ARC Review ~ The Creeping

Author: Alexandra Sirowy
Genre: YA Mystery/Thriller
Page Length: 400 Pages
Publication Date: August 18th, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster BFYR
Source: eARC via EW (Thanks Simon)
Goodreads

Twelve years ago Stella and Jeanie vanished while picking strawberries. Stella returned minutes later, with no memory of what happened. Jeanie was never seen or heard from again.

Now Stella is seventeen, and she's over it. She's the lucky one who survived, and sure, the case is still cloaked in mystery—and it's her small town's ugly legacy—but Stella is focused on the coming summer. She's got a great best friend, a hookup with an irresistibly crooked smile, and two months of beach days stretching out before her.

Then along comes a corpse, a little girl who washes up in an ancient cemetery after a mudslide, and who has red hair just like Jeanie did. Suddenly memories of that haunting day begin to return, and when Stella discovers that other red-headed girls have gone missing as well, she begins to suspect that something sinister is at work.

And before the summer ends, Stella will learn the hard way that if you hunt for monsters, you will find them.
 
I'm quickly become a fan of the YA thriller and mystery scene, and this book deepened my love for the genre. Aptly named The Creeping, this novel will creep. you. out. 

The little town of Savage had an upheaval when two six year-olds went missing and only one was found. Stella is the lucky one who survived the endeavor, and no one knows what happened to the other girl, Jeanie. Stella can't remember anything that happened that day or any memories before then. The case went cold after the police couldn't find any suspects. Now eleven years later, another six year-old girl who looks just like Jeanie is discovered dead. People speculate that these two murder mysteries are connected, and the case from long ago is reopened. Stella struggles to remember what happened on that fateful day. With the help of her ex-friend Sam and her best friend Zoey, they uncover harrowing information that leads them to a legend about a monster in the woods, The Creeping, who feeds off blood. As creepy things start to happen to Stella and suspicions arise, everyone starts pointing fingers, but is it at the true perpetrator?  

My favorite aspect of this book is the plot overall. Alexandra Sirowy did a wonderful job building the suspense and weaving in all the spine-chilling details. She makes us question everyone's intentions and alibis. The details and the information all start to pile up and just when you think you have it all figured out, Sirowy blindsides us by throwing in another curve to the plot. The main idea of this book is the mystery. This book definitely gives off the ominous and creepy vibes! 

I liked the characters and their diverse personalities, but some of their traits and actions really grated on me. Stella makes some ridiculous decisions in this book. I like her for the most part, but she doesn't think clearly sometimes. All she can think about is solving Jeanie's murder. She does so many reckless and foolish things that could potentially endanger her, and I just wanted to shake her. Her best friend Zoey is so mercurial. I love her loyalty and protectiveness for her friends, but her obsession with personality and her harsh tongue annoyed me a bit. Sam is really thoughtful and generous, but I hated how he let Stella walk all over him at times. He didn't stand up for himself... I really liked the friendship and camaraderie among Stella, Zoey, Michaela, and Cole. It was nice to see such great friends stand up for each other and support one another when they're down.

The romance was a bit strange. Although the two had known each other for a while, they kind of just jump back into things and start to like each other again after YEARS. And then they start saying "I love you," and it just wasn't realistic to me. They did have great chemistry though... 

I really enjoyed the horror/thriller aspect of this book and the creepy plot. I'd recommend you try this one out around Halloween :)

14 comments:

  1. I'll be marking it as a Halloween read for sure! Sounds like it was a fantastic & creepy mystery even if the characters were annoying sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see the creepiness being a great appeal on this one, but the characters seem a bit ho hum to me. The romance doesn't really sound convincing either. Great review Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a very similar reaction to the book! I adored the horror/thriller aspects of it but I really didn't like the characters (at least at first.) Stella could be SO annoying sometimes and I hate how she let Zoey control her as if she didn't have any sort of opinions of her own. I do like that she comes to realize how much her decisions are based on Zoey's opinion though. Zoey, TBH, was kind of frightening. I liked that she was loyal but I felt as though she took it to a whole new level...

    I LOVED that twist at the end though. I thought it was refreshing and I loved the implications of it! :)

    I am glad you managed to enjoy this one too, Rachel! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of this one a lot, especially the story telling and the mystery part of it. I enjoy reading thriller books but they need to be done well. I don't know how I'll feel about the main characters from your review, but it's good to know before going in that they are that way.
    Great review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh! I want to read this book so bad!! :) So glad you enjoyed it and I will definitely be putting this on my list for October! :D
    Great review, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh from the book cover and the summary this sounded like a creepy book to read!! I also like the mystery in the book, it seems really interesting!!! I'll make sure to keep a look out for this book when it comes out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oohh I love a good suspenseful read! Although it does annoy me when characters make foolish decisions. Still might think about reading this one. Great review!

    Also, I nominated you for the Blogger's Recognition Award! http://blowoutbooks.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stella sounds like your stereotypical heroine in a horror film. hahaha. I'm really looking forward to this book! So glad to know that it gives off that creepy vibes (aside from its over of course!).. Really can't wait to read this! Great review, Rachel! :D

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure I would completely buy the romance, but I like the creep factor. I'll consider reading it in the Fall when I go for the creepier reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not really familiar with this genre, but it's time I try new ones and this book definitly intrigues me. I'm not easily scared in books, but I think this one might do the trick. I'll totally add it to my TBR and read it for Halloween. Great review ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a bummer with the romance. But I'm actually really pulled in by the thriller aspect of this. I just hope that the main character doesn't get on my nerves like it did with you. Thanks for the amazing review, Rachel!

    ~Karina @ A Reader Under The Sea

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read any thrillers from the YA genre but I've been hunting around for a good thriller/mystery for so long now. So I HAVE to try this one out and since you liked it maybe I'll like it too. I'll take your advice and read it during Halloween so it can be extra spooky. :) Awesome review chica!♡

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with your review completely! I loved the mystery part, I loved Sam, and I loved Stella when she wasn't being ridiculous ;) But Zoey, man she made me MAD for a good portion of the book. SO mad. And I agree about the weirdness of the romance, BUT you are right, there was chemistry! Which is why it probably bothered me less than it should have ;) Fabulous review!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a copy of this one and I am definitely looking forward to it! I think the suspense is just going to make the plot so wonderful, and it sounds like it is going to be well worth my time.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)