August Wrap-Up


Sadly August is coming to a close, and that means school is right around the corner. 
Where has this summer gone?!

August Reads:


Little Bee, The Mayor of Casterbridge, and The Party is Over: How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless, and the Middle Class Got Shafted, were dull yet not as bad as most of the school summer reading books I've had to read in the past. I binged the Landry Park duology and loved it. Definitely a new favorite! Truly, Madly, Famously, The Secrets of Lake Road, and Dream Things True were quick reads yet relatively insignificant and unmemorable. Uprooted and Vengeance Road were both exemplary books for their respective genres, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. The lovely debuts Everything, Everything and The Girl From Everywhere were both phenomenal.

In My Life: 

I've been working more and more on my physical fitness. I've made a schedule to go to the gym three times a week, and I've upheld it for the most part! I've been sucked in by Pinterest, and I obsessively use that site. My senior year starts on September 9th, and I'm equal parts nervous and excited. 

August Reads:


Reading-wise, August wasn't the absolute best of months.  However, I did read a lot of awesome books!  My favorites: An Ember in the Ashes, The Wrath & The Dawn, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and Heir of Fire.  These highly hyped, highly praised books did not at all disappoint.  Finally I understand the squealing and the fangirling.  Rome in Love and Love, Rosie were both cute chick lit books, though I prefer the latter.  5 to 1 was a quick, poetic read that I ended up enjoying but didn't absolutely love.  Look out for my review!  It'll be up sometime this week.

In My Life:

School just started last week and it has been brutal.  Apparently teachers believe juniors in high school don't require sleep.  The homework has been PILING. UP.  I dream in math formulas.  I see kanji characters when I close my eyes.  If you're reading this, send help!  

Haha, okay.  Maybe I'm slightly over exaggerating.  I do enjoy learning, and I'm more than grateful for my education, but it's always hard to get back into the school routine.  Two months of summer vacation can do that to a kid, you know?  The main problem is, there's hardly time for reading or blogging!  (If you're wondering why I've been a bit silent on social media.)  I apologize.

Agh, how does everyone do it?  You all are my idols.  If you haven't yet gone back to school or work, savor those final glorious days of summer!  And I wish you the best of luck for a good school year.


August Reads :


August was a month of less reading and more blogging for me. I fell into a horrible reading slump, which sucked because I had a lot of time in my hands, but on a brighter note, every single book I read in August was a great read!
Reawakened was a surprise physical ARC. It was my first one as well, so I was pretty excited to read it. I really enjoyed it as well. Legacy of Kings was an e-ARC via netgalley, which I loved a lot. Both The Archived and A Darker Shade of Magic were amazing books, and has made me decide that Victoria Schwab is my favourite author. Highlander Most Wanted and The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie were both historical romances, which I really enjoyed. A Step Toward Falling was my first physical ARC from Harper, and it was a nice, beautiful story I adored.

In My Life:

It was holidays for me! I mostly spent the whole month lazing around in my room, either blogging or reading. There were few rare days when I went out, squinted my eyes at the sun and attempted at socializing. 

August was a good blogging month for me. I hosted my first event over at my blog, Learnt it the Hard Way, and I was so happy that it was a success. I also got my first physical ARCs, and I am super excited about it! 

And I am looking forward to September! Advanced Levels officially start on the 9th, and I am really nervous yet excited. Plus my birthday is coming up!!! And all those beautiful releases! This month is going to be epic!

On The Blog:

APCB Announcements ~ Lots has happened at APCB this month.
APCB Got Co-Bloggers! | A New Blog Design | APCB Adds <-- New Feature!

13 comments:

  1. Omg Rachel, good luck on senior year! You're almost to the finish line. :') and yay for fitness! I totally need to work out more.

    Bro Julie, I totally get you about junior year. It's like my teachers :) don't :) think :) I :) have :) a :) life. Good luck to you too, in surviving school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaaa!! Y'all read a lot this August! I unfortunately did not. Classes have started. Boo. Good lcuk with your about-to-star classes. And wow, Rachel, you're so ambitious about the gym! I admire that! I actually work out, but god, it's difficult to be so organised!

    Vane at Books With Chemistry

    ReplyDelete
  3. like truly, where has the summer gone? like this entire year, it felt like it passed by in the blink of an eye. not quite ready to go back to school just yet haha. and congrats on sticking to your gym schedule rachel! that's a hard thing to do! i've been trying to workout at least 5 days a week and i have been lagging for the past few days but making sure tomorrow will be different. also i start my junior year the day before you go back :)

    and julia, yikes i'm scared going into MY junior year now. so i'm sending you help but also worried that i'm gonna need my share of help when i start school next week.

    have a good september guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great wrap up! I read An Ember in the Ashes during August as well and I LOVED it. SO GOOD! And I loved A Court of Thorn and Roses so much. I can't wait for the sequel to both of those. I really need to read The Wrath and the Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck in school, and good luck with your fitness goals Rachel!

    I can't believe it's September 1. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mishma - I'm currently reading Legacy of Kings, and loving it!
    Julia - An Ember in the Ashes is def one of my faves of the year. :D
    Rachel - Ahh, so pleased to hear you enjoyed The Girl from Everywhere. It sounds so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with school! And well done with going to the gym, Rachel! I'm definitely going to begin exercising this month! :D I really want to read Everything Everything - IT LOOKS SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with school! I don't know how I'm doing it - school and work is starting to take over and if I don't change my work schedule... I might be as doomed as Mishma. Dx

    And yay to whoever birthday is coming up - mine is too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with school, all of you! Since I'm going back on the 8th and I'm like UGHHHHH but since it's 10th grade, it should be good! Your reading months were all better than mine. So glad you got to read lots of good things. Mishma, congrats about the first physical arc! So happy for you <33

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, all those shiny new books you both have read *__* Good luck with your physical fitness and senior year, Rachel! I've been trying to listen to audiobooks while exercising and sometimes it works if I'm feeling focused haha. Have you tried it?

    Good luck with school work Julia! Are you learning Japanese because I recognize kanji? :D Mishma you sound relaxed and busy at the same time lol, go and ace those A Levels though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you guys had a great month!! I also loved Everything Everything. The Wrath and the Dawn and ACOTAR are so high on my TBR - I need to get them!! Also I just got A StepToward Falling so glad to hear it was good. I can say that I do not miss school. Nope. But good luck with it! It goes fast. Hope you have a great September!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh good on you for going to the gym Rachel! IT's hard to keep up with but good on you!

    So glad to hear lots of the hyped books you read lived up to it Julia. Good luck with getting back into school!

    Congrats on your first ARC Mishma, that is super exciting! So many wonderful books here, some of them are on my TBR for this m onth.

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)