomsbury
Email: childrenspublicityusa@bloomsbury.com / teensUSA@bloomsbury.com

Overview - Bloomsbury usually honors requests as long as they have enough books. They can be reached through either of the above email addresses, although I think they like the 2nd one better. There is also a seasonal blogger email that goes out along with the catalogue. Sometimes for highly popular books, Bloomsbury does two galley mailings (one far in advance, and one much closer to release date), although for the most part it's just one mailing. I've seen ARCs go out for one book 5 months in advance while a different book goes out 2 months prior to publish date. eARCs can be requested via Netgalley.

Timing - I'd request 4-5 months in advance to be safe.

Hachette (Imprints - Poppy, Little Brown)
Email: publicity@lbyr.com

Overview - Hatchette's teen division, NOVL has a monthly newsletter. Attached to each monthly newsletter is a form to fill out for a chance to win the galley they are mailing out for the month. Also you can send requests to the email address above. They also have Read Now promotions on Netgalley for eARCs to the first 500 members who click on the link. You'll be notified about it via email. Grab those!! Also they have implemented a galley request form available here. eARCs can be requested via Netgalley.

Timing - I'd request 4 months in advance.

St. Martin's Press (Imprints - Griffin, Thomas Dunne)
Email: publicity@stmartins.com

Overview - St Martin's Press has a blogger list, and every few months they send an email with their newest titles to request via Google Form. They respond to emails sent to their publicity email listed above. I'm not sure if they send out ARC mailings for every book. I see them at conventions and occasional blogger mailings, but they do send out finished copies sometimes. St. Martin's honors many requests from what I've seen. eARCs can be requested via Netgalley.

Timing - I'd request 4 months in advance.

Tor
Email: torpublicity@tor.com

Overview - Tor responds to emails sent to their publicity email. They send out ARCs as well as finished copies. I've received ARCs around four months prior to release, and unsolicited finished copies come around 1-2 weeks prior to release.

Timing - I'd request 4-5 months in advance.

Random House
Email: rhkidspublicity@randomhouse.com

Overview - I haven't personally requested from RH before, but I have gotten unsolicited finished copies before (and those happen all at once right around publish date). The lovely Alyssa @ Eater of Books shared some knowledge with me on Twitter since she's a pro at all this. Random House has a rolling galley mailing where they'll send out in waves based on when you request. The official galley mailing varies but is usually 2 months before release. eARCs can be requested via Netgalley.

Timing - I'd request 3 months in advance.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Email: childrens_publicity@hmhpub.com

Overview - HMH sends the general galley mailing around 2 months prior to release. According to others, HMH will sometimes send your requests within 10 days if it's far before the general galley mailing time. (Thanks Genissa for that info) eARCs can be requested via Netgalley & Edelweiss.

Timing - I'd request 3 months in advance.

Disney
Email: DPW.Publicity@disney.com

Overview - Disney is in the middle of changing their galley requests and distribution method. They used to use a blogger list and send a catalogue every few months. Now they are switching over to something more similar to Bloomsbury and Macmillan with a Blogger List form (I think). They respond to emails via the email address listed above. eARCs can be requested via Netgalley.

Timing - No idea at the moment, their format is changing! Prior to the change, 3 to 4 months in advance. (Thanks Sajda for that tidbit)

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to ask them below. Also if I made a mistake please let me know, so I can fix it!

38 comments:

  1. This is really cool and very informative, Rachel! I hope this applies to International Bloggers as well! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh thank you SO MUCH for this post, Rachel! As a relatively new book blogger, this information is oh-so very helpful to me.

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO helpful, thanks a lot Rachel! :'D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, thanks so much for this incredibly helpful post! I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to when to request--most of the time I'm too late and already see galleys being mailed out. ._. Definitely bookmarking this page!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post. I still only request from Netgalley and Edelweiss since I am newer but love seeing posts about physical ARCs. One day maybe I will request some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, this was super helpful, Rachel. The only question that I have, is that is it possible to get print ARCs mailed to you if you don't live in a mojor country like Australia/US/UK? Because I live in Pakistan, and I've been curious for a while now. Lovely post <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This a really great and informative post, Rachel! Thank you for this. I've only requested a few times before when I was still very active in blogging. I had my share of rejection, and it makes me sad sometimes especially those arcs that I've been eyeing for so long. But I didn't fret since there's always a positive side for everything :D I'm trying to get my footing back in blogging and sometime later I might go back to this post and seek it as reference! Again, thank you for this ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this! I've been wanting to learn more about requesting ARCs and this has pretty much all the info I could ever need! This makes things a little less scary! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really helpful. Thanks a lot for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was such a helpful blog post. I'm just starting to learn about requesting ARCs from publishers, and this helps a lot so I know when it's best to request them, and I have their emails too from this post. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a life saver!! I knew most of the information, but the time limit thingy. Thanks so much Rachel xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very interesting to see. I will most certainly keep coming back to this as it's very helpful since I always suck at timing my requests. Though I don't think Hachette accept email requests anymore since they have their newsletter NOVL where they give away an arc to the first 50-60 people who sign up with the form. When I've sent requests before, they've always sent a general email that talks about their newsletter. But thanks for compiling all this info, Rachel :)

    ~Karina @ A Reader Under The Sea

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't really think there is a certain timing to request arc's or a certain number of followers you need to have honestly. I got my first earc from NG from Harlequin Teen within a month of blog and I had like 5 followers. I got my first print arc from them too within like 3 months and I had way less than 100 followers. I'm also not active on Twitter and I hate to admit this but I don't post my reviews on Amazon anymore (they always get rejected for the dumbest reasons).
    I think above everything, being courteous and respectful when requesting an ARC and keeping things professional as well as posting consistently on your blog is probably what they are looking for.
    No, ARC's aren't everything, but I think we can all admit it's one hell of a perk :)

    Thanks for sharing this. I suck at requesting ARC's because I always forget and it's hard to remember sometimes how long you should wait for which publisher, so NG and EW are lifesavers for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for this post, Rachel! I've been requesting physical ARCs for a while but lately I've been trying to get put on more mailing lists, and the insight is so valuable! :)

    Em @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post is so extremely helpful to me! I'm still only in the beginning phases of my blog but when I do finally get to that point that I will be looking back at this post for some great advice and tips! Seriously, this post is one of the best things I've seen and I really appreciate that you took the time and effort to write this up for us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fabulous! Thank you so much for putting it all together! Now, if you can just find someone to approve me, we'll be all set ;)

    In all seriousness, this is such a great resource, I am bookmarking immediately!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for putting this all together Rachel, it clears up a lot of things for me and a lot of other bloggers it seems. I definitely bookmarked this so I can refer back to it in the future :)

    Amber ❤ The Book Bratz

    ReplyDelete
  18. THIS IS GREAT RACHEL.

    I remember my first email (like a month ago) when I completely botched it up, sent it to the wrong publisher, etc. But in the end they were super nice about it and redirected me to the appropriate publisher. So that was nice, though embarrassing and mortifying. Ah well life goes on.

    I think it's also important to say that although follower count does matter, there isn't a strict guideline for how blogs are approved or not! Also, sometimes publicists don't email back, and BOOM you get the book in the mail anyways. I hope that happens to me with this one book....hahahha. OK I'M DONE.

    LOVE THIS POST RACHEL. YOU ARE THE BEST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I agree with Val, that happened to me about a month ago with Hatchette books. I requested a few books and they redirected me to the appropriate publishers, it was really embarrassing. Anyway, I love how you took out the time to list these publishers and their requirements - HarperTeen finally had approved me! Well, I requested once a year back but then I gave up later one -

      One publisher gave me attitude sometimes though, I think it's the intern that works there LOL and so I gave up on them. BOOKMARKING THIS POST! Thank you :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

      Delete
  19. I've actually never thought of it this way. This post might not help me because I'm not in Canada but I hope it helps people in the US. I love that you took the time to collect this information!

    I just request when I hear about a book - usually, it goes pretty well but sometimes, I'll be out of luck. I don't think it's about the race for ARCs, though. The worst thing is we don't get it and have to wait for release date. Not so bad :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great resource! I bookmarked it even though I am TERRIBLE about requesting ARCs. Thanks Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post Rachel! I think for anyone who's been blogging for a while and is looking to start requesting ARC's this is a fantastic guide. Requesting well in advance is definitely a worthwhile tip for some books - especially for the really anticipated/popular upcoming releases! It's definitely true to understand that publicists are busy people and so we should always be polite when requesting - it's a privilege, not a right. Thanks for sharing :)

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great post, Rachel! I remember back when I was so obsessed with ARCs (not anymore hahaha) and was so in distress on how to go about requesting them. I'm pretty sure this will help a lot of people out there who need some guidance when it comes to this thing. Good luck to everyone out there! Just remember that ARCs are not the be-all end-all to book blogging. When I adopted this mentality, I always became happy whenever I get something from the mail because I never expect.

    Thanks again, Rachel! <3

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  23. THIS IS SUCH A GREAT POST! I'm a newbie so having such a helpful lists and being able to understand how to do request them and what not to do is really helpful!:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for this post, Rachel! It's really helpful, although I don't go around requesting for physical ARCs yet. :) I'll bookmark this page for future reference, though. Also, I would like to know which of those publishers send internationally. I know some don't send ARCs to international bloggers. :) Thanks again!

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for sharing this Rachel. :) So much helpful and invaluable information here - you are so sweet to be willing to share it with us all! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. It'll be at least 5 months before I'll be brave enough to request ARCs, but I just wanted to say I admire the effort you put into this extremely thorough post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you. This is valuable information for new and seasoned bloggers! <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for this valuable information! My blog will be a year old this November and I am just waiting until then to actually reach out to publishers. For right now, I have been sticking with NetGalley. This was very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very informative! Great post! I don't really request too many ARCs as I have a ton of books I own I need to read, but this will come in handy down the road. Especially the Scholastic info. They sent me a physical ARC with my last shipment at the end of the school year, and I wanted to let them know what I thought about it once I read it. Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. I have bookmarked it so I can refer back to it. Even though I have been reading/reviewing/blogging for quite some time, I have found that we never stop learning. Thank you again for this valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post Rachel! So thorough and informative! Thank you so much for all the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Really helpful and interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a great post, Rachel! I've been blogging for about 3-4 years now and I only just got back in touch with my personal blog last November. I think I'm too chicken shit to email the pubs and ask for arcs. I wouldn't even know what to say in those emails.

    But, I am bookmarking this for in case one of these days, I am brave enough!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is perfect! I don't know how to thank you. I've bookmarked this and will be consulting it from now on. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm confused. How do you get on these mailing lists?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks so much for this post, I hadn't realized a couple of these mailing lists existed to it's good to know that I can ask to be on them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is an amazing post, Rachel, and has been super helpful!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)