Dearest America Singer ~ A Helpful Letter & Guide to Good Parenting

This post was inspired by something I tweeted. Then I realized how much I wanted to write this.
Dearest America,

Although we've had our differences, I come to you in peace. I come to you with a plea. You don't know me (yet), but I'm from the future. I have an urgent matter that I must bring to your attention. What I'm about to tell you could alter the future as we know it. It's a risk I need to take though because nothing can be much worse than it is now.

You're going to have a daughter. Her name is Eadlyn. First of all, the name choice. Really? How the heck does one even pronounce it? Second, she. is. horrible. I'm sorry to offend your future offspring, but it is crucial that I share these shocking truths with you. All of Illéa is royally pissed off at your daughter and only you can fix this. How might you ask? By raising her better. Sorry to critique your parenting skills before you've technically even started, but whatever you do in your future was not enough.

Now you might think I'm overreacting, but I can assure you I am not. I've included a detailed profile of your daughter. Warning, these statements are brutally honest. It shames me to say that your daughter has fallen far from the tree. Someone must have knocked the apple off the proverbial tree and punted it into the next orchard field. To start, your daughter complains all the time. Life is so hard for her. She has someone to wait on her hand and foot and has never had to do a stitch of manual labor. She probably can't even do her own laundry. She hasn't experienced half of the hardships you have. That's not her fault, but maybe showing her a bit more perspective and telling her what your life was like would make her more thankful for what she has. She's so ungrateful!


Eadlyn is completely selfish. She is jealous of every bit of happiness people have and wants the sun to rise and set at her command. She wants everyone and everything to revolve around her. For example, your son has a great relationship with another girl, yet Eadlyn attempts to persuade him to ditch the girl just so he'll stay at the palace with Eadlyn!! Gosh forbid her brother have any source of happiness not coming from herself. How utterly selfish. Maybe having her share her toys and play nice with others in her youth would solve this problem. And don't put her up on a pedestal. Stop feeding her ego. Her desire for attention stems from the lack of attention she was given as a child. Be attentive! I know queen-ing is probably difficult work, but you've got to be a mother first.

You have a job, just like everyone in the world. Stop acting like it makes you more or less than anyone else.
Eadlyn is completely unfeeling and rude. She treats everyone like crap and then cries when she realizes no one likes her. I wonder if she even has emotions sometimes... Her sadistic nature horrifies me as well. If she can't be nice to people, then how is she going to rule the nation? You have to be likable and compassionate.

"This is strange," I said, picking up one of he applications. "I don't want to be judgmental, but look at this. I caught three different spelling mistakes for this one."
Mom took the form. "It's possible he was nervous."
"Or an idiot," I offered.

"Why were you so harsh? For a few you simply said 'no' or flicked your hand."
I tried not to let the worry show on my face. At the time those things had seemed kind of funny.

Your daughter wrongly believes she's better than everyone else just because she's a princess. That title doesn't mean ____ if she doesn't do anything good with it. You need to instill good, moral beliefs in that child. Ones where she doesn't believe she's God and that everyone should worship the ground she walks on. She needs to learn that being a princess does not give her the right to be a whiny, self-absorbed brat who can look down on everyone else. She's elitist and blames everyone else for her problems. Don't spoil the girl, and don't let her believe she's better than other people because of her title.

“I fully believed my current state was not my fault, not even in the slightest. I knew who to point the finger at, and they were all other Schreaves. I blamed Mom and Dad for not being able to get the country under control and forcing me into this situation, and I blamed Ahren for trying to get me to consider these boys in the first place.” 
“I’m smart and beautiful and strong. I don’t need to be rescued.” 
“Love did nothing but break down defenses, and I could not afford that. 
“Didn't they know who I was, what they'd trained me for? I was Eadlyn Schreave. No one was more powerful than me.
I hope you'll take all I've said into serious consideration. The future of Illéa rests in your capable hands.

Wishing you all the best,
Rachel

22 comments:

  1. Oh man. I'm so glad I didn't pick this one up then if Eadlyn was this horrid. Lovely post Rachel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the greatest thing ever! I only read the first book in the series, but I'm planning to finish the trilogy. I don't know if I will read The Heir, because I have heard so many bad things, and now with this post I'm even more reluctant to read it. Thanks for writing this, it was truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RACHEL THI IS SO GOOD I COULD CRY BECAUSE OMG I BOW DOWN

    I haven't read this series. THANK GOODDDDD this character sounds like a major bitch, pardon my French. i cannot deal with these stupid and snobby people - if i wanted to, I would go watch gossip girl, which incidentally is what i'm doing right now.

    stay awesome <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you so much for posting this! You are right in Every single way! I couldn't have said it better myself!

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, these quotes make me cringe and I am SO HAPPY I didn't pick up the Heir (despite that gorgeous cover)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh. I literally thought this was going to be a letter to America as a country, but now I see. You're putting me off reading the Heir, which has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of months. Maybe reading about a bitchy brat will be entertaining though.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, this was absolutely AMAZING and I love it so so so much!!! I am so glad I didn't end up reading The Heir because I absolutely detest characters like Eadlyn… Fantastic post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. UGH Eadlyn sounds completely spoilt, uptight and completely ridiculous! I would have a hard time with her as well! This is crazy but when I read the title I truly thought you were addressing the country XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I remember reading this tweet of yours when we had this Twitter party and it was hilaaaarious. I remember reading from many other review from other bookworms and bloggers how Eadlyn's personality is just horrible. I mean, I'm sure she'll realize her selfish ways later on, that's how it's usually is, but still, getting through that horrible personality first must be exhausting! XD

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHAHA XD oh my gosh, this is an adorable idea, and sort of sad. I mean it's sad because her daughter is horrible, she made me want to DNF the book, I loved Henri (and Erik!) entirely too much to do that... But this post is adorable :) Hopefully America will take all of this into consideration :D!
    Happy Reading~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I am going to pass on this one, I haven't heard many good things about it and I am content with America and Maxon's story. Reading those quotes is making me cringe. I love this post though Rachel. It was a really creative idea!


    Amber ❤ The Book Bratz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok I know what to expect out of this book now... -_- Scared to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bwhaha this is FABULOUS! I haven't read this series, and I don't think I ever will because this whole offshoot series literally spoiled the end of the whole Selection series, but whatever. I have not heard good things about this Eadlyn (? Seriously, what IS that? EEd-lin?) and I want to smack her. Hard. Maybe if the letter doesn't work, you should just zoom to while she was about 5 and call CPS ;)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I totally should NOT have read it because I'm not up to the Heir yet, but pfft. I know that it's America's daughter and that she's a bucket of lemon rind anyway so I couldn't resist. XD THIS LETTER IS GOLDEN. I don't know if you've heard of Rangers Apprentice...but in the last book two of the characters have a daughter and omg, they're awesome characters but THE WORST PARENTS EVER. -_- It's really frustrating to read about, tbh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO AGREE WITH ALL OF THIS. I've only read the first few chapters of the book and I really hate Eadlyn! So glad I didn't continue the book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh she sounds like a hot mess, and I'd probably end up throwing the book against a wall! I've only read The Selection and I probably wont get further than that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I haven't read The Heir and I have no intentions to do so but ugh this Eadlyn sounds so much worse than America already and I COULD NOT STAND AMERICA.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many people say they couldn't stand America and now since she has brought offspring into the world. I'm seeing a kind of pattern here, if people didn't care for America and now her daughter. Gosh. But the daughter does sound rude and harsh. Put me in a castle and dress me up with frilly, cute dressed and I'll continue to stay humble.

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAHAHA, RACHEL, THIS WAS GOLD.

    And it makes me so glad that I never wanted to pick up The Selection series in the first place. :P I mean, sure, I was interested in it when I first got into YA, but then I started reading all these bad reviews for its sequels and I just lost interest. The reviews for The Elite (I think that's the book Eadlyn is in? Idk lol) are by far the best, though. They just never fail to crack me up! xD And yeah, most of the time the main reason for that is none other than Eadlyn. She does sound awful. I get that not all characters are angels with beautiful personalities but if you're going to create a character with some bad traits, at least make them relatable, you know?

    "“I’m smart and beautiful and strong. I don’t need to be rescued." -- Ugh, in another scenario this would have sounded badass and strong, but after reading your letter it just makes Eadlyn sound stuck-up. It's mean -- I've only ever read about Eadlyn through reviews, and yet I already hate her. *shudders*

    Thanks for the laughs though, girl! xD

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can we just take a second to give you some applause? *applause* Rachel, this letter was on point. I freaking didn't like Eadlyn at all when I read The Heir and she was definitely a lot more annoying to me than America, and I didn't have that much of a problem towards America as others. I don't think I've ever been so much annoyance towards a main character. I hate how she was just so arrogant and acted like she was didn't need anyone, when indeed she did. She took the Selection like it was a game of chess. I also strongly dislike how she was so whiny about the fact that she had to enter the Selection because ohhh man. Girl, you wanted to be a leader? Well this is what it's going to take for you to become a leader? She does go through a trail of thought in The Heir and hopefully she changes for the next book because if not, *get's ready to leave* Great post Rachel! :)

    ~Kaitlin @ Next Page Please!

    ReplyDelete
  21. THANK YOU!! This is everything I was thinking as I was reading The Heir! I thought it would be a great follow-up book to see how America and Maxon are doing and what kind of people their kids are but Eadlyn stole the show. At least at the end she shifts a little so hopefully in the next book she'll pull herself together and America will have a serious talk with her because SERIOUSLY! I couldn't believe it when Eadllyn didn't know who her mother was before the Selection and how hard it was for her and Maxon!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL I have not read these books, but Eadlyn (what the hell kind of name is that?!) sounds AWFUL. Girl, I would hate her. I love that you addressed the letter to her mom though and not her! Because, yeah, better parenting in YA would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)