10 Travel Essentials for the Book Lover

Hey everyone!

As you may (or may not) know, I am currently on a short trip visiting some colleges and family members on the U.S. East Coast.  My own traveling experiences inspired this post for those who love to explore the multitude of countries and cultures of the world.  And even if you're not traveling very far from home, there are certain . . . provisions, shall I say, any book lover should never even think of leaving home without.

Some of the items on this list should be taken seriously.  Others, well, we can just appreciate them for their comedic purposes.

So let's start packing, shall we?

1. A book
(DUH.)
If you're a book lover and have a 10-hour flight to take, please, for your own sake, do NOT forget the most important travel essential: The Book.  How else are you going to spend your time?

2. A bookmark
(You better have one.)


DO NOT DOG-EAR.  I REPEAT: DO NOT DOG-EAR.

3. Tissues
(for when the feels hit too hard)

I know how it goes.  Sometimes you just have to shed a tear.
It's okay.  Let it out.
And be prepared when you must.

4. Noise cancelers
(to cope with that baby crying non-stop)

I put these at top priority.  How can you possibly concentrate on reading without them?

5. Reading glasses
(please do not forget your eyes at home)

I honestly pity you if you do happen to forget your glasses (or contacts).

6. Caffeine fix
(your morning fuel)
A little something to help you stay awake (and not be cranky).

7. A notebook & pen
(Where else to put all those thoughts?!)


The lot of us are book bloggers.  We need to keep track of our review notes.

8. Squeeze ball 
(to help relieve all that pent up emotion)


Books are emotional roller coasters.  Sometimes we want to scream.  Sometimes we want to figuratively die.  Sometimes we want to do a little happy jig and sing.

Unfortunately, airplanes do not usually allow for such tomfoolery.
And so, thankfully, the squeeze ball is there to meet our needs.

9. A backup book
(The more books the better.)
Let's be real here: The more books the better.  That's the ultimate philosophy to live by.
And a smart one, too.

Let's say perhaps your original reading selection is a bit dull?
Backup book to the rescue.

You finish reading your first book and crave another?
Backup book saves the day once again.

Thank you, backup book. 

10. A whole lot of money
(We're all broke, but . . . but . . . books.)
While on a trip, you're bound to come across the ever-so-tempting bookstore.
Okay: bookstores.

And even though we're broke, come on, you can't say no to that new release.
You deserve that book.

So treat yourself. 

Julia's a dreamer. She often zones off periodically throughout the day thinking up plans for the future, pining over fictional characters, and concocting up possible plot lines for stories.

You can find Julia on her main blog, Peach Print, on Twitter @peachprint, on Instagram @yapeach, and of course, right here on the APCB blog.

25 comments:

  1. AHHH love this post so much! Thanks for the advice on the squeeze ball. I don't travel often but I've been looking for something to just squish when I'm reading because I play with the ends of my book way too often. BTW I always bring like 3 backup books because I tend to read like one book every day when I'm on vacation. This was excellent

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this is such a fun post! This list definitely would have done me well in the beginning of summer. Definitely something to write notes in but when you're staying a hotel, it's always fun to take your notes on the note paper the hotel provides! It just adds to the travel-y feel. Extra books are definitely needed as well because, it's not very fun when you only read ONE book! ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ~Kaitlin @ Next Page Please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh this post is amazing!! Whenever I travel I carry a Fun Stuff bag with me that includes most of these things! I also include a book light (in case it's dark on my travels) and a back up book for my back up book and possibly even a backup for my backup. The last time I went on vacation I ended up carrying three extra books with me. Granted, I was busy most of my time away so I didn't get to them but, you know, for emergencies just in case =)

    Jazzie @ The Book Dancer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squeeze balls don't work for me. Screaming and fangirling hard are still the ways to go. LOL :D And coffee! Oh yes! How are we supposed to run without fuel? And you're absolutely right about the #10. Even when we're broke. T_T

    Great post, Julia Anne! :D

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, this is a great post! A back-up book is definitely a must have! You definitely don't wanna be stuck with a book that's boring.

    -- Nicola Reads YA

    ReplyDelete
  6. NO TO DOG EARING. Sacrilegeeeee. Uh, I can't bear the thought of it. If a bookmark doesn't work, then use the receipt for your coffee! Or a bit of scratch paper. Anything but dog earing.

    I can't ever stand bringing a physical book abroad, though. It's just going to end up battered and unread. Ebooks are what I go to for traveling. Of course, I don't ever really read when I go travel. >.< I'm usually too busy to even want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, this was a great post! I totally agree with you on the dog-earing :)

    Amelia at wonder reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Number 9 is so true!! You can never have enough books when you're out -have to always be prepared!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice list!! I just came back from vacation recently and I forgot to bring a back up book or two with me!! It would have been nice to have a couple of back up books with me as 2 of the 4 books I brought with me to read on my trip ended up being duds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love the post, Julia Anne!!!! I totally agree with #9 (I have the bad habit of thinking I need 4+ extra books, even if I'm going away for a weekend…) But you can never be too prepared, right?!? Haha anyway the Harry Potter glasses made me super happy, and the whole list was so accurate and fantastic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it bad if the noise cancelers are for your own baby? Is that frowned upon?? Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES TO ALL OF THESE! I've just moved to England and I made sure to pack several books in my carry-on luggage, my reading glasses, a bookmark, notebooks and pens as well as my Kindle (even though I have an ereader, I will always bring atleast one physical book. Great post! Also, love the illustrations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, this is great! I know headphones/noise cancelers are a must have on trips because my dad loves to blast music and everyone talks so loud it's like I AM TRYING TO READ HERE. Who needs sight seeing if you have a book? ;) It's funny because I do tend to leave bookmarks at home when I'm traveling :O I just use scraps of paper if that happens. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE THIS! I confess I walk to work listening to audiobooks but I keep it on and just read before I clock on without listening to anything. ;)

    My tablet is a must have though - just in case I finish more than my back up and I'll have HUNDREDS of back ups. Okay, maybe not hundreds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this post! Um, is it still okay to cancel out the cries of your OWN children? I am going to go ahead and say it's fine. Also. Bypass the glasses/contacts and just get LASIK. It's for the best. Maybe we can bring a coffee IV? Would that be allowed? Great. And it's funny- I DO always bring tissues for that reason ;) This is such a great list! I hope you are enjoying your visit to these parts :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahah having bad eyesight is the worst :') And so is not having a book on the plane, or loud noises distracting you from the story, especially while reading one of THOSE scenes. A notebook and a pen will always be a number one, and money; always money.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  17. The first thing I ask when we travel is, "How long is the trip going to take and how many books can I read in that time?" xD I'm a HUGE book crier but I always forget the tissues! Then I have to wait for my tears to dry up on their own, haha! YES TO STRESS BALLS. I so totally need those to chill whenever we come across the book antagonists.

    Loved this post, Julia Anne! xD

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a perfect list! I usually bring my Kindle while traveling because I can carry so many books + a store. Hehe. I never thought to use a stress ball, but that idea is genius and next trip, I'll definitely be adding that to my suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post. Though I never bring book with me when I travel, this way I can buy more things like books... even books in a language I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic post! These are definitely good things to have on hand when you're a traveling bookworm. :)

    -Lauren

    keep in touch - i always comment back!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now that I can read on my tablet, as well as take notes, travel reading is so much easier, especially to foreign countries where it may be more difficult to find books in English. When I am lucky enough to travel with fellow readers we trade off, but unfortunately that's rare since my family doesn't read much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, I am so glad that someone else also brings tissues along for that very reasons! I am such an emotional reader and yeah, you can imagine that it is not a pretty sight without my tissues. And leaving my glasses behind would be a disaster. A DISASTER! I wouldn't be able to read! *gasps* Great list, Julia! And happy travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always bring a book even in short daily commutes but I always forget to bring a bookmark and I don't want to dog-ear so I don't have a choice but to stop reading. Or I attempt to memorize the last page I was in and yes eventually forget when I pick up the book again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I try to restrain myself from packing too big of a book - I know, there's no such thing as a too-big-book, but it can get tiresome lugging Outlander (I wouldn't) around.
    - Krys

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a brilliant list. And you picked the cutest pictures for each option! If my vacation hadn't been cancelled this week I'd be packing up my bag right now! :)

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)