Blog Event Recap ~ Mary E. Pearson & Marie Rutkoski


I went to a wonderful book event to see one of my most favorite authors Mary E. Pearson and the lovely Marie Rutkoski!! I've been anxious to meet Mary for so long, and we talk on Twitter quite often, so imagine my surprise and excitement when I discovered she'd be signing in San Diego right near where I was staying for vacation. It was probably the best coincidence ever.

I got to the event 15 minutes early and bought copies of The Kiss of Deception, The Heart of Betrayal, and The Winner's Curse along with bringing in my copies of The Kiss of Deception and my ARCs of books 1 & 2. I sat down in the front row and tweeted a bit until Mary came out.

Marie was nowhere to be seen and the moderator hadn't come over yet, so I went up to Mary and introduced myself. When I said "Hi, it's Rachel!" she recognized me and gave me a huge hug and we both fangirled and squee-d for a bit. Then we talked for around 10 minutes until the event started. She is soooo sweet and funny, and ahhhh it was surreal getting to meet and chat with her!


The questions were wonderful, and I wish I had recorded or taken notes. I tweeted a bit though! Some of the details I tweeted:

-Mary quit her job to become a full-time reader. She sold the first book she wrote.
-Marie adds a flair of Jane Austen in The Winner's Curse (the balls, the dresses, the gossip)
-The Kiss of Deception shows how as much as the world changes, some things still stay the same like war
-The Winner's Curse's struggle between the Herrani and the Valorians is influenced by the struggle between the Romans and the Greek
-The Kiss of Deception is built on the ashes of a previous advanced world
-Marie loves suffering in romances as long as there's a happily ever after

Marie and Mary both agree that they wrote romances inwhich both characters would stay true to themselves even while in love

I waited until the end of the event to get my books signed and chatted with a lovely Macmilan employee whom I had just met. We talked a lot, gabbed about our favorite books, and it was fascinating getting to learn about how marketing in publishing works! So nice to meet you, Ashley!! 

I talked to Marie for a bit, got TWC signed, and then chatted with Mary again while she signed 5 books for me. She is so so so so sweet!!


I've never been to a bad signing before, but this one was especially fun!! 

14 comments:

  1. YAY for awesome events!! Thanks for sharing this recap with us, Rachel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Marie Rutkoski seems like such a sweet person just from her Twitter alone so it's cool you got to meet her! Plus, she likes Sailor Moon yass ;) I really need to pick up The Kiss of Deception soon too, I've heard great things about it (especially about some plot twists ooh)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah it must have been awesome getting to meet those two authors! Also, the flair for Jane Austen must have been why I loved The Winner's Curse so much haha. And the last point - YES. All the suffering in the world is fine as long as there's a HEA. Thank you for sharing, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so cool that you get to meet one of your favorite authors! Like you, (we'll like you before) I'd never been to a signing BUT I think it's more because of the area I live in than anything. ♡ I loved to see your pics and I'm glad you had a BLAST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get my hands on The Heart of Betrayal, aahh. And yay for these recap posts. We don't have book signings or anything anywhere near where I live so I always love getting a glimpse of the fun. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. So jealous you got to meet Marie Rutkoski and Mary E. Pearson! I actually haven't read any of Mary's books (yet) but you can bet they're on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw I'm so glad you had such a great time! Whenever I go on vacation I ALWAYS check to see if an author will be signing in that area/close to it so I can stop in. ;P It's ridiculous, I know, but I live in a place that NEVER gets authors, so I always keep an eye out for authors that might be nearby when I'm out of town. It hasn't panned out so far, but hey! Someday.

    I have yet to read Marie Rutkoski's series or Mary E. Pearson's, but truthfully: I'm sort of waiting for the end of the Winner's trilogy before reading it. c: I *might* give in between now and then, but I like the idea of binge-reading the entire trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every month, there are authors coming here in the Philippines for a book signing and so far, only Marie Lu's book signing I've attended to :( Anyways, I'm so glad that you enjoyed this event! It would be a goal to meet Marie in the future. I loved The Winner's Curse & Crime. I have yet to read Mary's books but I'm really looking forward to it.

    edit: ***Mary not Marie (that was a lil' bit confusing hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would love to meet these ladies someday! Their Mac series are phenomenal. I always miss their events in DC -_- Glad you had a great time!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like such a fun day! I wish we had well-known authors drop into my city... oh well! I haven't pickd up a book by either of the authors yet so I need to amend that!

    Rachel @ Rachel's Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh!! Sounds like you had a fantastic time! I love reading posts about events. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww Rachel both of the authors you met sound fabulous! That's lovely how you got to meet Marie in person and that she recognised you! Thanks for the insight into both of the authors too. Thanks for the recap hun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that looks like it was an amazing event Rachel! It's always lovely to meet authors in person and fangirl about how much you love their books.

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a fun event Rach! I am so glad that you were able to attend and it's so awesome that Mary recognized you! That would have been an epic fangirl moment, huh?:)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)